Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks:

I am doing a cheapie set-up on an A2 Golf because I already have the Bilstein HDs. I will be putting on coil-over kits both front and back, and I need to know what Length/Rate springs I need to use with this set-up to get proper height and handling for gravel. Do I use standard 8" coil over springs, or do I go with longer ones? What rates should I use?

TIA

Wilson

·
Registered
527 Posts
RE: Help - Spring Length/Rate for A2 VW

Spring rates depend on several factors including the weight of the car, the weight distribution of the car, the type of shocks used, your driving style, ride height desired, etc.

You want to go with stock length springs or even an inch shorter, because the stiffness of the harder springs will result in less droop giving you stock height or slightly higher. You want to be as low as possible, meaning at or slightly above stock ride height.

You should try to find somebody who has a stock of differing rate springs who'll let you try different combinations of variable rate springs until you get the right setup.

I'm shooting for 300# front, and 200# rear in the Jetta with stock length springs, so with the Golf, you'll be just a little lighter than that.

The key is to have as much tire on the ground as much as possible.

CP
Desert Storm Rally
A2 Jetta #305

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts

>I'm using 12s 250 front 150 rear
thats sounding a lot closer, but I'd want to see 13" front and 14" rear.

Normally, you select the spring, then select a damper to control the spring, but if you already have the damper, you cant go too far from what the damper can handle.
>
>
>Matthew
>www.trirally.com

John Vanlandingham

·
Registered
533 Posts

A 12in front spring won a coil over conversion with the perch all the way down has just the slightest amount of preload on the spring.

I think that if you go much longer on the fronts, you'll just end up reducing the amount of compression you get before you get to coil bind.

jblewis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts