Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Reliable rumors have it that Mike Hurst picked up George Beckerman's 1977 Dodge Colt.

Welcome to the ranks Mike! Tell us about it!

Rich Smith
Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>Hey Guys,
>
>Reliable rumors have it that Mike Hurst picked up George
>Beckerman's 1977 Dodge Colt.

Wait a minute, that car was Lewis Tripp's car built out here in Sleezattle, it's probably all infected with viral-agitation spores!
And that naughty Mike Hurst probably has evil intent, most of the cars he does,even if all cars are, in his words, junk, usually he puts together soe pretty effective junk.

Isn't that car a '77?

Then what's it doing on the historic forum, there is significnat differences in the technology of cars of that date compared to say a 71, big differences.
And lots of them too
I just can't think of any just now.

But I'm sure there are, so better ban it!

>
>Welcome to the ranks Mike! Tell us about it!

Yeah Mike what's cooking?
Maybe egos will subside, and a sensible H class or Vintage or Classic date of end of 1980 will be chosen as the cut off date and when there is enough entries then a split can occur.
>
>Rich Smith
>Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
>Wait a minute, that car was Lewis Tripp's car built out here
>in Sleezattle>

Built?, It looks to me like a stock colt with a safety devices swing-set bolted in. George said Lewis had another car that was wrecked and most of the parts were put into this shell. GB gave me a good deal, more parts than I could carry off with my box truck, many parts new, still in their mopar packages, Glass, brake parts, etc..

>of the cars he does,even if all cars are, in his words,
>junk, usually he puts together soe pretty effective junk.

This car's definitely up to my standards. Man, how did they make the metal this thin? I guess back in the 70's when B-210s were still on the road, no-one noticed how ugly a '78 colt was! This car is amazingly rust free, except for little spots from rock chips or where a fly landed on it and dented it....
A colt is a rare sight in these parts, I haven't seen one of these on the road in 15 years.

This car was last registed in '88 (WA), been stored indoors since

>
>Isn't that car a '77?
>

It's a '78, built 12/77. It has a 2.0 from an 80's D-50. Not a Historic, never will be, and I don't care. I'm going to make it look pretty (ok, maybe just less ugly), use it for rallycrosses, maybe put a real cage in it and go GTI hunting, club only, of course.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Whatever Mike plans to do with the Colt, I'm sure it will be done right.

As previously mentioned, it is the ex-Lewis and Karen Tripp car from the Great NW. The story Karen Tripp told me was this car's nickname was "Lew Number Two", because their first Colt (a '77) had a bit of an accident and the shell went to Rally Heaven. This car (technically a '78) was then purchased and built using the rally parts from the first car.

After the Tripps moved to Michigan, the car spent years stored in the corner of a hangar next to Karen Tripp's airplane. When I bought it a few years ago, it came to the farm and mostly shared space with big 4WD John Deere tractors. Once in a while, I would take it out to wake up the neighbors. Maybe now, Mike will return it to rallying and strike fear into the hearts of the GTI crowd.

For some reason I have a soft spot for this model Colt which looks like a shrunken, shortened Ford Maverick. The 92 inch wheelbase and narrow track can give you a few "Fruit-of-the-Loom" moments at high speeds.

GB the GG

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Tee hee fly landing and denting it, that's good, but have a look at the fiiiilthy stiiiiinking crankshaft, it's bigger than a 6.2 Chev Diesel, really!
And they used the same crank in 1800s, probably weighs 60 lbs.
Block is pretty humourous as well.

Well have fun and don't embarrass the Golf boys too much, they'll protest you for being a big meanie! Shove a Dana 30 axle(28mm axle dia vs Coltabitchi 22mm and they do break) under it and give it some long links. And maybe a steering rack.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Registered
339 Posts
RE: Colt Prep

Speaking of crazy stuff,

I just purchased a 74' Dodge Colt. Cendiv folks will know this car as the Purple Colt that's been seen for around the last 5 years.

I'm not sure if someone is allowed to Rally an EVO one weekend and a 74' Colt the next, but I like breaking rules.

Brian

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

Now out here in Seattle we seem to keep old cars running a long time. There is a very nice street 71 Colt parked in my downtown garage most days.

Derek

·
Registered
1,368 Posts

>I'm not sure if someone is allowed to Rally an EVO one
>weekend and a 74' Colt the next....

But a Mustang and a Colt are ok, its just a horse of a different color.

Mine will be an Indianapolis Colt, I'll never be able to win a playoff rally.

·
Registered
265 Posts

>
>Clicking on the pages 1 thru 5 gets "page not found" note.

oops! a problem with uppercase vs. lowercase in filenames. it has been corrected.

- tw

1 - 16 of 16 Posts