Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See, I got to thinking, this is a really big country, and it costs a lot of money to drive across it several times each year. So my question is: Why do you do it?

My impression is that the guys who CAN afford it, do it for the prestige. I might be wrong, please correct me if there are other reasons. But, based on my hypothesis about prestige, I'll continue.

If, for the sake of building the sport and reducing operating costs, could we replace the national championship with several regional championships and maintain that same level of prestige?

Our rally community is relatively small and spread out, and so we have very limited resources to work from. Are we better served concentrating on the "top-level" of the sport in this country, or is it time to look at the "foundation" of the sport at the local level?

·
Registered
183 Posts
to add to this, how about a ROC event ( Rally OF Champions) at the end of the year with all the class winners from each area battling it out to find that years class champion. Downside is, it's just 1 event to find the champ. Plusside, it would be a little easier to sell to sponsors/ tv.
stuart

·
Registered
946 Posts
>to add to this, how about a ROC event ( Rally OF Champions)
>at the end of the year with all the class winners from each
>area battling it out to find that years class champion.
>Downside is, it's just 1 event to find the champ. Plusside,
>it would be a little easier to sell to sponsors/ tv.
>stuart

I think there should be 3 levels. Not a new idea. One I've thrown out a few times.

Lowest tier: Local Divisional rally. No run offs at end of year. Championship structure the same as Clubrally is now.

Middle tier: Divide the country in 1/2, We already have WSRC and Eastern states championships. Only difference is, have the top 4 teams in each class meet at a winner take all event at the end of the year/beginning of next year. You'd still be Western/Eastern champ, but winner could be Super Regional Champion, and heck, the 4th place team could even win the dang thing. The top events for this would be the events that weren't included in the National Championship for that particular year. Perhaps a Television show for this event.

Highest tier: National Championship. But have it be 6 events (on a rotating basis, more than 6 want the circus every year), all 6 count towards the championship. Have this be 3-4 classes max so competition worth talking about in every class and the Press person doesn't have to spin a class to make it interesting. Plus 6 events should be easier to get Television package.

I think its time for this. We'd have competition at every level, and a stepping stone for those that wanted it.

And... to keep the real pro's from poaching... You can only be scored in one tier at a particular event. If you DNF first day, you can still run, but you'll be 10 minutes after the last Divisional car.

Put the 5 minute gaps back in. Highest tier runs together, then 5 minute gap, middle tier, then another 5 minute gap, Divisional tier. If there are Pro's or Regional running next day, have them 10 minutes after last Divisional car. I'm going to guess most Pro's faced with the torn up roads would just pack their bags and go home early after a DNF. But they could run if they wanted to.

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts
>I'm still wondering though, why do you run the national
>series? I guess I just want to hear it in your words.

I don't compete, but I'd imagine the reasons are:
1. Top level competition
2. Seat time
3. Each event is totally diff't from the others (variety)
4. Cuz it's there

Pete

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
Pete don't forget bigger events/series can mean bigger sponsorship $$$. Most local sponsorships just aren't going to send you to more then 2 or 3 rallys if that (and those would have to be somewhat local too), get a big title sponsor because you're going all over the county and you might get the help to make 4, 5, or 6 events. A bigger series means more prestige to sell sponsors and some ease in getting media coverage to atleast some events.

I doubt a lot of the media coverage we get now (what little there is) wouldn't go cover divisional rallys, I doubt the editors would want to cover anything thats not national unless they had regional publishing and distribution. The key to selling any form of performance rally is either local exposure or national championship exposure. And the key to marketing it to spectators, TV (and if rally in the US ever takes off it will only be through better funded TV efforts because the heavy majority of ameriacns will not go out to the woods and watch a corner or two until they have been watching it on TV so much that they just HAVE to do it), bigger sponsors, and manufacturers (for manufacturer teams, contigency, parts support, you name it) has been a national series.

The national series is so much more then some championships or events, individually on any given feature a national championship in the US at this point doesn't make sense but as a complete package it represents far more value as a whole then any other one thing costs withstanding.

But if you really want to save and build rally in the US work with CARS and NASA and build a legitimate North American championship. Work it out so it uses specific RA, CARS, and NASA events, work out the rule books to include all classes under one agreed upon class structure. Work it out so that an american company can use the candian TV footage and secure sufficent funds (go pick on subaru for money, rally in canada has tons of value and rally in the US still has value to them too) for a quality broad cast of each event ($100,000.00 per event atleast). In the US break it down in to 4 basic divisions based on rally counts (Pro and Club level) and in the national series in the US make it 6 or 7 out of 9 and require points be scored at atleast one event in each division. From the divisions work the break down for an east and west or north and south and work out an interdivision championship (as has been metioned pick some middle of the country rally if you like and have a shoot out based on the top qualifiers from the interdivision championship) and of course build and maintain divisional championships.

The idea is to create a step ladder for skill, exposure, prestige, and funding. Reach that North American level and you should be at the very least not loosing any money and hopefully making some money (this includes any lost income from attending events and comprehensive event costs including car prep, towing, food, you pay it to be there it should be paid for). Of course at this level you'd have to have something like seed or SF to determine those that can from those that cannot but thats the idea people.

Back to the original point, you loose the National Series or seriously defang it and what do you think magazines like Sport Compact Car will do, a couple die hard rally fan editors can only swing us so much support. You loose a national series and you probably lose what little major magazine coverage we get, and its a hole heck of a lot eaiser to lose that than get it back....

·
5 right opens
859 Posts
I'm so glad someone answered this... Perfectly!!!

Sponsors.

Both individually for the team AND for Rally as a whole.

We can't make it without them. We just can't.

One of our biggest, Subaru, is about nat's whisker from walking away by now and that's REALLY going to hurt if that happens.

As he mentioned, it is alot easier to loose a Title Sponsor or any National Sponsor than it is to GET them. They are our greatest assets and need to be protected at all costs.

We have the daunting tack of trying to attract MORE to our series, if we are to survive.

Individual teams, running the National Series, is a GREAT way to get that exposure.

I especially like the view with a CARS and NASA combined series. Hmmm....

Scott "DKOV" Kovalik
======================

·
Registered
374 Posts
As a kid did you ever want to be "Local Hero Man"? Or did you want to be "Superman"?

There almost has to be a "National" in any form of sport for anyone to take it seriously.

Do you think if the "Cheerleaders" didn't have a national competition that ESPN would even give a rats behind about it?

That's just how I see it.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts