Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
L6 500 R6
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At laughlin I noticed that many of the g2/5 and open cars had no heater despite the low temp and fogging windows. Is this for weight? space? or am I missing something?

Im stripping the car and am looking at the heater wondering if there is any reason I shouldnt put it back in the car. Maybe modified just for defogging or should I put in electric (cant afford the 1500.00 heated windsield).

·
Registered
204 Posts
KEEP THE HEATER!!!!! It will not only be essential for any snow rallies, but be a must have for any rally where it rains. Also, if (and when) your car starts to overheat in a rally, you will be able to get rid of some heat with the heater.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've never tried Fog-X, but I suspect like Rain-X there are times that it works great and times that it doesn't. You don't run a car without windshield wipers, and you shouldn't run a car without a defroster. Also, Fog-X won't help you a bit when the electric fan dies midway through a rally and your engine is running at 250 degrees. Our heater got us through Headwaters last year.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The outfit that installed our rollcage for a previous owner accidently cut the heater wires with their holesaw. The car was never rallied in cold weather, so we weren't aware of the problem until we entered the Sno*Drift as our first rally ? with no heater or defroster. Trust me, you don?t want to be attempting to wipe the windows at speed when you?re strapped in with non-inertia reel restraint belts. Leave the heater in and save weight somewhere else.

·
Registered
483 Posts
no one has addressed the electric issue... Is thi a viable option? I found several 12v heater/defrosters in the JCWhitney catalogue. I know it wont address the addition engine cooling aspect of the stock heater, but does anyone have any experience with the functioning of these small electric heaters?

Matt Lovell
(Rally7's co-driver)

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Pete Morris (building "Son of CoROLLa.) When I did Laughlin in '99, my Corolla had no heater. We had no problems with the windscreen freezing and had no problem with visibility either. It was cool inside the car! By the way, racing boots are warm. I helped push my car and others up the hill on the way back in deep snow and not once did my feet get cold, even though the boots were damp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts