Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new helmet that comes with the HANS posts/studs already in the helmet from the factory. I have tried to figure this out from the FIA site. The WRC guys are already using these, so obviously they exist.

I don't care about make. I do want a full face. I do want the largest eye opening possible.

Suggestions as to where to find this? TIA.

As an aside, how often do the BSI and SFI specs change (versus the 5 year changes for Snell). And yes, SA95 runs out for NASA and CARS at year end 2005, but not until year end 2006 for RA.

press on,

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
Jimmy,

According to some folks in Sweden, the Peltor full face helmet is now available with HANS posts from the factory. Whether this actually means that this helmet can be purchased in the US is anyone's guess.

Call Pete, I guess. Or Demon-Tweeks.

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Yup. Demon Tweeks sells the Peltor full face with the posts built in. I bought the Sparco full face and I seem to think there was an option to get it with the posts built in. I was between both and went with the Sparco for some reason. I think I liked the visor and the size of the opening looked larger. Both have Peltor intercoms built in which is a huge plus in my opinion.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Along the same lines, I'm going to be getting the carbon Peltor for the upcoming season. I eventually want to get a HANS but the cash isn't probably going to be available for the actual device until later this year.

Basically I'm trying to decide whether to get the regular Peltor or the one with pre-drilled posts. Is it safe / easy to get posts installed after buying the helmet? Is it something you could DIY or would you need a shop to do it? (I would imagine a shop would need to do it safely but I could be wrong) Also, I've never seen the Peltor with the HANS posts built in but I assume you could still race without the actual HANS device? i.e. there aren't two big screws sticking out of the helmet, just a few bolts.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
>Basically I'm trying to decide whether to get the regular
>Peltor or the one with pre-drilled posts. Is it safe / easy
>to get posts installed after buying the helmet? Is it
>something you could DIY or would you need a shop to do it? (I
>would imagine a shop would need to do it safely but I could be
>wrong) Also, I've never seen the Peltor with the HANS posts
>built in but I assume you could still race without the actual
>HANS device? i.e. there aren't two big screws sticking out of
>the helmet, just a few bolts.

I have the same issue/question. I'm speaking to Pete about a G7 or G77, but now wondering if I should get the HANS posts "just in case" I decide to get a HANS device.

My trusty Bell Mag 5 lasted 9 years, no major incidents or issues.

·
Registered
724 Posts
All Peltor, Stilo, and Sparco helmets are available with HANS posted pre-installed in them. SO take your pick and get whichever one works with your intercom system. All can be purchased through Demon-tweeks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Here is the list of full face "rally style" (ie with peak instead of visor) helmets with intercom fitted that I know of

Sparco Rally Plus
Sparco WTT TK Rally (just been released - info but no picture on the Demon Tweaks site)
Peltor (can't remember the model)
Stilo SR3 (Stilo do make an adaptor piece so as it can be used with a Peltor amplifier)
All are available with HANS posts fitted
I've may have forgotten one other too

If you were considering gettiing a HANS device then I would definently get a helmet with factory fitted HANS posts, as FIA and scrutineers outside the U.S. tend to lose their sense of humour if you turn up with a helmet that has HANS posts installed by anyone other than the factory at the time of manufacture - when the factory does it they attach a specific silver sticker from FIA. I think it would be a good idea if buying a helmet now to get one with HANS posts fitted as I seem to recall reading a RA bulletin about the possibility of them (or similar) becoming mandatory in the future.

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>I have the same issue/question. I'm speaking to Pete about a
>G7 or G77, but now wondering if I should get the HANS posts
>"just in case" I decide to get a HANS device.

I would definatly get the helmet with the HANS posts already installed. Even if you don't use the HANS, they are small and unobtrusive. Nothing beats having something factory designed and installed.

Beyond that, if you decide to add the posts afterwards, I'd send it in to the HANS guys for post installation. All it costs is shipping and a few weeks, and that way you know it's done right. Besides, I just couln't bring myself to drill a hole in a $450 helmet! :)

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
689 Posts
I had my fabricator install my anchors , the directions from HANS mentioned carefull measuring.....I figured this eliminated 99.9% of all drivers. It was a straight forward install and even though I watched it done, on my Snell 05 Helmet I will have him do the same. (something about ADD and careful measuring makes me think I shouldn't be drilling into the new helmet)

Tom

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What Kent mentions is exactly why I was asking for factory installed studs.

Some of you asked whether you CAN install these yourself. Yes (I did this on my current helmet). The question is whether you will ever want to use your helmet where it is inspected to FIA specs by an FIA inspector. If you did it yourself, you most likely will not pass. If you are running RA/NASA/CARS you will pass.

Sending it to your HANS dealer will NOT (I believe) meet FIA specs.

I am working with Pete to get me a new Peltor.

If you are buying a helmet now, that you intend to keep a while, I would certainly recommend you get the studs now (even if you are not currently using a HANS).

ymmv

press on,

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>I am working with Pete to get me a new Peltor.
>
>If you are buying a helmet now, that you intend to keep a
>while, I would certainly recommend you get the studs now (even
>if you are not currently using a HANS).

Jimmy:

Please let us know how it works out buying a new Peltor with the intercom installed and the HANS studs installed.

This is basically what I want to buy.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
724 Posts
FYI from the mouth of the woman at Stand 21 so take it for what it is worth but I have bought 4 custom suits from here she told me that the helmet could not be retro-fitted with an intercom. I know that it was the helmet that Loeb used before the Stilo deal but she told me that it was a no no. Just what she told me.

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Ummm, why? Aren't you too old (or failing that, too smart) to be found in a rally car anymore?

Kent Gardam

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>Ummm, why? Aren't you too old (or failing that, too smart)
>to be found in a rally car anymore?

Kent:

Yes. That's why I enter Pro Picks. :)

Helmet is for the next generation, my daughter Catherine.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
135 Posts
Please be aware with the FIA List #29, that it is often not up to date unfortunately:( There are usually a few new helmets that are HANS approved that haven't made the list, so don't be concerned if the helmet that you are considering isn't on there if it is a new model from the manufacturer - look for the FIA HANS sticker on the helmet as shown in the list.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts