Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tightens!
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given recent conversations about AWD/turbo GrN cars, local homologation and all of that...

How about making the mechanical equivalent of an EK4 Civic Vti/SiR (FIA #5552) by swapping a 1996 US-spec Del Sol VTEC B16A2 into a plain-Jane local DX hatchback of the same year? No, I haven't written a check to buy the homogation papers yet. :D

Discuss.

Kirk

·
Registered
768 Posts
- What's the point? As long as SCCA has only one GrN class you can be a back-marker cheaper by buying a YUGO (Still homologated till many years to come)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am not exactly an expert or really know that much about the FIA homologation, but I don't think that would work.

I believe the intent of the rules was so that you had to use a mass produced vehicle. Not one with different parts of other cars put together. While a DX with a US spec B16 would be close to an SiRII it isn't the same. The most stricky parts are the fact that the engines aren't the same and the steering wheel is on the wrong side. The SiRII had higher compression and some other difference then the US spec Del Sol engine.

Like I said I am not an expert, and don't really know the FIA rules very well. Besides why don't you just do the same thing and enter it in Group 2? It would be a great Gp 2 vehicle. It almost exactly what I am doing.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hmm, I am not too well versed on FIA stuff, but couldnt you just enter the car in Gp2 here and be competitive, and then, if you travel to mexico or canada, you can enter it in an appropriate N class, instead of the SCCA's one N class.

Also, it would be ultra-easy to import a real CTR B16A, would cost under 1k also

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey, Matt. I notice you finally got your Scirocco out of the street. I've been wanting to stop and zip tie that parking brake cable to something so you don't rip it off on something.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
(*&#$* parking brake.... I wasnt driving it, so It was ok if it laid on the street :) I am gonna have to cover it with something, because even when it is fastened back up where it is supposed to be, it gets grabbed by stuff... I finally got some free time, so now the car has a white inside, new brakes, etc.. etc... I hope to be rallying by Magnum Opus..

oops, on topic.. Anyway, I would like to do a rally-civic as I dont think above mentioned scirocco has alot of life left in it.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
If you want to pursue something like this, the absolute first thing you should do is fork over the cash for the homologation papers (both the GpA and GpN papers). It is the cheapest way (unless you can find someone who already has them) of figuring out whether what you want to do is even feasible... .

You can also learn a lot about how the FIA classes work by looking at the FIA rules and a set of homologation papers.

Adrian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts