Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,

I'm watching some show on History/TLC/Disco/OLN or something about the America's cup, and their training.

Anywho, all of these boats have bigtime crews, training programs, and I am assuming multi-million dollar boats.

They were sponsored by the likes of BMW, Oracle, and so on.

Then I got to thinking.

Every offshore race, or any other boat I have seen on the tube has TONS of sponsors, Marlboro, bigtime $$. Those boats cost alot more than our cars, and I am sure the program costs more also.

My point is, so many people say $$ and rally dont mix because spectators in the woods dont work.

Well, how do spectators in the WATER work?

??

·
Right Side Ballast
775 Posts
Matt,

I haven't watched an unlimited hydro race in decades, but suspect it's still the same: they draw great crowds, whether in the U.S. or overseas. As for America's cup, the live audiences are decent and the television audiences, worldwide, are large. And both have a prestige factor that U.S. rally, at least, hasn't attained.

In both cases, however, sponsorship is generally only paying a small percentage of the costs to race. With rare exceptions -- Miss Budweiser MIGHT be one, for example -- these boats are underwritten by the competitors and/or big bucks hobbyist owners, not even close to fully paid for by sponsorship. (The Oracle America's Cup boat, for example, is owned by Larry Ellison, whether he opts to run the expenses through Oracle or not.)

Think rallying with the decimal moved a few places to the right.

Dick

·
Tightens!
81 Posts
The best way to attract sponsorship is to...

A. Own the company that writes the checks
B. Have sex with the person who owns that company
C. Be the child of the person who owns that company
D. Be a rich buddy of that person - money attracts money
E. Any of the above

Do NOT kid yourself about this game: These deals, more often than not, are nothing like arms-length transactions.

K

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Create a who's who of rally

Create a list of the 20 richest rallyists, their estimated net worth, etc., then court them.

Example:

Bill Gates zillions and zillions.
Warren Buffet only a few zillion
Sheik so and so 1 zillion
Donald Trump one millionth of a zillion
etc...

·
Registered
51 Posts
>My point is, so many people say $$ and rally dont mix because
>spectators in the woods dont work.

People may say this, but its simplifying things. WRC events and many foreign rallies attract large sponsors. Spectators, perhaps better described as "fans", are still in the woods at those events.

>Well, how do spectators in the WATER work?

I think the lack of sponsorship $$ has more to do with the fact that Rally is a minor sport in the US market, not that the spectators can't get to the forests to see the sponsor's livery and banners.

Why is rally a minor sport? Like many, I have opinions, but I don't have the answer. Perhaps spectator inconvenience COULD be ONE reason.

And keep in mind that the large companies mentioned sponsor BIG championship events and teams, not the typical sunday keelboat regatta.

-chris

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>So,
>
>I'm watching some show on History/TLC/Disco/OLN or something
>about the America's cup, and their training.
>
>Anywho, all of these boats have bigtime crews, training
>programs, and I am assuming multi-million dollar boats.
>
>They were sponsored by the likes of BMW, Oracle, and so on.
>
>Then I got to thinking.
>
>Every offshore race, or any other boat I have seen on the tube
>has TONS of sponsors, Marlboro, bigtime $$. Those boats cost
>alot more than our cars, and I am sure the program costs more
>also.
>
>My point is, so many people say $$ and rally dont mix because
>spectators in the woods dont work.
>
>
>??

Most of those boats are underwritten by rich hobbyists, who make our rich hobbyists look like paupers. The name of the game in offshore boats is big money, no questions asked. A friend of my Dad's used to be a top driver, paid to drive all over the world. He got out when the money got too dirty.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts

For the AC, they have their own boats (or friends with boats). Designated spectator areas where those boats can be. The spectator fleet gets pretty big.

AC is a prestige event, over a 100 years of tradition, that kind of thing. That is why its gets big corporate sponsors.

Sometimes it doesn't work out so well. My employer (Sun Microsystems) sponsored a boat a decade or so ago. The boat broke in half and sunk and there were lots of photos of the bow (prominently featuring the Sun logo) sticking out of the water (please, no jokes comparing that to the current situation at Sun!).

alan

·
Registered
924 Posts
there is a company that after a nascar race goes over every second of race footage recording how long every sponser logo can be seen and providing those numbers to the sponsers. exposure is all it's about.

·
5 right opens
859 Posts
There are companys that measure how much competitors are exposed as well. Companys that measure how many females watch. Companys that measure how many time words that can be racially misunderstood are used. Companys that measure how other programs did at the same time slot.

It's all about comparative return on investment.

If it is trully about exposure and nothing else, they we all should pack up our Rally Cars and go home because we will never have the impressions to make rally a good enough risk to spend valuable advertising dollars on.

I withdraw my suggestion in lieu of undeinable (and cirular) argument that it's all about exposure and that without it, we can't get it and if we can't get it, we can't grow it and if we can't grow it, we'll never get sponsors support and we can't get sponsor support because we don't have enough exposure.

And so it goes until someone doesn something radically different.

Best of luck to all of us.

Scott
--------

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>So,
>
>I'm watching some show on History/TLC/Disco/OLN or something
>about the America's cup, and their training.
>
>Anywho, all of these boats have bigtime crews, training
>programs, and I am assuming multi-million dollar boats.
>
>They were sponsored by the likes of BMW, Oracle, and so on.
>
>Then I got to thinking.
>
>Every offshore race, or any other boat I have seen on the tube
>has TONS of sponsors, Marlboro, bigtime $$. Those boats cost
>alot more than our cars, and I am sure the program costs more
>also.

Remember, the fact that you see it on the TV implies that it is big enough (and international enough - especially in the case of sailboats) to be at least one level above national rallysport. America's Cup is effectively at a higher level of visibility world-wide than the WRC.

Also, every shot of the boats has a nice, clean view of the sponsor logo.

Adrian

·
5 right opens
859 Posts
Regroup for a suprise attack. ;) LOL!!!

Seriously, I was nervous about posting what I did anyway, giving away to many secrets. Getting to close to some core elements to certain projects and announcements coming here in the next month or so.

Just keep your eye open for a couple magazine articles, an interview on Speed Talk Radio and more... That should explain it all.

Hey... I'm here to help NOT argue :)

Scott
---------

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I wasn't picking an argument. I did read your website entirely to see what your philosophy is. I will reserve comment for private discussion, but I just don't have time to discuss right now.

Good luck with your endeavor.

·
5 right opens
859 Posts
I didn't mean to imply you were picking an argument... I meant that I didn't want appear argumentative to you or anyone.

What I am proposing is a completely different way of looking at sponsorships while not alienating those that wish to continue in the traditional format.

Of course there are certainlly levels of application, scales of economy for certain, and the very last thing I want to do is push away any potential customer by disagreeing with their advertising methodology. So we will continue to offer a version of the "traditional" form of advertising modified to reduce risk and provide an exponentially higher opportunity for return on Investment.

If the proper support is there, exposure will come. Think about virtually ANY super star you can imagine and the exposure came due to proper support. Rare excpetions aside, you cannot make a success of something simply by exposing it. Otherwise, we'd still have the All Spoon Network.

Best,

Scott
-------

·
Registered
724 Posts
People that race boats have a lot of money and people with a lot of money usually hang out with other people that have a lot of money. Usually people support their friends and that is how they get the big dollars. Now from being on the inside of a few sponsorship deals I now have a better understanding of how everything works and it really has very little to do with exposure, impressions, or spectators but rather other deals that are more business (beyond whatever perceived value the racing is) and less about true sponsorship (I should have prefaced this with in the case of most manufacturers not privateers but I will show the correlation later) . For most 30 million dollar sponsorship deals there is a 45 million dollar deal for BMW, Toyota, Ford .......... to put all of Brand X air filters or Brand Y oil in every new car they sell. Really no money actually changes hands. Now how does this affect the privateers, well plain and simple the companies that most people are chasing the type that can fund an entire season see no real back end value in their investment. I mean it is a wonder that Mitsu and Subaru ever sponsored anything in the states because if you want to run a 4wd turbo car they are basically your choices unless you want to run an older audi. So therein lies the problem there is not enough value for small or large sponsors. My advice would be we shoudl grow our own talent with racing clubs that band together to further the career of quick guys that just don't have enough means. Alas that will never happen because whenever anyone gets really good in this country it seems like everyone would rather tear them down.

·
5 right opens
859 Posts
>People that race boats have a lot of money and people with a
>lot of money usually hang out with other people that have a
>lot of money. Usually people support their friends and that is
>how they get the big dollars. Now from being on the inside of
>a few sponsorship deals I now have a better understanding of
>how everything works and it really has very little to do with
>exposure, impressions, or spectators but rather other deals
>that are more business (beyond whatever perceived value the
>racing is) and less about true sponsorship