Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't you just hate reading rulebooks? I just received a notice from Hertz #1 Club Gold (because of company travel) stating in section 5.e.4:

Neither you nor any authorized operator may use or permit the use of anyone in a speed test, speed contest, race, rally, speed endurance contest or demonstration

and 5.d:

Neither you nor any authorized operator may ... use off paved roads or on roads which are not regularly maintained ....

Donna's dad's house is accessible only via a dirt road--does that mean I can't rent a car to get there? And how generic is "rally"? Road rallies (TSD) prohibited? My assumption is yes.

Even scarier are their privacy rules, but that's a thread (threat?) for a different forum.

----------------------
John Dillon       John @ WidgetRacing.com
            www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Registered
286 Posts
MY COMMENTS SCATTERED IN CAPS...

>Don't you just hate reading rulebooks? I just received a
>notice from Hertz #1 Club Gold (because of company travel)
>stating in section 5.e.4:
>
>Neither you nor any authorized operator may use or permit
>the use of anyone in a speed test, speed contest, race,
>rally, speed endurance contest or demonstration

THIS COMES FROM THE OLD DAYS, WHEN HERTZ HAD GT500'S AND THE MERCURY EQUIVALENT FOR RENT...MORE THAN ONE CAME BACK AFTER A WEEKEND WITH ROLL BAR BOLT HOLES IN THE FLOORPAN.
>and 5.d:
>
>Neither you nor any authorized operator may ... use off
>paved roads or on roads which are not regularly maintained
>....

AS LONG AS HE TAKES CARE OF THE ROAD IN SOME FORM, THAT SHOULD QUALIFY AS 'REGULARLY MAINTAINED'. BESIDES, I DON'T THINK A PRIVATE ACCESS ROAD JUST TO A HOUSE QUITE QUALIFIES. WHAT WOULD THEY THINK OF A 100-YARD GRAVEL DRIVEWAY?
>Donna's dad's house is accessible only via a dirt road--does
>that mean I can't rent a car to get there? And how generic
>is "rally"? Road rallies (TSD) prohibited? My assumption
>is yes.
SO IS MINE...SEE THE ABOVE ABOUT THE OLD DAYS.
>Even scarier are their privacy rules, but that's a thread
>(threat?) for a different forum.
>
>----------------------
>John Dillon       John @ WidgetRacing.com
>            www.WidgetRacing.com

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Boy am I glad they don't mention Solo or RallyCross in there. :)
>
>Neither you nor any authorized operator may use or permit
>the use of anyone in a speed test, speed contest, race,
>rally, speed endurance contest or demonstration

>
>and 5.d:
>
>Neither you nor any authorized operator may ... use off
>paved roads or on roads which are not regularly maintained
>....

>
>Donna's dad's house is accessible only via a dirt road--does
>that mean I can't rent a car to get there? And how generic
>is "rally"? Road rallies (TSD) prohibited? My assumption
>is yes.

You can drive down unpaved roads that are regularly maintained. However, our company policy of using rental cars to go to distance construction sites is obviously against Hertz's policy. Not my problem. I rent what ever they tell me and drive it to where ever I need to go. Let the corporate types argue about it.

Richard Miller
>
>Even scarier are their privacy rules, but that's a thread
>(threat?) for a different forum.
>
>----------------------
>John Dillon       John @ WidgetRacing.com
>            www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Nerd with a clock & clipboard
252 Posts
Go to Salt Lake City anytime close to September and you will see a sign on all the rental car counters to the effect of "Driving our vehicle on Bonneville Salt Flats will result in detailing charges being applied to your account..."

·
Registered
120 Posts
I dont think you drivers or co-driver's have seen the rental cars after us photog's have used them. I would be afraid to put one on jacks, at least some have one form of a skid plate :+

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hmm.. Good thing I stuck to paved roads last weekend. I was in Monterey, CA and I rented a Volvo S80 from Hertz for the trip. I took some trips inland on some REALLY twisty roads (at rather brisk speeds. :) ). It was a pretty nice ride. The car also had their "Neverlost" GPS in it. It was really sweet. I was suprised just how well it worked.

--Jason Williams
'86 G2 Celica

·
Registered
426 Posts
I seem to remember a stroy in the news a few months ago about a certain rental car company monitoring speeds through in car GPS navigation systems and issuing a "speeding ticket" on your bill.x(

·
Sucker for good roads
717 Posts
Breaking Hertz' Rules

Hertz still treats me like a valued #1 Club Gold member after renting their Mustangs (almost the only rwd you can rent other than trucks) for rallycrosses three times - in Houston (thanks to the event by Scott Leonard and Dave Weiman), Las Vegas (Scott Bottomley and Tom Grossman), and Washington DC (Dave Shindle and Sumit Punjabi). I never did worse than 2nd place, and never washed the car (it was very, very dirty). I tried to scrape some of the grass out of the tire beads (which I broke twice on the front left in Houston), and I always put the ABS fuse back in after the race.

See - treat their cars with some respect and they rent to you again!

·
Registered
967 Posts
RE: Breaking Hertz' Rules

At the Reno Rally a couple years ago, a dry lake bed on the way to service almost ate my rent-a-Cavalier. When I returned the car, I popped the trunk to check for lost gear and a dust cloud errupted to the amazement of the Avis staff. So I told the check-in guy, "you need to wash these things more often."

Jim Culp
prorallypix.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts