Special Stage Forums banner
101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Did you fall asleep in class?

If it had a plate on it, you could run it.

One of the Cooper 300s, a guy ran a full sized van......

didn't know you could run bajas at one time.
press on,

·
3,909 Posts
Um, Senator, I have no recollection......

<btw, read what I wrote - I said it had to have a plate on it>

Did the plate actually have to belong to the vehicle it was attached to?
:) ;) :)
Adrian
press on,

·
Registered
175 Posts
Did you fall asleep in class?

If it had a plate on it, you could run it.

One of the Cooper 300s, a guy ran a full sized van......

press on,
That would assume I could read and not just look at the pictures.

this is what you get when you learn to read by sneaking Playboys from your uncle's house instead of Dr Seuss.

·
3,909 Posts
We know which side of the car you belong on....

d*mn drivers.....

That would assume I could read and not just look at the pictures.

this is what you get when you learn to read by sneaking Playboys from your uncle's house instead of Dr Seuss.
press on,

·
Spectator Wrangler
831 Posts
As others have mentioned, it was run what ya brung in the early days. Dan Coughenaurer (sp?) ran a tube framed buggy for a few years, there were several Baja bugs run as well as Porsche powered Beetles.
VW usually molds or casts the part number or at least a VW in almost every part they use. I still defy anyone to find a VW emblem or VW part number anywhere on the Vilemure's Beetle with the exception of the transmission case.
For the non-greybeards, it was basically a Baja car ( Class 11?) with a replica Beetle body on top.
Bruno ran a 911-powered Beetle before the 911 and then to an A2 Quattro.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Speaking of run what you brung... Their were 2 borthers from Marquette that owned a skating rink that had a shortened and modified olds toronado.. If I remember the exhaust was out of the hood and over the roof ??? lol

Sadly they were killed rollerskating across the us in texas I think... Dan and ___ ???

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Speaking of run what you brung... Their were 2 borthers from Marquette that owned a skating rink that had a shortened and modified olds toronado.. If I remember the exhaust was out of the hood and over the roof ??? lol

Sadly they were killed rollerskating across the us in texas I think... Dan and ___ ???

Yeah - we've discussed the Buzzard Bros. many, many times ...

·
Old Fart
560 Posts
VW usually molds or casts the part number or at least a VW in almost every part they use. I still defy anyone to find a VW emblem or VW part number anywhere on the Vilemure's Beetle with the exception of the transmission case.
For the non-greybeards, it was basically a Baja car ( Class 11?) with a replica Beetle body on top.
Bruno ran a 911-powered Beetle before the 911 and then to an A2 Quattro.
Bruno's first rally car was a Karman Ghia, I don't know if it was Porsche powered.

·
Shifting and drifting
513 Posts
As others have mentioned, it was run what ya brung in the early days. Dan Coughenaurer (sp?) ran a tube framed buggy for a few years, there were several Baja bugs run as well as Porsche powered Beetles.
Wackiest would have been Dick Turner's Ford EXP. Basically a two seat sprint car (spinner hub nuts if memory still works) with a body. Finished one and only one rally.....dead last. We were all wasted at the bar and Grimmy was still drinking coffee in the forest.:D

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Fire Arrows were in Production.

300ZX's were in Production GT.

I have ton's of "slides". Any way to get them turned into 1's and 0's?
As I remember discussions back in the day Fire Arrows and their apparent domination (OMG, 2.6 liters!) were what spurred the creation of the PGT class.

Google 'slides to digital pictures' and take your pick. Looks like you could send them out and get a CD back or buy a transparency scanner and DIY.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Bruno's first rally car was a Karman Ghia, I don't know if it was Porsche powered.
Bruno built the motor for my Bug that is sitting down in the garage in NJ. According to Bill Todd, the 911 Al drove in the late 60s prior to the VW was a 'Bruno creation.'

I hope the first week of December to make the trip down to Garage Mahal, I've been playing phone tag with Fernie since Saturday but she passed the message though my son that Al kept boxes and boxes of 'rally stuff and papers' and I'm welcome to any of it plus whatever is in the garage that goes with the car.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Got Digitized?

I have ton's of "slides". Any way to get them turned into 1's and 0's?
Canon 8600F or 8800F. About $200 new from Best Buy or less if you can find a used one. Really easy to use, too. Otherwise how many didja have? If you send them in batches of 100 or less I can usually pound 'em out in a couple weeks or less at no charge. I even do the color correcting, get rid of fuzzies, etc. Below is an example from '86 Ojibwe. (Yes, I know this is a bigger than normal photo. Just an example of what the scanner can do.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've pretty much ignored this forum until Mad Mike revived it a couple of weeks ago. Since its reawakening the great contributions have continued to be posted.

Just to remind folks, I snapped the photos with my little Kodak Pocket Instamatic camera that Mike initially based this thread on.

After reviewing all of the posts since this thread's beginning I notice an early comment I made now seems rather pretentious. That comment stated something to the effect of my not being able to contribute much about the current rally scene but being able to "fill in the blanks" about the pictures I took.

After reading the posts on this thread quite the opposite is true. You folks have filled in a lot of blanks for me. I thought I was fairly plugged in to the rally scene of the mid to late `70s but I've gotten insights from this thread about people and events of the period I had no idea of. Very, very good stuff!

One other thing I've noticed is the idea that many contributors to this thread have expressed interest in the relatively large V-8 powered cars in a number of the pics. While taking nothing away from my admiration of the smaller, more traditional rally cars of the time I also got a kick out of seeing the "big iron" cars being slogged around.

The sound of tweaked-up four cylinder engines screaming around the hills of southern Ohio was stirring and incomparable to me, but as a guy who's formative years were spent around souped-up V-8 street cars and Super Modifieds being thrown around our local short track bullring I must admit having had a soft spot for the big rides. (That made John Buffum's old Triumph TR8 that much cooler to me. It was a small car but with its -- albeit small displacement -- V-8 it sounded like a fugitive from an oval track.)

Thanks to Mad Mike for bringing this thread back to life yet another time!

·
'is the engine bogging?'
429 Posts
A water splash and a sizeable spectator throng for 1978 (probably mostly service crew members or competitor's family) -

I remember that road - long straight and then the railroad crossing- fun!

·
'is the engine bogging?'
429 Posts
I resorted to Googling "Suicide by Proxy" to find my scans of the Rallye Magazine article Grimo wrote way back when and it sent me here - again. There is so much good info in this thread that I thought it would be good to bump it so our recent fans of North American rallying's early days could take in all this info too!

Enjoy, again.
The Funniest Rally Article Every Written.

Some time ago the website that had the text to the "Suicide By Proxy" article
succumbed to the great bit bucket in the sky, so I grabbed a copy of that text
(via the Wayback Machine) and stashed it HERE.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts