Special Stage Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Old Fart
560 Posts
I remember the 1972 Moonlight Monte. Our car broke down and some locals flat towed it out to the highway about one in the mourning. We had a service crew, but no way to contact them. As we sat along the highway, we decided we needed a fire to keep warm. My codriver found a couple of rails from someone's split rail fence which made good firewood. We took out the back seat (back seats were still required to be in cars then) and sat on the seat by the fire until mourning. About dawn our service crew found us and we fixed the car.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
1976 Marquette 1000, Parps and I rolled the 510. We were way off the road and about needed about 5 feet more aircraft cable to reach the tree to be able to winch out.

Somewhere along the line a local comes and gives us a couple of beers. Then it starts to get cold. David says - "I wasn't a Boy Scout and neither of us smoke, how are we going to light a fire?" Jimmy - " We have 150 minutes of flares in the back. If we can't start a fire with those, we have a much bigger problem."

http://www.rallyracingnews.com/narra/m100076.html

46 starters, 8 finishers.

We weren't out there all night, but it was a lot of hours.

Some people carried brandy (for medicinal purposes)......

press on,

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Marshals get stranded some times too. The 1976 NARA Chisum Trail Rally out of Denton, Texas was my first event to marshal. It was a bit chaotic and hurting for workers so my first wife and I were split up to cover two intersections. I ended up atop a ridge at a T intersection armed with nothing but a road use letter from the Sheriff and a flashlight while Wanda ended up with a shotgun aimed at her in our Land Cruiser. The stage was stopped, I was later reunited with the rest of the family and we trekked on only to run out of gas trying to find our way back to HQ. Someone (I still think it was Richard Miller) rescued us after several hours of feeling like we were well and truly lost.

So far as topical segues is concerned, Hourihan and Shepherd came third at that event driving a Porsche!

From rallyracingnews.com:

FIN. CAR
POS. NUM. DRIVER/CO-DRIVER HOMETOWN MARQUE SCORE

1 10 Tom Tolles Alexandria, VA Volvo 142 9709
Ginny Reese Ann Arbor, MI

2 2 Gene Henderson Pinckney, MI Jeep CJ-7 9767
Ken Pogue Berkeley, MI

3 1 Robert Hourihan Northville, MI Porsche 911 RSR 9968
Doug Shepherd Ann Arbor, MI

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Want to say thanks to all that responded with stories and info. Some I knew, some I did not and some I forgot. All good. To answer some of the questions, yes this is the car Bob took to Europe and no it does not have the FYJIMO plates or sticker. But it will when I am done.
The restoration is moving along. Have the shell pretty well stripped down, just a few suspension pieces left. Hope to start on the body work after the first of the year. That looks like it is going to be the biggest challenge. Car has been rolled at least once (I actually have a picture we took at Sunriser 74 after Bob rolled it) and the roof is not quite square with the rest of the car. We also have found a few odd quirks with some of the body panels, but should be able sort it all out.
Wish we would have had it for the Ohio Forest Rally (Sunriser) last weekend, but still shooting for POR next year.

Art Kaser

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Um, we used to call that colo(u)r - babysh*t brown..............

ymmv

Not sure if it was good fortune or bad, but I somehow managae to acquire Bob Hourihan's old butterscotch 510 from John Townsend.
press on,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Garry Henderson switched the hood and rear deck to fiberglass panels. Converted the Marchal light setup to Cibie. Installed new fuel cell. We kept the big mud flaps in the front that Bob had on it. The roof never really got squared up perfect. I would have to dig but I took some photo's of Garry and Terry Palmer test running it in circa 1975 trim.

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
Art, I'm pretty sure that I already sent you this link, but just so others can enjoy it also, here are a couple of pictures from the 1973 1000 Lakes in Finland:

http://www.f1-forum.fi/vb/showthread.php?p=1028685

Post 104 shows Scott Harvey's Colt; and
Post 105 shows Bob Hourihan's Datsun.

Other searches also showed that Bob and Doug Woods retired with a broken rear suspension.
My Finnish is a little rusty - otherwise I would consider signing on to the site.

Does anyone have a capture of the Colt picture? If so, could it be posted here? Or - sent to me: scott at teamharco dot com

Gary - it was good to see you again. Thanks for coming up to run Son of Sno*. Hope you had a good time.

·
Shifting and drifting
513 Posts
Holy shit, there are other humans on this forum. I have a buttload of old photos. Gonna scan them this Corona fest with a Corona in hand.

However, I am not of the fecal book or twat her, or whatever ticky tocky thing everyone is using these days, and sending their information to China.

What may be a good way to both LOOK AT old US rally photos, and PRESENT old rally photos?

I am considering just setting up a site where people can look, steal, give the finger to, but don't have the option to comment stupid shit.

Ideas?

·
L1 !!! HPR into HPL
950 Posts
Holy shit, there are other humans on this forum. I have a buttload of old photos. Gonna scan them this Corona fest with a Corona in hand.

However, I am not of the fecal book or twat her, or whatever ticky tocky thing everyone is using these days, and sending their information to China.

What may be a good way to both LOOK AT old US rally photos, and PRESENT old rally photos?

I am considering just setting up a site where people can look, steal, give the finger to, but don't have the option to comment stupid shit.

Ideas?
Hey Steve,

Yes some old timers on here periodically but, way too many scammers left on here. Most of us are at North American Rally on Facebook. Suggest you send the scans to Randy Graves, Scott Harvey's old co-driver. He has a wonderful sight with lots of historic stories, results, pictures, etc. [email protected] https://www.flickr.com/photos/rwgraves/collections/72157640780076274/

Dave Weiman
rallydave

·
Shifting and drifting
513 Posts
Hi Dave, yes I believe I have seen his site,,,,good idea to get it into the good hands of a rally historian and pass this stuff on to whoever cares anymore.

The stupid F-book site requires to be a member to just view the stuff there. Pretty stinking useless. Sadly, there isn't much for those not inclined to be on there.

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
35 Posts
In 1973, Bob and I did the Scottish Rally, Circuit of Donegal, Nutcracker Rally (in Wales) and the 1000 Lakes Rally in his 510. It had an 1800cc engine and a 240Z transmission and differential.

BTW, my total cost to do these four rallies (European, British, Motoring News and WRC status events) was just under $3,000 Canadian. However, it was my life savings, at the time.

I did my last rally with Bob on the 1977 POR.
And a memorable rally it was!
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Tree

·
Registered
35 Posts
My Finnish is a little rusty - otherwise I would consider signing on to the site.

Does anyone have a capture of the Colt picture? If so, could it be posted here? Or - sent to me: scott at teamharco dot com

Gary - it was good to see you again. Thanks for coming up to run Son of Sno*. Hope you had a good time.
Scott - Did you ever get that photo of the Colt at the 1973 1000 Lakes??? Thanks, Randy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Dave, yes I believe I have seen his site,,,,good idea to get it into the good hands of a rally historian and pass this stuff on to whoever cares anymore.

The stupid F-book site requires to be a member to just view the stuff there. Pretty stinking useless. Sadly, there isn't much for those not inclined to be on there.

Happy New Year!
Hi, Steve-
I'm always thrilled to post new old-rally photos in my Rally Collection on Flickr: Special Stage Rallies.... from Waay Back to the Present
Stay well, Randy

21 - 34 of 34 Posts