Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had more fun on Hungry 5 than should be allowed.

Even though we spun I love the diving away right 5 into left 4(?) with 2 nicely placed crests. I also love the spectator point with like 5 corners. The left 6-(?)off-camber with the mailbox on the apex is cool too. Sometimes I have a problem with hitting mailboxes.

But what really makes you feel like a studly Druid is the huge fire these guys always have blazing towards the end where it's real fast. They probably have some freshly slain venison roasting just out of view of the conservation officer I would imagine. I thought I saw some spears, too. My guess is that's the place to hang out.

Thanks to all those involved. We had tons of fun.

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
I agree Jake! That is by far my fav stage of Sno*Drift.

The sequence thru the campfire crowd, pedal mashed & tail end sliding is the coolest & the spectators there and the hairpin(?) are awesome.

Mike/Dan, please dont ever let Hungry 5 disapear.
:7

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
From Mike, Don, the entire Sno*Drift crew and the residents on Hungry 5. We will always plan to include the stage.

Some of the official types will never be comfortable with our best fans standing on their lawns, but Hungry 5 is one of the best examples of resident support in the country. They anticipate the rally, they schedule parties for it, and they are very cooperative.

And although I am locked in the radio room so I have not seen the running of the stage, I can imagine it feels a little European.

Thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I've always felt that Hungry 5 was the stage that best defines what Sno*Drift is all about. It seems to be the favorite of everyone from the competitors down to the organizers, residents, and spectators. Every year, Marilyn & I drive the stage(slowly, of course) on our arrival in Atlanta, even before checking into the motel.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Last year I was stage captain on Hungry 5. When I first drove through it to check out bannering and place marshals, I was amazed at how many people were there, and some of them would not let their driveway be banner guarded ("we've done this for years, we are not going anywhere"). The cooperation of the "natives" there is just one more example of how much homework the Sno*Drift committee has done to make sure things flow smoothly and safely. Also, no cops ever said anything about the rally cars backing up on the "main" road before entering the stage (as they have done at other events) - another example of SD doing its homework.

It sure looks a lot different at speed, with photographers everywhere at the spectator corner (> !). Now, HOW did you have time to look at the snowmobile for sale?

That said, how did this stage ever get started? With my organizer hat on, I would not even think of including a stage with that many houses.

press on,

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
>The bonfire people also seemed to be very vocal as well!
>From what I could hear...

I met them on Saturday night in the bar by the Mobil in Atlanta. They were vocal there, too. But no venison to be seen. Eventually, they decried the lack of girls and said they were headed to "the City." Alpena, it turns out.

Other thoughts about Hungry 5:

1. Yee-ha!
2. It was yellow. And on the left. The snowmobile, that is.
3. That guy is using a Canon AE-1, or maybe a silver Nikon FE. Yes, it was really that close. (See Pete's pics)

Cheers,
- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
Registered
183 Posts
Loved it! It was somewhat surreal for a CA resident like me to be seeing all this Swedish-style spectating in the snowy northern forests, but after the first run through I couldn't wait to get back there.

The level of spectator turnout on the whole event was really good. They are hardy souls indeed and I hope we provided them with some great entertainment. Special thanks should go to our handbrake too...

Neil.
Team SoCalRally Audi Quattro.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Actually, EVERY stage on Sno*Drift is a county road and has residents. The committee gets written permission from all of them to close their road(how odd that ir really IS their road, unlike in Ohio). Some roads are just more heavily populated than others.

The County Road Commissioner lives on Camp 8. His is the mailbox on the ouside of the turn, just before the finish. We've had to replace it on occasion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts