Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a question that I don't know is historic or not:

What was the last stage rally that used hundredths of a minute in the US?

Are any active organizers still a fan of this method? (I'm not asking why, as such beliefs are near-religious, just if. *grin* I know the pro/con arguments.)

Anders

·
The Scorpion King
678 Posts
Here's a question that I don't know is historic or not:

What was the last stage rally that used hundredths of a minute in the US?

Are any active organizers still a fan of this method? (I'm not asking why, as such beliefs are near-religious, just if. *grin* I know the pro/con arguments.)

Anders
Don't know if it was the last one, but Prescott '09 used hundredths.

--
John

·
Registered
334 Posts
GPTPR runs in hundredths- just as God intended. We don't need no stinking seconds!
We run our rallycrosses in hundredths too.
Dave Parps
Co-Chair, GPTPR.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
GPTPR runs in hundredths- just as God intended. We don't need no stinking seconds!
We run our rallycrosses in hundredths too.
Dave Parps
Co-Chair, GPTPR.
As soon as we eradicate the unbelievers and their TSD clocks, the world will become a better place, with minutes and seconds to force codrivers to do real math.... ;)

We also won't end up with events where one control team uses hundredths and the rest use seconds, plus we have the advantage of plentiful backup timing devices when the dedicated rally clocks decide to act up.

Adrian

·
Registered
297 Posts
As soon as we eradicate the unbelievers and their TSD clocks, the world will become a better place, with minutes and seconds to force codrivers to do real math.... ;)

We also won't end up with events where one control team uses hundredths and the rest use seconds, plus we have the advantage of plentiful backup timing devices when the dedicated rally clocks decide to act up.

Adrian
I don't know Adrian, I find it hard to get my hands on any sort of device that allows you to split or freeze "time of day" apart from rally clocks, sure you can look at a digital clock and be almost accurate to a second - provided it is set to official time in the first place, but the rally clock is going to have an important role until someone makes an inexpensive atomic clock that allows you splits.

and it is still easier to add hundreths when totaling scores on events that don't have semi-pro scoring teams- since you don't need to do any "divide by 60 subtract remainder" stuff when numbers get bigger than 60...

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
I don't know Adrian, I find it hard to get my hands on any sort of device that allows you to split or freeze "time of day" apart from rally clocks, sure you can look at a digital clock and be almost accurate to a second - provided it is set to official time in the first place, but the rally clock is going to have an important role until someone makes an inexpensive atomic clock that allows you splits.

and it is still easier to add hundreths when totaling scores on events that don't have semi-pro scoring teams- since you don't need to do any "divide by 60 subtract remainder" stuff when numbers get bigger than 60...
Since the common rally clocks I've seen can be set to run in seconds there is no reason to run in hundredths and lose compatibility with your backup systems.

I seem to recall having run at least one event every year where one (or more) stages managed to get timed in the other system compared to the rest of the rally (usually hundredths when the rally was being scored in seconds).

The rest of the world seems to manage fine with seconds. The only place I ever ran into timing in hundredths was at selected events in the US, where questioning it seemed to be the same as questioning one's support of a particular NASCAR manufacturer. ;)

Adrian

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
OK Anders, what is your real agenda?

Last SCCA rulebook (2004) and current RA rules (at least through 2009 - I don't have 2010) states (jimmy - tenths of seconds didn't used to be there):

"7.7 TIME ASSESSMENTS

B. All official time assessments may be made in minutes, seconds and tenths (preferred) or minutes and hundreths. However, if minutes and hundreths are used, the final score must be transferred to hours, minutes and seconds for use in the overall results."

Translating from hundreths to seconds is presumably because the great unwashed can't understand decimal minutes.......

ymmv

press on,

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
World peace but that's OT.

I'm still going to call you about spec WRX.... I'm just scared of phones.

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If only you could find out what my phone number is! ;)

Spec WRX has many aftermarket ECUs that would totally work, I spoke with four vendors at PRI. However, running a ~$1400 ECU to get a stock tune kind of kills the point.

So the thought is take the open-source software, modify it into a closed-source sub-version that is identical except that it stores an encrypted password, and your done. As long as the proper password is in there, it's the proper tune.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
as competitor i prefer hundredths to seconds .

at Prescott i had a stage where i was 1 hundredth of a minute slower than a competitor. that just sounds cooler than 1 second slower.

Also for comparing your times on repeat stages its more accurate / cooler to have.

same for comparing uphill turned downhill stage.

+1 for precision.

now if you want to score in seconds with tenth places... i'm for that :p

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
+1 for precision.
Don't confuse precision with resolution.
The timing is only as precise as the device used to indicate the time at the end of the stage. Thumb on button has more randomness than a photocell, in general?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts