Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Loose nut behind the wheel
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find the person that was working the finish line of stage 4 on Friday night of LSPR 05. This person witnessed the most dramatic spin I have ever had (Rob agrees).

We crossed the finish line at over 100 mph, perpendicular to the road. We eventually tapped the loam on the side of the road with the front tires and that got us going backwards at over 90. Then I was lucky enough to do the right things to get the front end to whip around. Once we were pointed the correct direction, I downshifted and let the clutch out. We were still at 4000 rpm in 3rd (approx 60 mph).

This whole process took forever! I think we actually traveled about 1/8 of a mile out of control. I actually had time to think how bad this was going to hurt, then realize we might make it, then think about what I should do to try to recover, do it and laugh at the fact that it actually worked.

The FTC crew didn't see a thing but that finish line worker got one hell of a show.

I take 100% blame for the spin and 10% credit for the recovery. The rally gods were certainly smiling on us at that finish line.

If anyone knows who was working the finish line on stage 4, I would love to contact her/him.

The moral is living through a 100+ mph spin is cool. I hope I NEVER am given the opportunity to do that again.

·
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
>I know you record incar. Will it be posted?

We had a record deck failure at the start of the event so there is no in-car.

·
Registered
285 Posts
>>I know you record incar. Will it be posted?
>
>We had a record deck failure at the start of the event so
>there is no in-car.

You could most likely reproduce the visual by putting the camera on the ground and giving it a good spin.....

Damn, that would have been some footage to see...

(edit for chubby fingers)

·
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
>Missing the Scooby, already?
>:)
>
>alexgelsomino.com

Just because the Mustang is cheaper to run doesn't make it easier to run. In the Subaru, long straights were a chance to take a small break, mat it and make small corrections. In the Mustang, when you hit about 3500 rpm in fourth, the motor comes up on the cam and you become VERY busy with trying to keep the back end in back.

I have heard that Rob was telling people that our spin was "way too exciting".

That much power may not be a good thing but it sure is fun!

·
'is the engine bogging?'
429 Posts
It was the highest-speed spin I've ever been in, and it seemed so quiet the whole time... Cool!

(Insert song from the Spinners here)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.