Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here goes , for Navies and Drivers you can have a school at every event as many road race clubs do. Driver and Navies would get a ground school, the ones at road races are 40-60 miute range and are geared toward the basics with an emphisis on safety.
On the actual stages the School cars would go out last , let them know they will not be scored. The cars would display a special decal letting the stage crews know they are "students" if they have a problem with ATC , STC etc. the crews can take the 30 seconds needed to help the crew out. At service the students can have a short debrief (If you go to a Road Race school with an unreliable car you won't get through the day) As students the just need to gas up the car , they do not have to change tires and they are not going to get signed off if they have already broken the car.
This will allow newbies a chance to get some experiance , as the emphasis will be on finishing and getting signed off for a novice permit so there will be no reason to drive wildly.
The newbies would end the day with their car in one piece and a understanding of how an event works. This situation would also allow us to train stage crews as they could use the student cars as practice. I wouldn't expect more than about 5 students at an event.

Thoughts??? , Tom

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know if it's been done in the past, but I'd do the schools the day before the event, and have it be on the road. Similar to what you are talking about, just make it a short practice stage. I was in Bruce's seminar at LSPR and I think the group in there had a good amount of rally experience for guys that have never run one. But it's done only a few hours before the rally starts, and a lot of guys have other things on their minds. It means another nights hotel cost, etc. but hey racing isn't free. Make the new entries pay a little more for the school.

At LSPR we probably had 25 people in the novice seminar, Bruce ran out of license applications.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts