Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local region of the SCCA puts on Solo I, Solo II and Rally events. The rally events have put a significant amount of money in the coffers over the years and have purchased some equipment with some of that money. That region (as it exists now) will no longer be able to put on Rally events but some of the people associated with that region will be putting on events in the future with some other organization that does sanction rallies. Should they get that equipment? Should the region (which will continue to put on Solo I and II events) provide some seed money for the new group to put on rallies? Am I totally off base here?

Flame away.

Edit for spelling.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Well Don this exact scenario exsists for us in the Las Vegas Region. We are still obviuosly running our Rally-x program as is. For our Rally Sprint whatever profit we made from the event went to the Region. Well now that profit will simply show up on the regions books as equipment rental. Both Scott and I are SCCA members and will continue to be.I suspect our 05 event sanction will be through RA. The fact that the SCCA will not be the sanctioning body doesn't matter as a region we purchased equipment for the benefit of the Region. LVR SCCA has done many joint events with other clubs. As a smaller region we do not have the dilema like say Cal Club or SF Region were the Road Racers , Solo and Rally people really don't talk to each other. This is only a problem if you choose to make it one , if the organizer wants to become independant the the region can rent the equipment for a small fee or like Scott and I , you are active in all facets of your region you can call whatever money is left over "equipment rental". There is no us and them here just a differant set of paperwork.

Tom

·
Registered
253 Posts
SCCA (Natl) will no longer provide Performance Rally insurance, and hence no longer have Performance Rally series. As I understand it, there is no prohibition from an SCCA region (or group within a region) from putting on Performance Rallies, (as long as they get insurance from somewhere else). Regions within SCCA regularly put on events not specifically sactioned or administered by the National Office (Concours, car shows, gimmick rallyes, Go-cart races, etc.)

Bill

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
At least two Regions that I'm aware of have voted to continue their rally programs under the new sanctioning body. As I understand it, SCCA is not only allowing this, but encouraging it.

Form a new organization if you think you need to, by all means...but there are other options.

Bruce

·
Registered
500 Posts
Quite the dilemma for the smaller regions, indeed.
Lake Superior Region has continued to exist for the last 10 years simply to put on the Lake Superior ProRally. Within the last 3-4 years, we tried to reignite the Solo 2 program, to no real avail...

760 Posts
Hello Guys!

It is unclear to me why all of you would persist
in forcing rallying onto SCCA after SCCA dropped it.

Is it perhaps because the old "club" habits die
hard? There is absolutely no reason why you
would not be able to organize events outside
SCCA - and more easily.

Several years ago, when organizing the first
Rally New York, after our experience with
the SCCA National Office, the PRB and the local
ClubRally Steward, who made a concerted effort
to undermine and abolish Rally New York, we
decided that there was no future in working
with SCCA.

The subsequent chain of events proved us correct
and our events flourished.....

Ivan Orisek
Rally New York
Rally New York USA
Rally New York Rallycross Series
845-794-4096
[email protected]
www.RallyNewYork.com

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts
St. Louis Region Board voted to support the continuation of a performance rally progeam even 'tho the mother ship is no longer sanctioning/insuring these events. It will, of course, insist upon adequate coverage and exemption from liability. this is good for us as the entire structure of managing our events has developed udner the Region umbrella. But as Bruce says....there are alternatives. Let's just keep quality events happening.

Kim DeMotte
Official Old Fart, etc.

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Ivan,
In some areas, the local club that puts on rallies is organized under the SCCA banner. The Texas Region SCCA has a different BoD than the national BoD. But I don't think I'm going to get the same support from the Texas region that Kim is getting from the St. Louis region.
Richard

·
Registered
436 Posts
>St. Louis Region Board voted to support the continuation of
>a performance rally progeam even 'tho the mother ship is no
>longer sanctioning/insuring these events. It will, of
>course, insist upon adequate coverage and exemption from
>liability. this is good for us as the entire structure of
>managing our events has developed udner the Region umbrella.
> But as Bruce says....there are alternatives. Let's just
>keep quality events happening.
>
>Kim DeMotte
>Official Old Fart, etc.

Does this mean that the region will still host the 2004
National Clubrally Championships at 100 Acre Woods?

Patrick

·
Registered
901 Posts
It is a dilemma for the local clubs to deal with... and since the local clubs are made up of people who just wanna race, it doesn't matter what the head office in far-off Topeka wants to do with rally.

For Oregon Region, we've worked hard to integrate our programs into a club for people who like motorsports. We are a group of people who like doing things with our cars, whether it's road racing, Solo, autocross, rallycross, TSD, stage rallying, whatever. Often, you'll find rally people working races, and race people working (or competing) in rallies. We've all tried to "get along", because we're all the same type of breed: people who like cars and competing in cars and working events for people competing in cars.

Yes, the loss of rally from on high is going to require some thought as to how we can continue to have a rally program for the hordes of people interested in rally. But I don't necessarily think that we (the rally portion of our club) need to peel off and ditch the rest of the community because of SCCA head office's actions. It would undermine all the good relationships we've managed to grow over time.

As far as equipment, money, etc. goes: depending on how good of terms you are on with the rest of your club, you could rent the equipment, buy the equipment, ask for seed money, or just start fresh with new money. I'm just a worker bee here in Oregon Region, my brother Matt and sister-in-law Monika are the ones most closely involved with the region's board and know the most about the state of these things.

Anyway, I guess where I'm going with this is: well, I'm not sure where I'm going with this. Maybe all I wanted to say was that it would be foolhardy to up and ditch the local club 100% after all everyone has done to become One Local Club for all racers. Maybe the point I was trying to make was that I don't feel the need to turn my back on my racing buddies because some jerks in Topeka decided to dump the rally community (repeat after me: You can't dump me, I dump you first! :) Ha ha!) and that there's no reason to think that these people have changed overnight into The Enemy because they're still stuck with SCCA.

Yeah, some people have had bad problems with SCCA. And I say to them, if you've found a good alternative, good on ya. But wow, look how much class you DON'T show by bad mouthing SCCA. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
245 Posts
>
>Several years ago, when organizing the first
>Rally New York, after our experience with
>the SCCA National Office, the PRB and the local
>ClubRally Steward, who made a concerted effort
>to undermine and abolish Rally New York, we
>decided that there was no future in working
>with SCCA.

Politics, politics. Some SCCA regions have more support for Rally than others. Some organizers find it easyer to work with the individuals in one group than in another. Its differant for everyone. I respect your choice to go with NASA, but its a little grating to have someone shouting that everyone should. There is at least one NASA RallySport official that the local group of organizers want to avoid at all costs, and who continually tries to undermine OUR program, to the point of outright lieing about things that happened in the past. Its the same on bost sides. Politics. As I said, it just depends on who the individual organizers find it easyer to work with. Blue Mountain Region has always supported Rally (The Region Don K. is reffering to). And DC Region's rally program has been getting considerably more support from the region's BoD.

I was at both the first RNY as well as the one in the spring of this year. I can understand why the first one would have engendered bad feelings among the hierarchy. This last one I attended was a first class event, and I was glad to be a part of it. (Even though balljoint failure took my team out on the second stage. Gotta love big rocks...) Lets all get along instead of trying to get each other to come over to our side. There's enough room for everyone. :)

-n

·
Registered
245 Posts
Often, you'll find rally people
>working races, and race people working (or competing) in
>rallies. We've all tried to "get along", because we're all
>the same type of breed: people who like cars and competing
>in cars and working events for people competing in cars.

What a refreshing opinion. :) I compete in and help organize the local rallycross series. I also work tech at the road races, and have just bought a car for racing in ITB. I hear too often people saying how thier facet of our sport is so much better than any other. Its all going fast in cars... Each facet has a differant set of pros and cons. But I will say this... Rally people party like no other group. :p

Nick Polimeni
[email protected]
www.odysseyhouseonline.com
www.hrm-usa.com

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
>Hello Guys!
>
>It is unclear to me why all of you would persist
>in forcing rallying onto SCCA after SCCA dropped it.
>
If my original post read to you that I was trying to force rallying onto SCCA, either I am a terribly bad communicator or you are totally misunderstanding!!!!!!

I also don't read that into any of the other posts, so far.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Be carefull not to burn bridges too much. Good or bad, SCCA had rally for 30 years. The past 5 years of the NWO "extreme sport" nonsense killed SCCA rally.

Doug Havir, John Shirley, etc are currently keeping things going (and perhaps for the better), but what happens when they tire, retire, become ill, etc?

You might eventually go back to SCCA. Tread lightly.

Keep in mind those who bowed in reverence to the NWO without regard to what it would do to rally, and who still do not acknowledge or at least recongnize the error of their ways. Those are the people who you should burn bridges to.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not at all trying to dump the local club. I'm just trying to figure out where/how to go in the future. And just looking for other peoples thought and ideas. This is after all a discussion forum, I hope. No idea or discussion is necessairly a bad one.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I think there's ways for a rally group to stay with the local club, regardless of who sanctions and insures what motorsport event or type. Especially as it's the local people who have to do the work, not the far away sanctioning body.

One way to do it is to set up a semi-autonomous rally group, who still keeps a hand in the local club but has all the equipment, etc. held under a separate billing, as it were. Ummmm.... I'm not sure if that made sense. :)

Of course, in places like BMR where the rally portion of the club is the lion's share, you gotta look at how the withdrawal of rally equipment, funds, etc. will affect the rest of the local club. That argues for NOT withdrawing, instead setting up rules for borrowing equipment. The money issue is the sticky point, though. Set up separate bank accounts for rally, race, and solo. Not sure how to start it all from scratch without financially hurting any one group, though.

It is definitely a dilemma, but don't burn bridges between the different forms of motorsports! We all like going fast in our cars, or at least doing stuff in our cars, together, and it makes sense to foster relationships between us. Besides, those race guys might have some good ideas, those solo people might have a contact or two who could help out.... you see where I'm going....

·
Registered
689 Posts
Don I do not want to be misunderstood either , My comments just to let other regions/organizers know how we are approaching our event. Our region has been supportive as well as giving us a free hand to develop the events.

Tom Grossmann

PS he Nick would you be driving a ITB 142 - I hope

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
>There is at least one NASA RallySport
>official that the local group of organizers want to avoid at
>all costs, and who continually tries to undermine OUR
>program, to the point of outright lieing about things that
>happened in the past.

Nick:

Who is the person you are referring to, what is "your program" that you are referencing, what actions have been taken by that person to undermine your program, and what are the lies that you are alleging were told by that person?

Wilson

·
Registered
253 Posts
>Keep in mind those who bowed in reverence to the NWO without
>regard to what it would do to rally, and who still do not
>acknowledge or at least recongnize the error of their ways.
>Those are the people who you should burn bridges to.

Isn't it a little dificult to burn the bridge to the SCCA BOD, without burning the bridge to SCCA? ;-)

Bill

1 - 20 of 23 Posts