Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
There still doesn't seem to be as much posted as for previous events this year. Maybe they're having multiple issues. Of course alot of this is dependant on the teams getting info to the RA truck.

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>Of course alot of this is dependant on the teams getting info to
>the RA truck.

There's a lot to be said for that opinion. Plus, from a purely reporting standpoint the only story there is the Patrick/Stiq fight. Pastrana is three minutes behind that battle - Iorio has more than four minutes on second in Open - Johnson has a two minute lead in PGT - Sans has nearly five minutes on second in Production - and in the open 2WD classes there is but one car left running. Regional teams would be wise to take info about their battles to the R-A truck because I bet they'd get published!

Halley ...
BBBBB (Bring Back Big Bend Bash)
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
a close battle in the sat club event was between cox, himes, wray, and payeur for 8-11th place. they all were trading times back and forth. untill payeur got some road points. what is cool about this battle is that it is between 3 very different types of vehicles. a truck, two subarus, and rx-7.

at the end of the day cox, himes, and wray were seperated by 1 minute and 16 seconds.

if jake hadnt had to make the extra repairs and was on time to service he would have nabbed 7th from mccarthy. needless to say jake was the top finishing 2wd car.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
It was pretty cool to peruse the archive photos of events past. There was a pretty badass pic of an S-10 throwing some HUGE roosters. It was a white truck. I couldn't help but think of how cool they would look behind a red truck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Jake, Is that what you drove? I could not find that on the RA site. I think it was TBD.

What happened to the details of who had issues during the rally.

What happened to Burnside and Burnside (they live in the same town I live in). Local heros

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
>Jake, Is that what you drove? I could not find that on the
>RA site. I think it was TBD.
>
>What happened to the details of who had issues during the
>rally.
>
>What happened to Burnside and Burnside (they live in the same
>town I live in). Local heros
>
jake ran in the yellow rx-7 this weekend.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for the update. I found the link through the :sigh in secion: of the web site. It also mention what happened to Burnside car.

Great job RA. I am not very good at surfing the web. I was doing this while whatching rally of Germany.

·
Registered
335 Posts
>It was pretty cool to peruse the archive photos of events
>past. There was a pretty badass pic of an S-10 throwing some
>HUGE roosters. It was a white truck. I couldn't help but
>think of how cool they would look behind a red truck.

That was probably the picture of Bill Holmes. You youngsters missed a treat. He was always sideways, spraying gravel everywhere.

The first time I saw him was when he was first on the road at Ojibwe. He was coming down Steamboat, through the big esses just before connecting with Spur 2. He was so far sideways I thought he was a dead man. He swung back just as far the other way, sprayed us all with gravel, and disappeared sideways over the next crest.

At our start control, I was up at the line to help the starter for his first couple cars. Bill was on the line and Doug Shepard was still half way back to the ATC. I wondered why he didn't pull up near the start. As the starter was counting down "3-2-1" I finally figured it out. I grabbed him by the jacket as he yelled "go!" and pulled him aside. We bent over and cowered in the ditch as Bill showered us with pieces of road. It hurt.

Doug then moved up to the start line, lights intact.

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
2,835 Posts
Mad Mike said:
>from a purely reporting standpoint the only story there is the
>Patrick/Stiq fight.

*sigh* If the only story is "who's going to win"...

>Regional teams would be
>wise to take info about their battles to the R-A truck because
>I bet they'd get published!

Running Maine Forest a couple years ago, I brought full page writeups, on pages pre-printed with my class, number, hometown, contact info, and so on, to the R-A truck at every service.

It was condensed to one mention of "Green/Feistel says the stages are good."

So, I'll take your bet.

:(
Anders

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
>a close battle in the sat club event was between cox, himes,
>wray, and payeur for 8-11th place. they all were trading
>times back and forth. untill payeur got some road points.
>what is cool about this battle is that it is between 3 very
>different types of vehicles. a truck, two subarus, and rx-7.
>
>at the end of the day cox, himes, and wray were seperated by 1
>minute and 16 seconds.
>
>if jake hadnt had to make the extra repairs and was on time to
>service he would have nabbed 7th from mccarthy. needless to
>say jake was the top finishing 2wd car.

Look at the 2WD stage times for the first day. Toss Hanka's times in with them, as they are rightfully a G2 car, but went PGT for the points.

Very close times all night. Koll seems to be darn fast and unencumbered by whatever wussyness makes me slow. The new and improved Dave Sterling caught us on one of the first longer stages, providing a good reminder to stop slowing down so darn much. After that, we were able to step things up and get back a lot of time, but not enough to get ahead of Dave and Brian.

