Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Put the steering wheel back on
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've made a claim that virtually any car built in the past 50 years has been rallied somewhere at some point in time (counting Targas, Raids, and events like Gazelles and Mongol Rally. Not counting Gumball/Bullrun). As a challenge I've asked some friends to name cars and I'd see if I could find record of them rallying. I've had trouble finding the following and thought I'd check with my more knowledgeable compatriots here. Simple confirmation is sufficient, years/events would be awesome, pictures would be over the top amazing. Thanks, everyone!

Ford Pinto
Ford Mustang II
Ford Crown Victoria (found a '54 from La Carrera Panamerica, any records of a post-1980 model competing?)
Audi RS6 Avant
Nissan Cube
Cadillac Fleetwood

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
I have rallied in a Pinto. I have rolled in a Pinto.

Guys here in MI rallied an ex-DNR Crown Vic.

There was a big Caddy rallied in the NW. Not sure if it was a Fleetwood.

ymmv

press on,

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks, Jimmy! That's two more on the list!

Here's everything someone's asked about that I (or others) have been able to confirm via Google or other sources:
Alfa Romeo GTV6
AMC Gremlin
Aston Martin DBRS9
Audi Avant (any)
Chevy Camaro
Chevy Nova
Chrysler PT Cruiser
Dacia Lodgy van
Ford Crown Victoria (thanks, Jimmy)
Ford Falcon
Ford Mustang
Ford Pinto (thanks, Jimmy)
Lotus Exige
Mercedes Benz 190E
Mercedes-Benz 450SLC
Mercedes-Benz S-Class
Mitsubishi Delica van
Nissan Leaf
Pontiac Trans Am
Reliant Robin
Rolls Royce
Smart ForTwo
Tatra 603
Toyota Altezza/Lexus IS200/300
Toyota Prius
Volvo Amazon

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
We had a Pinto that rallied out of Toledo, Ohio too in the 70s. The driver and the codriver were Bill Priest and (?) Lord. We called them the Ecumenical Rally team.

Thanks, Jimmy! That's two more on the list!

Here's everything someone's asked about that I (or others) have been able to confirm via Google or other sources:
Alfa Romeo GTV6
AMC Gremlin
Aston Martin DBRS9
Audi Avant (any)
Chevy Camaro
Chevy Nova
Chrysler PT Cruiser
Dacia Lodgy van
Ford Crown Victoria (thanks, Jimmy)
Ford Falcon
Ford Mustang
Ford Pinto (thanks, Jimmy)
Lotus Exige
Mercedes Benz 190E
Mercedes-Benz 450SLC
Mercedes-Benz S-Class
Mitsubishi Delica van
Nissan Leaf
Pontiac Trans Am
Reliant Robin
Rolls Royce
Smart ForTwo
Tatra 603
Toyota Altezza/Lexus IS200/300
Toyota Prius
Volvo Amazon

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Nissan Leaf piloted by Brad Lovell ran Pikes Peak two years ago I believe...

·
Registered
159 Posts
There was a yellow Alfa Romeo GTV6 rallied at Ojibwe a few years ago.
The AMC Eagle Kammback better known as a 4wd AMC Gremlin was Rallied at the 1983 Northern Lights rally.
At STPR around 1998 there was a display with a 1960's Ford Falcon that had competed in a long distance rally.
Something like London to Sidney and won.
Don Rathbarger the Snow Drift Organizer has rallied Mustang and a Mustang II.

Fun Topic.

Steve

·
Registered
315 Posts
There was a factory Prius that ran in Canada ~10 years ago.

I've done a few TSDs/regularity rallies in Priuses too.

·
Spectator Wrangler
831 Posts

ymmv

press on,[/QUOTE

ymmv- your memory may vary. Bob Hebblewhite and Brian Hartung. The car was not a Crown Vic but it was the 70's equivalent. ASIK, it was a 1978 Dodge Monaco with a 440CID engine, ex-Michigan DNR. They used it for a couple of years and moved on to a Beetle- sort of. The Beetle had a mid-mounted Ford Pinto engine.
After Dave Parps and I crewed for the BMW 2002, we then crewed for Mike Sprite/Mike Gregels in a Triumph TR250. When open-topped cars were banned, Mike/Mike moved on to a Pinto. Lenny Putz of Cleveland also rallied a Pinto. Actually, in the late 70's early 80's, Pinots were pretty popular.
Let's not forget Car & Driver and the Cosworth Vega. Rally Vegas were around but less popular than the Pintos.
Nor should we forget Jimmy's favorite- the Corvette Sting-Ray (C3).

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
There was a factory Prius that ran in Canada ~10 years ago.

I've done a few TSDs/regularity rallies in Priuses too.

Wouldn't that more correctly be called an "Importer supported" Priapus rather than "Factory"--especially considering Toyota never did do "factory cars"--TTE was Ove Andersson's deal in the way Prodrive was Dave Richard's or M-sport is Malcolm Wilson's business.

Do you really think that Toyota "factory' would have had the mad Pole involved?

Shirley you can't be serious.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There was a yellow Alfa Romeo GTV6 rallied at Ojibwe a few years ago.
The AMC Eagle Kammback better known as a 4wd AMC Gremlin was Rallied at the 1983 Northern Lights rally.
At STPR around 1998 there was a display with a 1960's Ford Falcon that had competed in a long distance rally.
Something like London to Sidney and won.
Don Rathbarger the Snow Drift Organizer has rallied Mustang and a Mustang II.

Fun Topic.

Steve
Aha! I knew there had to be a Mustang II rally car out there somewhere.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts

ymmv

press on,[/QUOTE

ymmv- your memory may vary. Bob Hebblewhite and ? The other name I don't remember. The car was not a Crown Vic but it was the 70's equivalent. ASIK, it was a 1978 Dodge Monaco with a 440CID engine, ex-Michigan DNR. They used it for a couple of years.....

Nor Jimmy's favorite- the Corvette Sting-Ray (C3).

Someone rallied the Bluesmobile!!! I would rock that car from coast to coast!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Aha! I knew there had to be a Mustang II rally car out there somewhere.
Sorry: Don never ran a Mustang II, pretty sure it was a 69, 79, 89

The 79 ran with a turbo 4 for a little while, but switched to V8. The 89 was built after the 79 found a big tree backend first at Ojibwe.

I think the 69 has been scapped, but lived for a long while after the 79 was employeed (the team ran both the 69 & 79 at several events), the 79 was scrapped after the Ojibwe incident, and the 89 is alive and well.

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Before 1973, any and every thing was rallied. Sasha Lanz, who is on the SCCA Road Rally Board, rallied a DKW at the Big Bend Bash.

After 1973, roll bars started being required and the diversity of car got slightly smaller. Ken Steart of Grove Oklahoma built an AMC Pacer rally car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I might be more fun to list the odd ball cars that have been rallied.

I will start - The guys that infected me with the rally bug ran a Shortened 69 Olds Toranado with a 454 Racing engine.
It had a GMC van grill, Vega Hatchback, the exhaust ran up and over the roof and it had something like 11 Marchall rally lights on it.
Very cool!

Steve

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
My first rally car was a 1970 Datsun 1600 roadster. We made a steel top for it and off to the races..well Olympus 1983 anyway.

Gene McCullough
Olympus co-chairman

·
Spectator Wrangler
831 Posts
Someone rallied the Bluesmobile!!! I would rock that car from coast to coast!
Unfortunately no. The Bluesmobile was a 75 ( or so) full size Mopar. Bob's was the downsized version. I checked other sources and found out that the 78 contract for the Michigan State Police went to the Plymouth division- Plymouth Fury. The DNR used the same contract for patrol cars so Bob really rallied a Fury not a Monaco. Checking RRN, I found that Bob's car was indeed a Fury.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I might be more fun to list the odd ball cars that have been rallied.

I will start - The guys that infected me with the rally bug ran a Shortened 69 Olds Toranado with a 454 Racing engine.
It had a GMC van grill, Vega Hatchback, the exhaust ran up and over the roof and it had something like 11 Marchall rally lights on it.
Very cool!

Steve
The Buzzard brothers.

Bob Lyle ran some kind of AMC short wheelbase model, don't know which one it was, probably a Pacer, not a Gremlin.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts