Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
not meaning to be picky but, "The France-native fought against thick dust" would sound better as, "a native of France" or "a French native".
otherwise an entertaining read.
rz

·
slow is slow....
792 Posts
>What time zone is Curtis Kitchen in?

I don't know Mr. Kitchen...but, based on his comments from Oregon Trail he appears be in a different time zone and a different sport!

"Though the class win for Verdier/Walker was impressive, the bigger news may have been out of Group 5, where cagey veteran Doug Shepherd wore down a multitude of tires driving his 2004 Dodge SRT-4, but found enough rubber over the weekend to still finish over two minutes ahead of the Group 5 2001 Volkswagen Golf driven by silver-finisher Chris Havas, with co-driver Dave Keane, and, more importantly, finish one spot above the higher-horsepower Verdier entry in the overall standings."

Did he just say a PGT car has higher horsepower than a factory backed Group 5 car? Yeah right....if the Dodge was running on two cylinders!

People come up with all sorts excuses for getting beat by a 3000 lb pig with 160 wheel hp!

Andrew Sutherland
UniversalRally.com

·
Registered
452 Posts
And don't forget that according to Curtis, Production doesn't exist. Wouldn't have killed him to mention the two P cars, at least.

At OTPR, he mentioned the club guys in other classes, but failed to see the Pro or Club Production cars at Rim, when there was at least 8 or 9 cars?

Is Press Release space that expensive? I know, I know, Mad Mike has already explained the theory of Production, the under-class of the sport...

Mark Tabor
www.taborrallyteam.com

·
Registered
154 Posts
>Did he just say a PGT car has higher horsepower than a
>factory backed Group 5 car? Yeah right....if the Dodge was
>running on two cylinders!

Cutis changed that a couple days after OTPR.

>People come up with all sorts excuses for getting beat by a
>3000 lb pig with 160 wheel hp!

Actually the car weighs 3224lb(at RIM) dry.

Lets all be easy on Curtis!

·
Registered
901 Posts
"Be easy on Curtis" was suggested.

Isn't his position a paid position in the club that we all paid dues to be a part of, and therefore doesn't he work for us?

If you didn't do your job at work, or a half-assed job, would you expect your boss to "go easy" on you?

Seriously, though. My brother tells me that he spoke with Curtis several times over the course of the weekend, and with Garrett a lot. (Edit: What I mean is that it's not like Curtis didn't know there was any cars in the Pro Production class there because Mark and Kevin both said "hi" to him several times while standing with the Acura (or sitting in it) and he said "hi" back.) It's not like Curtis didn't have any info about Production, but I'm thinking that because nothing about Production came across the updates by Rally America... oops, did I just type that? :) Darn that inner monologue! :)

Mark's right, SCCA wishes Production would fade away, so they say the bare minimum, if that, in any press releases. And don't say it's Mark's job as a competitor to get info to Curtis, because Mark's job as a PRORALLY COMPETITOR is to be a PRORALLY COMPETITOR.

:) KT

·
Registered
183 Posts
>"Though the class win for Verdier/Walker was impressive, the
>bigger news may have been out of Group 5, where cagey
>veteran Doug Shepherd wore down a multitude of tires driving
>his 2004 Dodge SRT-4, but found enough rubber over the
>weekend to still finish over two minutes ahead of the Group
>5 2001 Volkswagen Golf driven by silver-finisher Chris
>Havas, with co-driver Dave Keane, and, more importantly,
>finish one spot above the higher-horsepower Verdier entry in
>the overall standings."

I think a much bigger issue here is the horrible grammar ;) Would it hurt to use a period every once in a while? Sheesh.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I agree, Production should be mentioned.
Mark was hauling A$$ in the RSX.

On a lighter note..... You guys(Tabor's)
are super cool. Thank you for letting us
use WRX headlights at OTPR for Stephen V's car.
That was AWESOME!!!
-Amar
:D

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I walked into the barn at the fairgrounds after everyone else was loading up or had moved on to a party somewhere. There was Curtis bleary eyed after a sunsoaked weekend banging on a laptop to get SOMETHING out to the press IMMEDIATELY after the event. As Rim (and Oregon) is on the west coast, they need to get stuff out early for shows and press back east (3 hours later).

As I was driving home from the shop a few Sunday nights ago, I heard the "news from the Oregon Trail ProRally" on Speedfreaks, a nationally syndicated motorsport radio show (90 markets). And not just the winners, but a nice rundown of Seamus' problems and other key contenders. This was at 11pm in Detroit. 8pm in Oregon. Just 2 hours after scores were finalized. I spoke to some of the guys from Speedfreaks at Rim and they explained how happy they were to get TIMELY PR and that "a press release on Tuesday ain't news!" and won't get on the air as such.

So as you are on your 3rd brown ale, Curtis is likely still sitting alone somewhere trying to get SOMETHING out. If it doesn't have perfect grammar, punctuation or even get all the details perfect, I ain't gonna bitch. And if you think the grammar is bad now, wait until the jock on the radio or Speednews or whoever butchers it. At least the story is there. RARELY did press releases (besides our own) or TV get the details of my rallies right. I figure if my car or Mazda gets airtime its better than nothing (I do sometimes send a polite letter to set the story straight, though). Usually the incorrect details are because I didn't provide a short concise account of my story to him. And I don't expect him to track me down in the bar to get the story right.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
>So as you are on your 3rd brown ale, Curtis is likely still
>sitting alone somewhere trying to get SOMETHING out.

Sorry, but that IS his job that he's getting PAID for. No pity from me (besides the fact that I don't drink ;) ).

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
If your day job was under the microscope of a thousand or so disgruntled people you were trying to do a service for, all with their own agendas, I wonder what your approval rating would be.

I'm just glad I have only one boss.

·
Banned
183 Posts
>If your day job was under the microscope of a thousand or so
>disgruntled people you were trying to do a service for, all
>with their own agendas, I wonder what your approval rating
>would be.
>
>I'm just glad I have only one boss.

Sounds like most jobs that I've ever had! If your job doesn't have you dealing with the general public, consider yourself lucky! But, with any job, you should always do your best for the people who fund your paycheck. In case your wondering, the customer is the one who funds your paycheck, not your boss! Curtis has an obligation to the SCCA members, not his boss.

I'm not saying he's not putting forth a good effort, but as with most things in life there is room for improvement. I do see press releases much quicker than before, which is a definate plus!!!!

Just my .02
:)

Rob

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, I sent him an email about that. Here's his reply:

"Jon,

You are correct, it was simply an oversight on my part. If you look at my past releases, for the most part, I have tried to make sure that every competing class is mentioned every time.

I did not purposely intend to miss Production. I had the chance to meet Mark and Kevin earlier this year and have watched their pursuit of the Donison Cup with interest. I definitely want to include others in watching their efforts, and I will take steps to make sure the P class has a mention in future releases.

Thanks for your input.

Curt K."

Seems like an OK guy, though I haven't met him. I probably was a bit strong worded when I emailed him, but hey, he took it gracefully.

Jon

·
Registered
51 Posts
I will agree, sis, with many of your points. Specifically the one about Rally-America not mentioning the Production classes at all. If it weren't for the stage times they put up, I would have to assume that brother Mark and any other competitor in Production have fallen off the face of the rally, and are waiting to be extracted from the scenery, or indeed never even started.

As a former Production class competitor, I'm a bit annoyed by the continual lack of coverage of a class that (a) most people should start in, really; (b) is the least expensive to build a car for; and (c) pays the same dollars to enter, has the same sponsorship commitments, and deserves the same coverage of the sexier classes.

However, as a former Production class competitor, I'm not expecting the situation to change. Ever.

Call me cynical.

Also, though, it's not a bad idea for a team to make an effort to be mentioned. I've noticed that for OTPR and Rim, Paul Eklund, et al, have presented Rally-America with forms that state how things were on stage. Not a bad way for some shameless self-promotion.

As an aside, did anyone else read Curtis Kitchen and think "someone's in the Kitchen with Curtis, someone's in the Kitchen I know-oh-oh"

Or perhaps we're "all up in Curtis' Kitchen, y0"

Jon

·
Registered
768 Posts
- Give him some slack, guys & gals.....
- At least we got SOMETHING! Before we had NOTHING....

- Wanna be mentioned by him for sure? DRIVE FASTER AND WIN - That'll do the trick...

- I enjoy his reporting. It's better than maddening Rally America's.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I don't expect Curtis to get every story from every competitor and I'll also admit, short of Al Kintigh coming over to check on the new Cool Shirts (they rock, btw), I wouldn't have known that Rally America was there.

BUT! That's mostly due to the geography of the fairgrounds. We were not in a convienent location in proximity to the RA truck. Plus, given the fact that the rally ran on time and had no delays for us to wonder around (WHICH IS A GOOD THING!!!), it was simply not a priority for us to search them out.

BUT AGAIN! Curtis, in my no-good opinion, should summarize each Pro class with a paragraph, even if he is just mentioning the results of that class. Mentioning club guys like at Oregon is simply a bonus, as a former and current club competitor, I respect that.

We saw Curtis enough for him to know we were there. Hell, it's tough to NOT know we are somewhere, as we travel en mass, with a BIG truck (relatively speaking).

I don't think that SCCA wants Production to go away, but let's face it: It ain't what packs the stands (or forests).

I'm not angry, just dissapointed...

Mark Tabor
www.taborrallyteam.com

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
>Did he just say a PGT car has higher horsepower than a
>factory backed Group 5 car? Yeah right....if the Dodge was
>running on two cylinders!

Hmm my non factory backed Gp2 car makes more Wheel HP than the reported 160 for PGT cars... and at DooWops it was 2400 LBS full Fuel and all spares on board...

I guess I just suck... well mabey not - I did beat all the PGT cars.

DKB

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Well, I think you have a right to be disappointed. And I think you should hold Curtis to his reply (about mentioning P in the future).

By the way, the best way to do that is to jot something down and give it to him. And Rally America. While they come around with a pad and paper, they just can't be everywhere all the time. They are happy to accept notes about what is going on. The press room (or RA Truck) is where you take your stories and try to get them included. You don't need a team press officer/liason, just run down what happened with your a member of your crew and have him jot a paragraph down and take it over after your tires are changed and you are on your way to the next service.

Lots of times they are begging for stories and the good ones get missed because nobody knows about them until a week after the rally. Don't be shy. Just fill them in with quick notes.

Good luck. The RSX looks good.

Eric

·
Registered
452 Posts
>By the way, the best way to do that is to jot something down
>and give it to him. And Rally America. While they come
>around with a pad and paper, they just can't be everywhere

I totally agree. For during-rally notes about what is going on, there is no better source than RA.

>all the time. They are happy to accept notes about what is
>going on. The press room (or RA Truck) is where you take
>your stories and try to get them included. You don't need a
>team press officer/liason, just run down what happened with

Again, totally agree. We very easily could have sent down one of the crew with the story. At Oregon Trail, the RA people stood in the regrouping control and literally talked to everyone. I know that is not possible with no regrouping control, but it did make them available to the competitors. It was a nice luxury.

>Lots of times they are begging for stories and the good ones
>get missed because nobody knows about them until a week
>after the rally. Don't be shy. Just fill them in with
>quick notes.

Very true. I remember back when there was 'just' a press room and the stories that made it there, made it to the press release. We have come a long way.

And since when have Tabor's been shy?

>Good luck. The RSX looks good.

Thanks. Can't wait to push it a bit later this year.

Mark

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.