Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for the all the fans, workers, and organizers who froze their ashes off this weekend watching us play:

First of all, THANKS! We had a great time and couldn't have done it without you.

Second, how was the show? Did you miss Diggins and Pasi, scores of uniformed mechanics, and the dog and pony crap that goes with it? Or did Pat, Seamus, ACP, and the rest of us lunatics provide enough action for you? Would you attend another prorally knowing that this will be the competition level? What was your gut OPINION of the competition level (were we slower, faster, the same)?

Again, this is for the fans, workers, and organizers. If you're name was on the entry list, or you weren't there, SIT ON YOUR HANDS AND DON'T POST!

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
While the experienced person may have noticed the difference, I doubt the spectators or locals did. ACP was in Mitsu colors, and could easily have passed for a "factory" effort. There were plenty of blue Subies. Vermont Sportscar look just like they did two years ago, when they WERE the Subaru team. Add in high profile indies like Pat Richard & Seamus Burke and you have a pretty good looking field. The increased effort most teams have put into looking and acting professional in recent years made the entire show look good.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I thought the playing field was more even..You didnt see the $100,000 + cars in the same league at the $20,000 - $30,000 cars.. I think the folks that brought there high HP/Boost cars were surprised they didn't have an advantage over the lower powered cars.
The spectators seemed to be having a blast..you didn't see them leaving after the factory teams went by..since there were none..they hung out to the end to see the teenage girl go by in the ford fiesta.
As far as the Organizers..I think there were fewer headaches that go along with having manufacture's involved..

I think you can tell how much fun you had by the intensity of your hang-over the next day...what a flight home. (Those Irish sure can drink)

Thanks for a great party!

-greg

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
, they just want to see action and more is better.
Also the manufacturer teams would have been at all the events, guaranteeing some fast action at each event, which is not necessarily the case with the private entries

That said, it was fun to watch the cars bounce off the snow banks, it made for some spectacular visuals.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Oh behalf of the Widget Rally team...we enjoyed Sno-Drift. Beautiful country up there and the people were so nice. One restaurant stayed open for us after they were about ready to close up for the night.

Found out alot about snow and it being the first for the team! Leon did very well for not knowing how to run it in the white stuff. He was getting better at it after several stages. So finishing and getting points was a success for the team.

The WCC Iridium satellite phones worked great and we knew exactly what to do before they came in to service. We had constant contact with Leon and John on the stages. So thanks to wcclp.com! If anyone is interested regarding the phones just contact me and I will see what I can do for you.

So on behalf of the Widget..thank you Sno-Drift organizers, workers(who are the gem of the rally), and SCCA for a successful first event of the season rally. Congrats to the other competitors as well.

Denise McMahon
Team Manager
Widget Rally Team

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts
>I loved it, one of the best rallies I have attended.

Now finish up that article!! We did manage to get in a good bunch of stages! Would have been one of the best I've been to if it wasn't for the luggage fiasco.

I personally do miss the flash of the manufacturer cars.....and I'm sure all photographers do. Nice seeing a bunch of people in equal cars having a chance though.

Pete

·
Registered
106 Posts
I missed the factory teams, seeing that level of prefessionalism, and of course, the afformentioned flash...but without a doubt, minus the suck of getting there, sno*drift was definitely at the top of the list of my favorite rallys. Unbelievably fun event, had a blast, and the "lunatics" more than made up for the lack of the high dollar teams.

Attend another prorally? I'm hitting more this year than ever. nuff said.

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for responding guys, and thanks for being out there in the snow.

Anyone else? C'mon, there had to be more than 7 people there.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Old Fart
560 Posts
From my perspective working timing controls, I couldn't tell much difference. Most of the glitter from the manufacturer teams is centered around the rally HQ, spectator and service areas, which we never see. Of course there weren't the actual factory cars competing, but thats only five cars.

Hungry 5 stage looked very glittery with sponsor's banners strung above the road in several locations. I suppose the locals must have liberated them from previous years and put them up this year.

On the whole, I thought it was a pretty good show.

Paul Jaeger KC8YRY
PRIMO Stage Crews
For a Good Time, Call PRIMO!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Having attended Sno-Drift for the past 6 or 7 years in a number of different roles (spectator, worker, driver, nervous spouse(my wife was co-driving for someone else) and, this year as a media punk), I would have to say it was the best run events yet. Sno-Drift has the potential to fall way behind schedule, but I'm pretty sure the final stage started on time, a testement to both the workers and competitors. The action was good, with people driving hard even on the final stages. Service on the second day at the school was ideal.

On a personal note I learned a few things as a pseudo media punk;
Bleeding a caliper the day before the event may not be as easy as you think, James Bond prefers margaritas over martinis, Don't trust Germans named Jurgen, The area 20 miles north of alpena is quite pretty, an abandoned go-kart track can be hard to spot, mules are still in demand in some parts of the country, Lurch is a better musician than you might think(unless you are trying to sleep), Look over your shoulder prior to jumping into a snowbank when semi-drunken spectators yell "CAR", Camera batteries don't last very long in the cold, wear an official looking vest and people will assume you actually know something, there are no gas stations open past midnite between Hillman and Gaylord (I did'nt run out but it was close), Driving at 68mph at 1:30am between Hillman and Gaylord is not a good idea (I got a warning). To the people at Rally TV, I would like to thank them for including me in documenting the adventure we call Rally! I can't wait till next year. David J

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
DJ-

It was a pleasure having you on the team. Too bad we didnt remember a camera during the "ya, I tink dat snowbank dere is da Golf wit da brake parts. Here are da shovels." experience.

We may require your assistance at LSPR if you arent competing...

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
777 Posts
I plan on going to a couple more Pro Rallies this year. We workers still had lots of fun. I really enjoyed the fact there was a chance of any one of a dozen or so cars that had a realistic chance of winning outright. The local spectators we talked to didn't seem to care about the absence of the blue and red suits, either.

Curt

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I had a great time. I really only saw the cars in action at a few corners, but Pat put on a great show, as did several others. First time in a long time looking at a rally from a vantage point other than the windshield, but I think the show was very good.

I definitely consumed a bit more tequila than at a "normal" rally.

And I found out 2 of the best rally roads in Montmorency County aren't on the rally route. Mike, any way to get Tripp or Beaver Creek roads on the event? Gracious. What fun. And no houses.

Any requests?

Lurch (wastin' away agin in Margaritaville)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sno*Drift was awesome this year. It's only the second time I've been there, but the absence of factory sponsored teams didn't have a large effect on the rally. The top runners in my opinion are just as professional and perform just as well as factory teams, and to the untrained eye the top cars would appear to be factory sponsored anyway. How was spectating? I only made it out once on Saturday. Being a one man service crew was a bit more work than I previously thought.

-Josh

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
OK I'll bite: where are Tripp & Beaver Creek?

I thought I knew every possible rally road and trail, but I am always willing to go to school.

Sno*Drift has added at least one new road or section of road every year since 1997. We may run out eventually, but I still have some secrets.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Continue down Voyer Lake road East from the start of Hungry 5. A few miles of bobbing and weaving you come to a road on your right. Tripp Rd. If you come north off of the highway (32-33 just west of the T), I think its Hall road or something like that. Go a few miles up and start the stage at the beginning of Tripp. Have it turn right (north) on Voyer Lake road and run it up to the county highway (624). The first half of the stage (Tripp) would be very twisty with rolling hills. The second half (Voyer) would be fast and flowing.

Beaver Lake Rd. (not creek, sorry) is the nicest road I found up there and was a fluke as it was a back entrance to our lodge on Ess Lake. It isn't real long, but could be a final sprint before heading to Hillman for the party after Thunder River. Its hilly and twisty and oh, so good. Going North out of Hillman, take 459 West. Follow it as it curves north and just past the first lake, take a left on North Shore Dr. Follow this past a residential area and Beaver Lake will start on your left heading back south just before Long Lake. It will run generally south until it tees (right) into Zimmerman, just before ending at Co 624 that runs straight between Hillman and Atlanta. Just a few miles east of where Voyer Lake comes out to the highway. Upon further reminiscing, this one had one cabin on it. Its short, but a real roller coaster ride.

I should do film recce for every rally. I know the roads up at Sno-Drift for next year like the back of my...well...better than my elbow, anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts