Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a couple of hours free on Monday so I pulled out the battery from the front and put it in the rear.

I looked around the back of the car and found a nice place. Screwed the base down. One screw was too short so I went to the Home center got a longer screw.

Screwed it down and .....smelt gas.

Called the shop and asked them to pickup the car.

Felt sooooo stupid.

Go to start the car to get it onto the car carrier , have power but the car won`t turn over.

Push the car onto the truck.

Get to the shop look to see why the car won`t start.

I installed the battery in another place. Still won`t work.
Have power and everything but it seems something has gone terribly wrong.

Am I missing something here (besides part of my brain)???????

The + cable is hooked up the - cable is bolted to the metal floor.

Is there something I have missed ?????

Your Humble Servant For Life

Robert VanLane

·
Registered
426 Posts
The ground cable must be connected to the body AND the engine. Remember, your engine/tranny (and therfore starter motor) are isolated from the car body by rubber mounts. Try bolting some thick guage wire from a large clean bare metal bolt on the engine to a likewise point on the body in the engine compartement.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It seems that you don't have a good ground (-).

When I moved my battery to the trunk, I didn't have a good ground in the back(tried several places), so I ran another cable all the way to the front.

One thing is having Voltage another is having the Amps that you need.

My $0.02,

Carlos.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Put the battery back where you found it!

Actually, There are many hooror stories about inadequate grounds and from first hand experience, it is probably a good thing your car did not start. You could of landed up destroying your ignition system, tach and alternator.

Cheers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot.

I had installed a larger ground cable from the frame to the engine and I thought that would be enough.

Will get a 10 ft cable tommorow and bring it too the garage.

The Garage is saying I screwed up the CPU and maybe a bunch of other stuff.

I hope not.

Forever in your debt.

Robert VanLane

·
Registered
163 Posts
Another thing to remember is the size of the wire you use to run to the front of the car. It has to be big, really big. Find yourself some AWG 0 or AWG 00. Thing large jumper cable big.

The longer your wire and/or the thinner your wire the more it acts like a heater wire. If your wire is acting like a heater it looses voltage as it makes the wire warm. You end up with only 9 volts (for example) at the other end rather than the needed 12 to 14 volts you need. Some car computers will operate on about 6 or 7 volts (my Honda for example) some cars will die if the voltage drops to 11v (my POS Ford Trucks).

The grounding comment is an important one however your car should already have a large ground wire running from your engine to the chassis. You need to make sure you have a large enough ground connection running from your battery to the chassis and that your car has good chassis conductivity from where you connect the battery to the engine. Your ground stud near your battery should be at least a 3/8" bolt with the bare metal exposed to washers on either side of whatever you are bolting it to. Even better is to weld a stud to your cage (this is a rally car right?) then bolt to that.

Also remember that the battery should be contained in a box of some type and the battery as well as the box should be bolted down. You don't want a 40 pound missile bouncing around in your car spewing burining acid do you?:eek:

Good luck, and update us with what you find.

Bradney A. Boli
Over Exposure Racing
Honda Accord #311

·
Registered
103 Posts
Question:
Is the handling of the car improved so much as to warrant the time/trouble/expense?

Happy Motoring

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>
>When I moved my battery to the trunk, I didn't have a good
>ground in the back(tried several places), so I ran another
>cable all the way to the front.
>
¤¤¤¤unless there is some sort of rubber atriculation or severe rust separating the trunk from the rest of the car, the metal in the engine compartment used for the grounding of the battery is sorta kinda connected to the metal in the trunk, there would seem to be no reason to run a ground cable full length and the screw it to the SAME CAR BODY, no. But you must really ground the motor with minimun same gauge wire as the main + cable, probably smart to run a second similar ground elsewhere.
Look around for some thing else, bad starter grounds generally will find their way back to ground some way or another.

plus you didn't say if it cranks slowly or just clicks or what.
Could be all sorts of things, best to sell the car.
>Carlos.

John Vanlandingham

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hope the CPU's aren't totally trashed...

Had the battery in the trunk of the old Mazda rally car. The battery cables had been run all the way back forward to their original hookups. The cables were double-thickness-rubber-jacketed welding cables, absolutely huge, for minimal resistance in the run. Never had a lick of trouble with it...ran the battery to zilch more than once trying to start ye olde beastie on a below-zero day, but never had any battery/electrical troubles per se from the remote install.

Why move it? Weight balance (the prev owner and a few of the various co-drivers made me look skinny...hey Oran, remember Garrett and Mike?)
Plus, the RX-3 could bust the back tires loose at will, and was a tad tail-happy.

:7

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everybody.

It is solved.

When I pulled out the airconditioner wiring I unbolted the ground wire connected to the radiator fan relay.

So it was a problem with the grounding.

The upside is I have become very knowledgeable about my car`s wiring.
Very intimate actually and I hope my car appreciates the blood I spilled shoving my fingers into her crevices to make sure she doesn`t have any loose wires.

The next step is too go to the doctor to make sure I don`t have any loose wires. My wife feels that I must have many loose wires to spend time and money racing.

Robert VanLane

·
Registered
630 Posts
>Very intimate actually and I hope my car appreciates the
>blood I spilled shoving my fingers into her crevices to make
>sure she doesn`t have any loose wires.

Cars NEVER, EVER, appreciate your spilled blood, they just want more each time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
>Cars NEVER, EVER, appreciate your spilled blood, they just
>want more each time.

Great name for the Car would be the 'Audrey 2'!!

(Little Shop of Horrors reference) :+

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
Oh the brown shade of dried blood on engine parts . . . a sight I know well.

·
Registered
946 Posts
>
>>Cars NEVER, EVER, appreciate your spilled blood, they just
>>want more each time.
>
>Great name for the Car would be the 'Audrey 2'!!
>
>(Little Shop of Horrors reference) :+

Or Christine? Drive it backwards after an event, and it repairs itself to showroom condition.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts