Shoot, I went on down to the store to by a
copy of Hot Rod Magzine so'ens I could get
my fix of 'mercan muscle cars, and low and
behold, they've got an article bout them
frn cars racin' in the mud . . .

Actually a pretty good article talking a little
about RIM and a lot about the basics of ProRally
and ClubRally rules !!!

Also a few good pics of some CRS 'locals' !

:+

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>
>Shoot, I went on down to the store to by a
>copy of Hot Rod Magzine so'ens I could get
>my fix of 'mercan muscle cars, and low and
>behold, they've got an article bout them
>frn cars racin' in the mud . . .
>
>Actually a pretty good article talking a little
>about RIM and a lot about the basics of ProRally
>and ClubRally rules !!!
>
>Also a few good pics of some CRS 'locals' !
>
>:+

A coworker showed me his copy this morning. Talk about freaky. Hell, I'm still getting used to the concept of "spectator problems" being framed in the context of there being too many of them and now the big-block/straight/level/sealed-surface/quarter-mile minions are being turned on to rally in Hot Rod Magazine! The syzygy is here, folks. Boggle away!

Halley ...
Owner/Driver ProRally #86 - world's first New Beetle Rally Car
RealAutoSport, LLC
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
118 Posts
>A coworker showed me his copy this morning. Talk about
>freaky. Hell, I'm still getting used to the concept of
>"spectator problems" being framed in the context of there
>being too many of them and now the
>big-block/straight/level/sealed-surface/quarter-mile minions
>are being turned on to rally in Hot Rod Magazine! The
>syzygy is here, folks. Boggle away!
>

Now that I know Mad Mike is older than me...

Hot Rod magazine was actually the first "major" automotive magazine in the United States to do a story about about performance rallying in this country.

Rich Merritt wrote it back about 1973 or so just as the Pro Rally series was a-borning and long before them sporty car mags found out...

('Sides, what kind of sporty car mag would attempt to campaign a Chevy Vega of all things in Pro Rally... dumb, dumb, dumb.)

Rich got paid $100 for his piece, which was a lot of money back in them days. If I remember right, he had to walk though 8 feet of snow 25 miles uphill both ways to cash the check.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I heard a presentation by the publisher of Hot Rod, Ira Gabriel, back in April at the SEMA IAS show. He said that Hot Rod was going to start featuring more sport compact car stuff starting this summer because the V8 muscle cars and the people that drive them are slowly dieing off. Good to see they are including rallying in the mix.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
more sport compact car
>stuff starting this summer because the V8 muscle cars and
>the people that drive them are slowly dieing off. Good to
>see they are including rallying in the mix.

Everyone knows that you can't rally a V-8 muscle car.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Maybe.

But, we have some "slow learners" out here.

press on (ridden in the Hairy Canary, but never Mike's, also 400cid Jeep)

>
>Everyone knows that you can't rally a V-8 muscle car.

·
Straight @ "T"
188 Posts
Sometime back around then Road & Track had a cover shot of a BMW at speed at the POR Rally. It might have been after 1973 though, I'll have to check the stacks. Speaking of odd places for rally stories I remember "Offroad" magazine used to cover the events back around the late 70's - early 80'. I've got one with our car in it at POR (Audi Fox), everything else was Jeeps.
JimB

·
Registered
124 Posts
>
>Everyone knows that you can't rally a V-8 muscle car.

Doesn't having your tongue stuck that far into your cheek hurt?

:*

Matthew

·
Registered
118 Posts
>Sometime back around then Road & Track had a cover shot of a
>BMW at speed at the POR Rally. It might have been after
>1973 though, I'll have to check the stacks. Speaking of odd
>places for rally stories I remember "Offroad" magazine used
>to cover the events back around the late 70's - early 80'.
>I've got one with our car in it at POR (Audi Fox),
>everything else was Jeeps.
>JimB

Cam Warren used to write the annual wrap up of the Pro season for R&T. It generally appeared in their May issue.

I used to do rally articles for Off Road, so there's a chance that the article was mine. (If it was mine, let me know and I'll see if I still have the pics of your car if you want.) If not, it was probably by Jean Calvin who also covered the rally scene along with a lot off road events.

