Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Heresy! Haven't you been reading?

No one wants hybrid rally cars.

They don't pop, fart, and bang.

The manufacturers aren't building rally parts for hybrids, so God forbid someone will have to use a little imagination rather than ordering ready-made parts.

They are too quiet.

They won't win the over-all national championship against Open class.

They aren't testosterone injected macho-machines.

They aren't sexy like Subaru econoboxes.

High school kids beating manufacturers? Betcha they could beat Pro-Drive too.

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
I'd love to see some pics of this thing. I read some article the other day about a 250 MPG modified Honda Insight. Just ran on more batteries.

I'd rally one if it was given to me. I wouldn't rally it on my own dime for a multitude of reasons, a few of which Jens said, but the greatest being that I think new cars are too poorly and weakly built to withstand the abuse of rally, with the exception of a small, small handful, and even these are weaker than the cars of the 70s and 80s. Now a hybrid methanol Pike's Peak car on the other hand... People might show a little more interest in that. New Lexus V6 hybrid running on Methanol in a tube chassis with a full carbon Prius body and AWD drivetrain with old Celica or Corolla WRC tranny and diffs.

Hmmm. Maybe I can get these guys to build me a car for Pike's Peak that's a 4 second to 60 hybrid monster.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Congratulations to those kids.
Only problem is that is a one off concept car. If the Prius did 0-60 in 4 seconds it might get a second look from enthusiasts.
That is until some of them get hit with 270V when they're messing around modding it.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
bah 270v... the worse shock I ever got was 440 AC and let me tell you that hurt. I supose that could explane a few things about my personality or at least spelling (not realy I was a bad at spelling prior.)

Now I think hybrids as sold today are stupid as they have a higher TCO (total Cost of Ownership) than other cars (and if you wish to burn less gas drive less or some other cheaper energy savings) but there was a Benz that used a diesel and an electric motor with some storage to make a very fast car, faster than their other models in that body- now that is thinking.

Derek

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Russ,

Keep 'em pictures comin'. Some of the guys here have no imagination short of pulling out a credit card and ordering ready-made parts.

·
Registered
478 Posts
and you have a really bad attitude. the reason so many people run subarus and mitsubishis is because they are tried to true to race, survive, and win a rally.

you're talking about using imagination and innovation and make a solid hybrid rally car. with the current rules and restrictions in the US rally program, that is an incredibly expensive task. i don't know about you...but no way in hell could i ever afford to shell out several hundred thousand dollars to make a hybrid open class car that would be capable of competing IF maybe half of the field of open class entries broke down, because the type of imagination you're talking about is only possible in the open class category.

e-mail/call/write honda or toyota. kick open the door over there. they are the companies that have the funds to push this kind of project...not the average racer who buys already made parts to keep their cars legal to compete.

im all for the future...but you can't expect such an enthusiastic reply to your posts unless you can think of a better way to go about it.

as for that biodiesel volkswagen project...that is cool. i'd drive it...although i rode in a biodiesel pickup once...smelled like frenchfries.

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
RE: Hybrid Hack Attack

You have to realize, that you could take a stock Hybrid and race it with all .8L and 40 horsepower and easily win the Production class. You'll only have to run one set of tires for the whole year, and you could probably use snow tires instead of rally tires. Just make sure you get to every event. The car won't be fast enough to be dangerous or have any real offs. Though if you do the flimsy pos will crumple and you'll need a new shell even though you only hit a small stump. Viva le inva hybrid!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>and you have a really bad attitude.

So spank me.

>you're talking about using imagination and innovation and make
>a solid hybrid rally car. with the current rules and
>restrictions in the US rally program

There aren't ANY rules for hybrid or alternative fuel vehicles. That is the point of this excercise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts