Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
Glenn:

Any suggestions on class structure? We'd be more than happy to run H class(es).

Wilson

·
Registered
768 Posts
- The only way (?) this will work is to do as GpF guys; Racers do it by themselves!

- Pick, say, 4 smooth rallies in The West and call it "Pacific Historic Rally Championship". That's it!

- Rules are what Glenn did for that "FourLetterWord" group. 25-year age limit, I think.

·
Registered
583 Posts
>- Pick, say, 4 smooth rallies in The West and call it "Pacific
>Historic Rally Championship". That's it!

Topi,

I agree to keep it simple as possible. Glenn's rules are great.

But, forget about "smooth". Let's not make weenies out of Historic Cars. Many are best in the "rough".

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I like the idea, as an antique driver with a 26 year old rally car. Anything that puts the focus back on fun instead of 400 hp AWD is a good thing. There are lots of old rally cars that need dusted off. Gene

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ray replied to my email and they're going to talk to the competition committee about it. I'll let you know what I hear.

I didn't make a specific proposal, I just asked if they'd be amenable to one.

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Y'know, one thing that would probably get NASA behind a H class is getting entries out there. There were no H class entries in any of the WSRC events last year and it has been suggested to me (as chair of the WSRC) to drop H class in 2006.

If you read this forum enough, you would correctly guess that if I switch the other side of the car, it will be in a H class car (and probably something unusual). However, I am spending all of my time available for rally, co-driving for Doug Chernis (and other odd rides, if asked), chairing WSRC and working on the R-A rulebook. No time to build a car myself for a while (and I want to build, not buy, because that would be much of the fun for me).

That leaves Glen and the guy in the midwest with the Saab (I forget his name). Maybe Dave Ellis (what does he run his car in?). We need a bunch more competitors in H class, not people like me who just talk about how cool H class is.

alan

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
>Y'know, one thing that would probably get NASA behind a H
>class is getting entries out there. There were no H class
>entries in any of the WSRC events last year and it has been
>suggested to me (as chair of the WSRC) to drop H class in
>2006.

I hope to be at Doo ****.

The only event I did in the Cortina last year was Mountain Trials in BC. (Alcan, health, work and home stuff conspired to keep me away last year)

I talk to a lot of people who get excited about seeing historic cars, but the competitors seem few and far between. On the other hand, getting 1, 2 or even 3 historic cars in a field of 40 is not a bad start.

Glenn

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would have to say that you might find more people entering
the historic class if there werent so many rules limiting
the performance of the vehicle.

I know I would run in historic but im not going to rebuild my entire car to loose performance and meet the set rules that are currently in place.

Chris
71 datsun 510

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
>I would have to say that you might find more people entering
>the historic class if there werent so many rules limiting
>the performance of the vehicle.
>
>I know I would run in historic but im not going to rebuild my
>entire car to loose performance and meet the set rules that
>are currently in place.

What rules are you talking about? SCCA/RA? All of the SCCA prep rules were undone at the end of the 2003 season.

My car has vented grooved brakes, coilovers, twin 40 DCOEs, bored to 1760cc, big valves etc. Wicked!

Glenn

·
Registered
28 Posts
I guess I havent been keeping up.
I was talking about the scca rules from two years ago because thats
the last rule book they sent me.

If modifications dont need to be from the cars era then thats great.
count me in.

I could not run historic with scca because the engine block, rear brakes, and front suspension were not available at that time.

Chris

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, you can't put electronic fuel injection on (unless in period) and no forced induction (unless the car originally had it).

All the stuff you list is ok. An Impreza drivetrain transplant probably wouldn't be. Makes sense, eh?

I think the SCCA scared a BUNCH of people away with the 2003 rules.

Even in 2003, I ignored all of the prep rules because I thought they were silly. :)

OK, so I am running the original engine block... that was my one concession.

Glenn

1 - 13 of 13 Posts