The off road mags were a great place to sell rally pieces. During the time I was freelancing, I sold far more rally stuff to off-road mags than I ever did to car mags. They also paid better -- and they paid promptly which was nice.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
>I used to do rally articles for Off Road, so there's a
>chance that the article was mine. (If it was mine, let me
>know and I'll see if I still have the pics of your car if
>you want.) If not, it was probably by Jean Calvin who also
>covered the rally scene along with a lot off road events.

Actually Dusty Times, the premier off road magazine, is still covering rally events as best as possible. I just had my piece with photos on STPR put out in the August 2003 issue (pp.52-3). John Calvin wants to keep the legacy going that his late wife loved. I try to cover the East Coast/CenDiv stuff as best as I can and Jim Culp does the NW stuff. There are usually several contributers for the California and Arizona rallies. BTW, not sure if anyone is doing an article on Maine. I couldn't go. Call John at 1-818-882-0004 if you follow the series and would like to make a few bucks getting published. I got dibs on covering Ojibwe and LSPR already and the Culpster will probably be doing Wild West.

Jerry

·
Straight @ "T"
188 Posts
Eric,
I'm sure that it was a Cam Warren article. I think the pix were by Tim Cline, if memory serves me. It was a shot of our Audi with all 4 off the ground on a POR press stage. I remember the road looked like it was run through a dump with discarded cars and refrigerators around every corner. Maybe that's just what the roads were like back then! I do have the original picture and article.
JimB

http://www.gis.net/~blumen/AudiRally1.jpg

:p :p :p

·
Old Fart
560 Posts
Actually the shot on the cover of Road & Track was a BMW driven by Erhard Dahm. A similar photo was on the cover of the 1972 POR program (have a copy). I believe that George (something like Horshack)was the photographer and the photos were staged.

Paul Jaeger
PRIMO Stage Crews
For a Good Time, Call PRIMO!

·
Registered
118 Posts
>Eric,
> I'm sure that it was a Cam Warren article. I think the
>pix were by Tim Cline, if memory serves me. It was a shot
>of our Audi with all 4 off the ground on a POR press stage.
>I remember the road looked like it was run through a dump
>with discarded cars and refrigerators around every corner.
>Maybe that's just what the roads were like back then! I do
>have the original picture and article.
>JimB

I may have another pix of you. I'll look next time I'm sorting through negs.

That looks like the 1972 Belle Isle stage in downtown Detroit. The reason I think that is because I have some other shots from Belle Isle and they kinda look like that.

However, your memory is correct, there was another spectator stage called the Alma Dump. It literally ran through the dump in the City of Alma complete with discarded refrigerators and all.

I don't remember '72 that well, but in '73 Alma dump ran twice, on the first day and then coming back on the third day. I remember everyone bitching about having to do the transit from Grayling for a half mile (?) spectator stage when all anyone wanted to do at that point was go to bed.

·
Straight @ "T"
188 Posts
Ah, when stages were stages. Like Mandan Road! This shot was taken around 79-80 at the POR in the U.P. I guess they had their own dump stage. I remember we came in 2nd in production that year and the next. Always a bridesmaid...
JimB

·
Registered
436 Posts
Actually, I was rather impressed with the article. It wasn't
as stupid as I had expected and had a good set of photos. I
laughed at the typo describing a 0.08 multiplication factor
on displacement for push-rods. That would really bring out
the big block boys.

Patrick

·
Registered
483 Posts
>
>
>Actually, I was rather impressed with the article. It
>wasn't
>as stupid as I had expected and had a good set of photos. I
>laughed at the typo describing a 0.08 multiplication factor
>on displacement for push-rods. That would really bring out
>the big block boys.
>
>Patrick

Cool, anything with pushrods is group2 material :7 Let's see them big-blocks out there.

I thumbed through the issue at the store last night (didn't have the $4 to buy it), what about the Pic on the last page (I think it was)? Looks like an old V8 sled in off-road trim :) I think we need a new 'Bomber' class in rally, V-8's only minimum weight 4000# :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
>>I laughed at the typo describing a 0.08 multiplication factor
>>on displacement for push-rods. That would really bring out
>>the big block boys.

and

>Looks like an old V8 sled in off-road
>trim :) I think we need a new 'Bomber' class in rally,
>V-8's only minimum weight 4000# :)

Hmmm, memories of the Chadillac - '69 'Sedan' de Ville, bench seats (front AND back), 500 cubes of thirst! Ran out of gas on one or more stages that I recall in Wild West. Wonder whatever happened to it...

Andrew

1 - 18 of 18 Posts