Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I am curious how the "new" stage notes worked at Orgeon Trails.

Good? Bad?

Would someone be willing to scan and share a couple of pages along with the glossary?

I am quite interested in getting a look at them before Rim.

Thanks alot,
Eric Adams

·
Road books are for transits.
926 Posts
The notes were consistent through all the stages and the system used it's easy to comprehend and to read. This is one the best things that I've seen happening to Performance Rally in the past three years I've competed in the US.
The team that is doing the notes includes 3 world class co-drivers and a very knowledgeble driver.
Perhaps a bigger font will be usefull on "bumpy" events, but the general format is in, my opinion, very good.
Alex Gelsomino
http://64.65.11.83/gallery/Rally/Mille_Miglia_2002/Cantamessa_Ciceri_05.jpg

·
Registered
868 Posts
My brother (Rick) and I used the descriptive type. He stayed really busy reading continuously during each stage, but he adapted very quickly and he did a great job with them. I was surprised how easy it was to get comfortable with words like "Kay" and "bad" to describe a corner! We don't mind blind rallies, but the notes worked-out fine and it certainly is better than having to blow a couple of days making pace notes.
DH

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is only my second season, but I think that notes were a long time coming. I posted another opinion a few weeks ago for different reasons, but I have honestly wanted to run notes from the beginning.

They were RAD!

Kathryn and I got a 'feel' for them by the end of the first stage, lost our rhythm on others, and were seemless on others. When we lost our place on stage, we had to work together to catch up, and believe it or not, it added to the fun. When the notes worked.......it was BEAUTIFUL.

Dave is correct in saying that you catch on quickly. I saw a lot of teams that were very apprehensive about using the notes for the first time, and others who had used 'pace/safety notes' before were disappointed. On stage it was a breeze, and soon became second nature to most teams.

I can't wait to use them again.

I hope to see them in Club events in the near future, as it will be hard to go back to using those primitive tulips.

Roger Jackman
Car #286

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ray got lost in the notes almost immediately, and they got tossed over his shoulder, replaced with the routebook. The coursenotes did not mention a lot of things that were in the routebook. Things like 'POTHOLES, EXPOSURE, rough ect' warnings, and other such things. I'm sure that with practice, it would have worked out fine, but Ray was not wanting to get it wrong. I'm sure that I could have gone even faster with course notes right up to the point when I broke the car. Then I would likely have wadded up the car rather then just needing a fender and fixin' the suspension. Thats me. Break, Crash or win. Seemingly in that order of likelyhood. :) JohnLane.

·
Straight At "T"
297 Posts
I thought they worked out extremely well. We went descriptive, just because that's what we started with at Cherokee, and had no trouble adapting after the first couple of stages. We got lost in the notes a couple of times, but managed to get back on track fairly quickly. Overall the notes were better than what we created for Cherokee (our first attempt ever at recce), and they allowed us to push much harder than the route book would have. Once you get used to them, it's a blast! And as was mentioned, you don't have to spend all day creating them yourself.

-Doug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.