Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Jason McDaniel
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We work with Hoosier for many other projects, and have heard from them for the last three years that these tires were coming. The Tarmac tire is in production and being shipped, though they are currently all going to Europe. The Gravel tire has been in testing and the final groove pattern has been developed and a mold is being made. Preproduction tires should be seen testing early this year and with any luck, production tires should be available by mid year.

I saw this tire in person at both SEMA and PRI this year.

Hoosier sent us this pic of the hand grooved development Gravel tire and gave us the go-ahead to share it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I heard at PRI this weekend that even the gravel tire sounds like it will be better suited for Euro style rallycross as it's quite soft, offering great grip, but short lift. In a Max Attack sprint format involving dirt or gravel it'd be fantastic, but over a full stage rally it sounds as if it's useful life would be long over prior to completion of the event.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Very cool stuff

·
Jason McDaniel
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I heard at PRI this weekend that even the gravel tire sounds like it will be better suited for Euro style rallycross as it's quite soft, offering great grip, but short lift. In a Max Attack sprint format involving dirt or gravel it'd be fantastic, but over a full stage rally it sounds as if it's useful life would be long over prior to completion of the event.
Both the tarmac and gravel tires will be available in multiple compounds (hardnesses). And so far, their tarmac tire is wearing much better than tires already available.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Both the tarmac and gravel tires will be available in multiple compounds (hardnesses). And so far, their tarmac tire is wearing much better than tires already available.
Question, is this information from the marketing guys at PRI or from actual racers in Europe that you've talked with personally? Just curious.

The day that I hear a new tire manufacture admit that their tire isn't as good as a leading competitors, well...... that'll be the day. :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'll wait until hearing from otherwise from a party that does not have a vested interest in the project and sales figures stemming from it.

·
Jason McDaniel
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope. And I don't care. We currently burn through more than $1700 worth of Hoosiers every three weeks during the regional NASA Time Trial season. If the Hoosier is the tire to have, and we are out to compete (as opposed to just attending) we will buy it. If a different tire is the one that works best, we will go with it. While tires are definitely a cost, they pale when compared to other costs, and make one of the biggest changes in performance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
just came back from LSPR and saw some cars with gravel tires without any name on it, talked to drivers and they claim these are hoosiers and price is supposed to me amazingly competitive

anything going on with those tires, are they officially available??

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Price ?? :O

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
any word?
I inquired with them, there was mention of development being slowed so that the tires design could meet MSA (british rally) requirements. I sincerely doubt we will see these for sale readily until next summer, I can't wait to try a set when it finally does happen!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts