Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

Has anyone been following the historic Monte Carlo? Take a look at
www.acm.mc and go the the historic section. 350 cars started from all over Europe. Buffam is running, as well as "Tchine" and Jean Ragnotti.

This is what rally should be about! A real challenge, not the new fangled 3 day sprints that make up the WRC currently

Any comments?

Tony

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
Over 350 entries. John Buffum and Ralph Beckman are 4th overall in their Porsche 911S after 8 stages.

Doug Woods

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>Hi Gang,
>
>Has anyone been following the historic Monte Carlo? Take a
>look at
>www.acm.mc and go the the historic section. 350 cars
>started from all over Europe. Buffam is running, as well as
>"Tchine" and Jean Ragnotti.
>
>This is what rally should be about! A real challenge, not
>the new fangled 3 day sprints that make up the WRC currently
>
>Any comments?
>
>Tony
You mean the AWSOME SPECTACLE of a whopping 42 cars starting the WORLD RALLY Champignonskit a couple of weeks ago didn't STUN YA?
Yer Brrrrraaaaainnns froooozen Boyo?
Which do you think is a bigger event 350 cars of all sorts or 42 cars of which 20+ are Mistubishis, 11 dnfs first day.
Imagine the thills of taking a full day off and driving way the phuque in to Boumphuque, France and freezing yer tail off and then you get to watch 32 cars motor past!!!

Back to the Furure is that what yer saying????

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Well the hordes of people that clogged the WRC Monte stages to the point of cancellation didn't seem to mind

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John + Morgan,

Variety is the spice of life. There is no doubt that the WRC chaps are the fastest in the biz. We know this because the manufacturers and their sponsors can afford to hire the best and the best always go to where the money is. All the fans who line the stages are there to bear witness to the results. This is not what the Historic Monte is about. The organizers (same as the WRC Monte and the Monaco F1) have chosen to create an event for a wider caste of competitors. By allowing 350 entrants on what appears to be a "TSD" rally with regularities the focus is shifted to the competitor and the thrill of competing. In the end both are invaluable events with different appeals. The amazing variety of cars running in the historic rally is what caught my eye. It is also a much easier event to get an entry in...

Tony

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>Well the hordes of people that clogged the WRC Monte stages
>to the point of cancellation didn't seem to mind

Oh I forgot, you were there and interviewed all those which were there.

I suppose those dumb Engish that I know who were complaining about the silly short sprint around the same stupid piddly stages again and again in "f***ing Rally of F***ing South Wales" are all misinformed, maybe you should straighten them out.

Once again a statement of such brilliance that I am agog as to what to (politely) say.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
John the sport has been like that for a good many years now, yet it still attracts big crowds, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that people enjoy it enough to make the trek. If it sucked so bad, the sport would have died a long time ago!
Just because a couple of your "friends" seem to live in the past and did not have a good time, does not mean everyone thinks the way they do!

Once again a statement of such brilliance that I am agog as to what to (politely) say.

Right back at you!!!

Yeah, these people are having a terrible time http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

http://rally.racing-live.com/photos/2004/montecarlo/diapo_311.jpg

http://rally.racing-live.com/photos/2004/montecarlo/diapoe_111.jpg

http://rally.racing-live.com/photos/2004/montecarlo/diapoc_314.jpg

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>JB and Ralph Beckman finished 2nd out of the 350 plus
>entries. Congrats, John and Ralph!

Ben:

This performance merits one of your excellent articles for SpecialStage.

I am sure that both John and Ralph have lots of stories from the event.

I scrolled through the entry list and could not believe the quality of the cars. Four Lancia Stratos and so many Renault Alpines that I lost count.

When we talk about historic or vintage rallying here in North America, we look forward to maybe three or four cars showing up for an event.

And lots of spectators in the photos on the stages.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
730 Posts
>When we talk about historic or vintage rallying here in
>North America, we look forward to maybe three or four cars
>showing up for an event.

10 historic entries registered so far for TBird, including a lovely 2 stroke Saab 850GT Monte Carlo...

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>>When we talk about historic or vintage rallying here in
>>North America, we look forward to maybe three or four cars
>>showing up for an event.
>
>10 historic entries registered so far for TBird, including a
>lovely 2 stroke Saab 850GT Monte Carlo...

Paul:

Congratulations. That is an excellent historic entry.

I guess the point I was making was that 3 or 4 or even 10 historic vehicles is miniscule compared to the 350 at Monte Carlo.

I feel that events like Thunderbird are the types of events that will attract more historic vehicles over time, as opposed to special stage rallies, which are just too hard on the cars (unless, of course, it is a tarmac event such as Targa Newfoundland).

Have a very successful rally.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
215 Posts
Paul

If we ever let the Thunderbird secret out in Europe (and expanded it a bit with banquets etc), I'm sure we would!

martin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts