Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder if Buffam/Libra Racing ever attempted to get a NASCAR driver to drive the media car? Seems it would get more attention than some of the celebs, editors and writers thus far.
RallySport's attempt to have Robby Unser drive at STPR was well received and good promotion until the car's turbo blew while testing. Hope Robby gives rally another try later.

What do you think? What celebity or racecar driver (non rally) would best promote the sport if given a ride in the Hyundai and why?

No, Brittney Spears would not do it. She'd get dirty.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The reason for the Production car is to promote Hyundai the car, not rallying. Having a Journalist drive the car in a rally and then write a story about it, is equal to spending tons of Money in Advertising. Having non racing celebrities and journalists also reaches a broader audience than just car racing fans. A celebrity in the car has many PR advantages too.
Putting a NASCAR driver in would be a disaster
A)They would only know how to turn in one direction- right into the trees!
B)The steering wheel is too small in a rally car
C)They would expect a 12 second service
D)we would end up with tons of beer guzzling fans in the woods
The upside-BUDWEISER GIRLS!!

This would make an excellent top ten list

·
Registered
151 Posts
>What do you think? What celebity or racecar driver (non
>rally) would best promote the sport if given a ride in the
>Hyundai and why?

Two words: Jay Leno.

·
Registered
95 Posts
>What do you think? What celebity or racecar driver (non
>rally) would best promote the sport if given a ride in the
>Hyundai and why?

Richard Crenna.

Mike Anson
In the Midwest? Join the Rally Cabal!
[email protected]

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
>Putting a NASCAR driver in would be a disaster
>A)They would only know how to turn in one direction- right
>into the trees!

Uh, wouldn't that be left into the trees?

:)

Ben

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
>>Putting a NASCAR driver in would be a disaster
>>A)They would only know how to turn in one direction- right
>>into the trees!
>
>Uh, wouldn't that be left into the trees?
>
>:)
>
>Ben
Just goes to show how much I know about the roundie rounds! I've never watched more than 3 minutes of a NASCAR race in my life, and proud of it!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Anyone remember the RoC this past year? Wasn't it Robbie Gordon that was tearing it up on the course?
Anyway, I am not a NASCAR fan, but think it would be a good decision to have a NASCAR driver in a rally. Sure there may be some NASCAR rowdies with beer, but then there always some rowdies with beer that are serious rally nuts.

Last night there was something on VH1 about rockstars in the off time. No I am not a fan but, Something Carter from a boy band owns an offshore racing team. He was able to bring a younger and different from the norm of offshore racing crowd. So think of it that way.

Here are my votes:
Dale Earmhardt Jr.
Christina Aguilera (if Britney won't I am sure she would)
Vince Neil (already races cars and MX)
Chad Mcqueen ( if dad could do it why not)
Vin Diesel ( show the ricers about rallying< okay it would be funny to see a bunch of rally ricers, or it may hurt the sport. This one was to get my wife in the woods more)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Don't forget, Jason Priestly ran Sunriser a number of years back in one of Vinnie Frontinan's cars. Every prepubescent female from Zanesville to Columbus was shrieking his name down in Yoctangee Park (and I have the tapes to prove it...). He didn't do bad -- a mid-pack finish in what I think was his first rally drive.
Lessee here...Ricky Martin + rally car...interesting possibilities here, huh? :7

·
Registered
281 Posts
well...

Buddy Rice (google it if you don't know the name)

first ride in IRL, came in second (Michigan 400), formula atlantic champion, currently a part timer for Cheever. He WANTS to drive a rally car, would have done it last year too, wasn't what Hyundai wanted in their rally car though...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Personally, I think everyone is on the wrong track making suggestions for Hyundai. If you leave it up to a sponsor then you loose control of the situation. The sponsors first priority is peddling its wares not promoting the sport, not to say there aren't sponsors or employees of sponsors that have the interests of the sport at heart.

It is SCCA who should be devising and managing this type of promotion.
I'm surprised it hasn't been done yet however with the structure of their organisation there must be someone who knows someone who knows someone that could put them onto a celebrity that can still remember how to drive (chauffers and auto trannies ya know).

If manufacturers can put up a dozen new cars to be banged up by celebs at Longbeach each year, then I can't see a problem in the SCCA being able to secure just one for a rally.

There are enough "stars" who just love fast cars that would probably do it free. Names that spring to mind include Jay Leno, Nicolas Cage,
Rick Dees, Tim Allen then again you have someone like Steve Williams (Tiger's caddy) who still races. Perhaps he could talk Tiger into co-driving!!!!!

Not alot to it really, just ensure it's an event close to a major population center!!!!!

Just my thoughts on a dreary summer day on the farm.

Don

·
Registered
426 Posts
Just an amusing side note, I heard (on Autoweek, I think) Britney Spears is doing a new movie in which she plays a race car driver. Her inspiration came from her favorite movie "Days of Thunder". HahaHahahhAhaHAhahahahahhahah...ahhaa..haahaahaha.:7

·
Registered
240 Posts
Jason also ran in SCCA Trans Am as well as some other road racing stints.
Why not the girls of Playboy go rallying? Hmm there own VW Playboy Rabbit Group2 car...

·
Registered
590 Posts
Give her a few years and she will be be concerned about Thunder *THIGHS*

;)

Matt Manspeaker
Seattle, WA USA
89 323GTX - Open

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Easy fellas. I think Hyundai should put in that car whomever they damn well please. It is THEIR CAR, fercryinoutloud...or have we forgotten that little bit of information?

The car has paid dividends, I'm sure, in good press. What's more important, anyway? Inviting a rock star or circle track driver for a one off drive so they can go away and forget about it, or inviting an automotive journalist who will not only write an article, but may continue referencing his ride in future articles...and who will likely jump at the chance to do it again (with possibly better results and another article).

But at the end of the day, it ain't me nor you nor any other armchair marketing guru who has the say...it's Hyundai.

Knowing how much it costs to field a modern car, even in Production, I think its admirable of them to even support such a car.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Relax Lurch, the whole post is just for fun, kicks and giggles. We know Hyundia isn't reading it or care what we think and that it is their gig.

I'd had thought we'd have seen actor Perry King back in the driver's seat, perhaps in his own car, after Hyundia gave him opportunity in the Production car at Maine Forest a couple years ago. Friday night he was so into it; checking all the results at the pizza party. Guess punturing the radiator and DNFing the following day demoralized him. Seen him with the motorcylce crowd at Sturgis so guess he has other interests as well. Maybe it was his driving that had Hyundia rethink that it is better to have automotive journalists who know something about driving to drive the car than charismatic celebrities.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Actually, There will be another Actor using the car at up coming rally. I can't say who it is, but unless you are female in the 16-20 age group, you will be unimpressed.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
I'd like to see one of the guys that run SpecialStage.com get a chance to drive the car.

A suggestion? Hmm...

Me! :+ :+ :+

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.