On day 2, things were quite as close in 2WD. Speaking for myself, I was tired, very sunburnt, had a minor off, a blown rim/tire, some blown turns, and basically didn't have it together at all.

Watch G2/Gf at LSPR!

·
which left?
1,621 Posts
>Koll seems to be darn fast and
>unencumbered by whatever wussyness makes me slow.

If Paul drives his stage car anything like he does RallyCross, then he's probably one of the smoothest drivers out there. I haven't had a chance to watch him on stage yet, but I'm betting he's running a very clean line and maintaining momentum.

--
Mark Holden
KC0SUW

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
Sometimes lots of good information is too much information.

If you can't say it in 100 words.....

Remember someone from RA has to type whatever you give them while doing scores and all the other stuff they have to do.

Think 4 sentences or so...

Its pure time management, RA volunteers ahve to prioritize and when they have to read and condense something for a regional team as well as do their RA duties and cover the big name teams and the battles something will get put at the bottom of the list and its easier to see why what gets put to the side gets put to the side.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
since they now have wireless access at the service parks, maybe they could set it up so that the teams could enter thier own updates onto the site.

there could be two areas. one for the RA press releases and one for "unofficial" team updates, anecdotes, and "hi mom" type comments. this second part could easily be integrated as a new forum on the existing message board.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I would guess the real issue is more like

(from inside the RA Sat truck)

"Damn, we got this really cool new website, but how the heck do we upload things to it and still have it work right...
Where is that webmaster due? Oh he is out taking photos, okay, well, then lets make one or two quick update and hopefully we can get a few things out there, but in the future we need to know how to do this too.... Still not bad for having an absolutely brand new website up for only 48 hours!"

Jeff Burmeister
SpecialStage.com
The North American Rally Resource
[a href="http://www.specialstage.com/blogs/index.php?blog=5" target="new"]My Rally Blog[/a]

[a href="mailto:[email protected]"]Click Here [/a] to request information on advertising

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
>I would guess the real issue is more like
>
>(from inside the RA Sat truck)
>
>"Damn, we got this really cool new website, but how the heck
>do we upload things to it and still have it work right...
>Where is that webmaster due? Oh he is out taking photos, okay,
>well, then lets make one or two quick update and hopefully we
>can get a few things out there, but in the future we need to
>know how to do this too.... Still not bad for having an
>absolutely brand new website up for only 48 hours!"
>
>

BINGO!!!

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>
>*sigh* If the only story is "who's going to win"...

In the National the only contest that was close at the time of my posting was the one between Stig and Patrick. As a freelance writer/reporter I know you need to publish stuff that someone's going to read.

>Running Maine Forest a couple years ago, I brought full page
>writeups, on pages pre-printed with my class, number,
>hometown, contact info, and so on, to the R-A truck at every
>service.
>
>It was condensed to one mention of "Green/Feistel says the
>stages are good."
>
>So, I'll take your bet.
>
:mad:
>Anders

A couple years ago? You have any idea how thoroughly just about everything at R-A, and especially inside the R-A truck, has changed since then? Let's talk 2005 here ... more times than not these days the ladies in the R-A truck are lamenting the dearth of submissions.

As has been mentioned elsewhere in response to your post, one should present the editors of a near-real-time medium a fairly concise, well written and interesting piece. I was in awe of Kala's StudBug submissions at SNO*DRIFT because they were fun, informative, brief and required little if any editing by either me (she was knid enough to bounce them off me before delivering them to the truck) or R-A. I might add that 100% of her works were published, almost verbatim.

So how much do you want to lose?

Halley ...
BBBBB (Bring Back Big Bend Bash)
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Big Jump 800
716 Posts
There will be some teething pains with the new web site.

FYI, the updates on the home page are geared toward the more casual fan and the updates on the found thru the "login" button are geared toward insiders.

Rally suffers from 30 years of marketing failure. One of the root causes is that people have tried to make everything work for everyone. In the future you'll find that Rally America focues each of its efforts on a particular audiance. This means that the hard core fans won't like the lack of detail on the updates which are intended for the casual fans.

The suggestion of having updates come from all is interesting, but it seems more likely that people use that live access to update the forums with their personal insights instead.

J.B. Niday
www.nidayrallysport.com

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
>The suggestion of having updates come from all is interesting,
>but it seems more likely that people use that live access to
>update the forums with their personal insights instead.
>
>J.B. Niday
>www.nidayrallysport.com

what i was taking about was adding another forum conference area to the forum site.

call it "Hi Mom!" that could be used for teams to post live updates. have it set up so onlly registered competitors and their crews can post to keep the noise down.

then we can have our cake and eat it too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts