Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on spectator areas that are re-used there needs to be some entertainment between the stages. i could dance and sing but my daughter doesnt even want that and she's two, so we need to come up with something a little better.

my idea is RC car racing. get a dozen gas powered 1/10th scale rally cars. CEN has some for around 300 ready to run. you can get them w/rally car bodies. they are fast and loud. and are alot of fun to watch. kids love them. then fill the 1-2 hrs w/several heats. let people there race them too. charge an appropriate fee/donation (this is assuming spectating is free) to race, to cover gas and wear and tear on the car. have the "fleet" at the service park and the expose too. this could be alot of fun. every now and then someone at service has one enad everybody gets a kick out of it especially kids. give out some trophies and stickers, kids love stickers.

·
Registered
379 Posts
our marshall point will have 6 people this year.

I think im gunna bring my 13" car tv, ps2, steering wheel+pedals and have some CMR3 action :D

Headwaters 03 some other marshalls at our point had a RC car and were having some fun with it:)

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
video games are cool. but they arent really all that crowd pleasing. six 1/10th scale rally cars at the delta at delaware mines LSPR would probably be alot of fun for about 30-60 min. which is all you really need.

at a marshall point i would vote for the new play station portable coming out this winter w/ GT4 portable. supposedly it has graphics close to the home unit.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that thing looks awesome. that is exactly what im talking about. the new WRX comercial is what triggered this idea. the one where the rc car doing donuts turns into the real one doing the same.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
>
>Great idea. And have a pre-rally showdown for the top
>drivers.
>
>Disclaimer: i may have raced these before. }>
>
>ACP
>Flirting with the laws of physics.

I heard you were a hack:p

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
ACP's Evo

ACP drives his rallycar by servo control. I've seen the little levers and steering wheel in his Evo. Look closely and you'll see the attennae.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
RE: ACP's Evo

Okay, this is totally off topic now, so I'll screw it up even more...

How many rallyists were RC racers in a former life?
My list is short:
Tamiya Frog
RC10GT
(currently) modded Tamiya Mini Cooper Monte Carlo 94

I think Brian Scott (Michigan BS) was an ace at RC racing at one time.

If you were going to make this work, AFTER cars have gone through (and you want to set up your track on the road), I would suggest gas and probably trucks to stay atop the soft churned up road.

·
Registered
95 Posts

This was probably fun between stages at '04 Monte Carlo:

http://www.rallyplanet.com/index.php?&pid=19254

Probably wouldn't work on gravel, though.

I was doing alright with the little Mini-Z racers (have Focus WRC and Subie WRC <- sponsored ride, heh heh) before deciding to spend all my money on real cars. Used to drive my brother's Tamiya RC Mouton/Ponz Audi when I was little kid before I knew what rally even was.

Rob
www.hrm-usa.com

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

>Okay, this is totally off topic now, so I'll screw it up
>even more...
>
>How many rallyists were RC racers in a former life?
>My list is short:
>Tamiya Frog
>RC10GT
>(currently) modded Tamiya Mini Cooper Monte Carlo 94
>
>I think Brian Scott (Michigan BS) was an ace at RC racing at
>one time.
>
>
>If you were going to make this work, AFTER cars have gone
>through (and you want to set up your track on the road), I
>would suggest gas and probably trucks to stay atop the soft
>churned up road.

not off topic at all. i want people excited about my ideas. that makes them more likely to happen.

i thought that in addition to disco petter solberg was also a RC car racer.

this could be unofficial too. we could just paly around and entertain ouselves and make people jealous of the fun we are having.

this would be a great opportunity for some more local involvment. get the hobby shop out there selling parts. invite locals to bring their cars. it could be alot of fun. i think it would need a seperate organizing crew aside from the rally folks. have a prepared "curriculem" for the hobby shop so they know what to expect and have it run locally maybe. you would need someone from the organizing comittee to act as a liason to get them started.

as far as road conditions i was thinking using more open ares not on the stage road or only using part of the stage road. there are some areas where you could do this that way. i like ACP's idea. have a little pre-rally showdown at the expose. fans could race against the stars! think of the joy a kid would have saying i beat pat richard in a rally car (sure its 1/10th as big but hey who cares!).

·
Registered
32 Posts

Current stable is:

HPI Subaru bodied Rally RS4 - electric
HPI Viper Comp Coupe RS4 RTR - gas
Mini-Z Porsche 911

Used to have:

Kyosho Optima
Tamiya Bruiser

Currently wanted and probably will get:

Gas powered Monster Truck (Associated or Traxxas)

I did race my electric car a few times. Actually converted the Rally car to a Touring car. I would get my butt handed to me by a bunch of 10 year olds everytime and my wife would just sit and laugh her ass off.

Kevin Wesley

·
Registered
168 Posts

I have the 1984 Tamiya Audi Quattro. I took it to a hobby shop in Detroit, and found out it is quite the collectable. My son now has the gas and electric cars.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

Heh. I was kind of a hack actually.

I was Canadian national champion 85-89, 4th in the US Championships 86 and 87, 18th at the Worlds in Vegas 1986 and 22nd at the Worlds in Holland in 1988*. I ran for Associated/Reedy/Novak from 1985 to 1990. Tony Neisinger, Kent Clausen, Mike Lavacot, and I were the usual crew.

Associated flew me to Japan, Holland, NZ and Australia to compete. In Japan I was Tamiya's guest of honour - they put up the Canadian flag, old Mr. Tamiya and young Mr. Tamiya greeted me, and - this is the coolest part - they took me to their "Secret" rooftop test track to try a new car. FIVE engineers were there, they put the car on the track and handed me the controller, and the pressure was pretty high as they were all clocking the laps. It went well, we broke the lap record, and the car became the Hotshot.

I helped develop the RC10 and the RC12L. Driving for Associated and Reedy was a bit like driving for Ferrari in the 1960s - you were never sure what you'd get for batteries and motors at an event but if you were doing well you'd get a call to go to Mike Reedy's room and he'd hand you a new motor with some new colour-coded dot on it, or a battery pack. I knew that I had made the big time when at one US nationals Reedy came to MY room with a pack and a motor with specific gearing instructions and the demand to return the batteries to him right after the Main.

Are any of those guys or cars still around? I'll tell you, RC sponsorship was way better than rally sponsorship! After I became fully sponsored I never paid for anything, and I remember that I went to Holland for the Worlds with over 200 sets of tires and went through 12 motors and at least that many packs there.

There were some real gentlemen in that sport. Gene Hustings of Associated essentially started the sport in the 70s, and Bob Novak was a prince. In my earlier days I was sponsored by BoLink out of Georgia, and Bob ? from there was eccentric but that was my big break. He was - I'm not kidding here - Yo-Yo world champion too I think.

You know, now that I think about it, there was a lot of mentoring there. We were all younger - I was flying to California to stay with Reedy before races when I was 15 - and teams really helped competitors to grow. 90% of what I know about rallying has some tie to something in RC racing.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

PS - Morgan, thanks dude. Everyone thinks I'm an alien already...

*I now realize that Holland 1988 was my first exposure to a rally car. I was negotiating with a guy from Phillips to get one of their prototype high frequency "credit card" speed controllers to take back to Novak to reverse engineer (or so I hoped). He took me out to a car that had a bigger wing than I had ever seen in my life. I thought it was way cool. It was, I realize, a brand-new Sierra Cosworth RS. We did the deal for the controller on the wing.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

were you ever in any of the RC magazines?

i used to read them all the time around then. my brother has RC-10 from about 5 years ago. that thing is a blast. and can take a beating. the only weak link was his soldering skills.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts