Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Don't give him the stick!
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its come time to start sorting the suspension for my rally project. I have everything figured out except the dampers.

Im running on a budget, so ideally I would like to keep costs low. This leads me to a simple strut, coilover sleeve combo. I have tentatively settled on Koni's for their racing history and reliability, but would also be willing to try Bilsteins, if only they were available for my chassis.

As for springs/sleeves, I know people have used Ground Control sleeve kits with success. I just need to figure out what spring rates to run.

Whats kind of car you ask? It is a 1991 Nissan 240SX. For those not in the know, this is a light, rear wheel drive, sport coupe. Im looking at a prepared weight of around 2500 lbs, with a weight distribution near 50 50. Im curious what you guys would suggest for initial valving. I plan to have 2 full sets of dampers, so they can be switched out with no down time.

I appreciate all the help I can get.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I would call bilstein and see what they can do. Things you'll likely need to know are the lengths (compressed and extended) of the shock, diameter of the spring coil, spindle mounting bolt patern, etc. They just might be able to make something work. You don't have anything to loose and they are generally helpful.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
You could talk to davenport racing in Princeton mn. We can provide an actual rally set for that car with ride hieght adjustment starting at around 1400 and if
you want dampening adjustment you are looking at around 2000. This would include shipping to your door !

Doug davenport
www.davenportracingusa.com
evenings six12.309.78one8

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,629 Posts
Go find the Bilstein HDs that will fit your car. Then go find the H&R OE Sport springs that fit your car. Then go rallying and don't worry about suspension until you break the suspension, which should be at least a year.

R36-5023 Shock Absorber BILSTEIN - B6 SPORT 1 164,00 EUR / Piece (excl. VAT)
Fitting Position Front Axle, Suspension Strut Insert, Single Tube Upside Down, Top pin

B46-1744 Shock Absorber BILSTEIN - B6 SPORT 1 149,00 EUR / Piece (excl. VAT)
Fitting Position Rear Axle, Spring-bearing Damper, Gas Pressure, Monotube, Bottom eye, Top pin

Couldn't find OE Sport springs, but I am sure they are out there.

Good luck.

·
left 6 through dip into weeds
279 Posts
I think someone already mentioned that there is a team running your car in Canada. Did you contact Martin? Did you check his website for information? I'll be willing to bet that he'll share whatever info he has with you regarding spring and shock rates. If that doesn't work for you, what Wilson said.
Greg

·
Registered
847 Posts
He was asking for valving. I gave him the answer he'd get over there. But without the hassle of dealing with John.

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
He was asking for valving. I gave him the answer he'd get over there. But without the hassle of dealing with John.
Actually, you were way off base. The answer John (JVAB) would have given would be to call him directly at the number off his website. If you want to refer him to spec sheets, you should figure out what the actual car he has is. A 240 Nissan is pretty close in weight and distribution to a Merkur/Sierra so the Ford Motorsport Sierra build manual is more applicable than the RS2000 one.
Also, many of us like John's informative, no bullshit or stroking ego footsy crap approach to rallying and appreciate his focus on real people privateer rallyists and how he tries to find ways to help make this sport attainable and more importantly sustainable for those of us that aren't millionaires and have other important things in our life like families and careers. His absence from Specialstage the past few years has resulted in a partial stagnation in the Car Construction forum and threads of much value are fewer while posts of incorrect or misleading information with no correction has increased.

Back to topic...
Martin Walter has been running a 240sx on John's stuff for a few years now. They've worked through problems that crop up when you're using custom parts. That said, you will not get a cheaper and more reliable setup than JVAB stuff. Skip an event or two to afford it and it will save you money in the long run in maintenance of the parts you have, as well as lost stage mileage due to blown up struts.

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, you were way off base. The answer John (JVAB) would have given would be to call him directly at the number off his website. If you want to refer him to spec sheets, you should figure out what the actual car he has is. A 240 Nissan is pretty close in weight and distribution to a Merkur/Sierra so the Ford Motorsport Sierra build manual is more applicable than the RS2000 one.
Also, many of us like John's informative, no bullshit or stroking ego footsy crap approach to rallying and appreciate his focus on real people privateer rallyists and how he tries to find ways to help make this sport attainable and more importantly sustainable for those of us that aren't millionaires and have other important things in our life like families and careers. His absence from Specialstage the past few years has resulted in a partial stagnation in the Car Construction forum and threads of much value are fewer while posts of incorrect or misleading information with no correction has increased.

Back to topic...
Martin Walter has been running a 240sx on John's stuff for a few years now. They've worked through problems that crop up when you're using custom parts. That said, you will not get a cheaper and more reliable setup than JVAB stuff. Skip an event or two to afford it and it will save you money in the long run in maintenance of the parts you have, as well as lost stage mileage due to blown up struts.
Man do I need to get in the habit of checking the stuff I post here on SS more often. I completely forgot I posted this until Matt mentioned something to me in person. I rapid fire switched focus, and have been scouring the internet for a new rear diff (long story).

Alright, here is what I have so far.

Ive talked to Koni, they have nothing that I feel will hold up to the abuse I will put it through. This paired with the fact that its much harder to find someone capable of re valving Koni's as apposed to bilstiens.

This leaves me with a custom Bilstien system, and out 2 new contenders. I had not considered running anything custom from Davenport or JVAB, as the price point was above my budget. That being said, I was basing that on what I had seen on davenports website, and the $1400 quote undercuts that quite a bit.

I spent a few minutes looking for an email addy for the 240SX team in Canada, but was on my way out, and have not looked since, I guess its time to give it another shot. This brings me to JVAB, after looking at some of his stuff, its time for me to get in contact with him as well. Either way, I guess its time to start eating top ramen again.

Thanks for your help guys, Ive got a long way to go and Im sure it wont be the last time I will need it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
For price reasonings, my JVAB setup, all 4 corners, was 1850. Although the rear is more or less off the shelf.... In my case. I'm not sure what a 240sx has in the back. My car is an AE86

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For price reasonings, my JVAB setup, all 4 corners, was 1850. Although the rear is more or less off the shelf.... In my case. I'm not sure what a 240sx has in the back. My car is an AE86
Its got multilink rear, with coilover shocks from the factory, using a 2 bolt tophat, and a single eye on the bottom.

randyzimmer said:
Martin goes by
MRWmotorsports
here on SS
Thanks for the info.

·
left 6 through dip into weeds
279 Posts
email sent

·
L3> over crest, drops!
647 Posts
That looks pretty tall..don't really think you need more height than that. How long is that spring?

Is the engine installed in that pic? That could be part of why it looks so tall.

Also, what are you doing for rears on the car? Seems like there would need to be some custom bits in the back to get everything to articulate and not bind up. Still the stockish arrangement you posted previously?

B-

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That looks pretty tall..don't really think you need more height than that. How long is that spring?

Is the engine installed in that pic? That could be part of why it looks so tall.

Also, what are you doing for rears on the car? Seems like there would need to be some custom bits in the back to get everything to articulate and not bind up. Still the stockish arrangement you posted previously?

B-
There is no engine for the picture, but I added 500 lbs of fat men, and only lost about an inch of height. I will decide whether to go up or down once I get closer to completion.

As for the rear, I will be running a stockish setup, with heavier springs, more travel, and different valving.

Im not worried about binding at all with the multi link rear suspension. It has great articulation, and a good travel range. I have yet to decide if I want to run a rear sway bar or not. I have one, just not sure if I will put it in. Maybe I will try both ways.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts