>>Rally America, Inc. has also offered unprecedented support and
>>organizational resources to the program. Rally America will be able
>>to assist with legal challenges such as road permissions if needed,
>>provide timing and scoring equipment and assist with promoting the
>>event through their web site and live satellite links the day of
>>the event.
>>...
>>>While Ms. Burton will be bringing years of experience
>>and the resources of Rally America to the committee ...

But I thought Bruce said in another thread that Rally-America wasn't in a position to support ClubRally?

Reminds me of how SCCA tried to retaliate against Rim a year ago when Rim decided to go "club-only".

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
Retaliation

>Were the SCCA's actions last year regarding
>Rim really a retaliation?

After Rim's announcement, SCCA called Prescott, which they'd unceremoniously dumped from the 2002 ProRally calendar without warning or justification (Prescott STILL hasn't received anything official on that one, though it had been promised several times), and told Prescott they were once again on the Pro calendar, and oh by the way, we'd like you to run it on Rim's traditional date. Prescott declined.

Sounds retaliatory to me, but maybe I'm overly sensitive these days.

[hr]

John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
1,385 Posts
RE: Retaliation

>Local competitors would have gotten more events, so I can
>see how THAT's a problem, god knows we don't want more
>events.

5 Local events before Rim's letter: Rim, Gorman, Treeline, Prescott, Ramada Express.
5 Local events after Rim's letter: Rim, Gorman, Treeline, Prescott, Ramada Express.
4 Local events if SCCA replaced Rim with Prescott: Prescott, Gorman, Treeline, Ramada Express.

Sounds like the math goes the other way. If the SCCA replaced Rim with Prescott, then that helps the Pro boys, but then the local boys lost Rim (two events, actually). Even if Rim could reschedule, it wouldn't add an event to the local calendar, just shuffle things around. And why ask them to change their date? Why not give them the November date that was announced at Prescott 2001 awards (even though the SCCA had already decided to drop it from the calendar)? To try and take away Rim's traditional date sounded retaliatory to me, not in the best interest of the sport, though it would help SCCA try to save some face for losing two pro events in one year.

[hr]
edit: included count.

·
1,385 Posts
Clarification

Morgan:

You make a reasonable assumption, but at the risk of being silenced forever, NASA was indeed a factor in the deliberations of June 22nd.

http://www.rivergate5speed.com/scca/notes03.html reads: The NASA event was discussed, but there was no vote necessary because there are no plans to use any CRSCCA equipment for the event.

[hr]

[p align=right]Informed decisions come from informed participants.
To control their thoughts, control their information.

·
1,385 Posts
Revenge

>retaliatory:to return like for like;
>especially : to get revenge

Thanks, Morgan, for the clarification.... I think you nailed it on the head by pointing out that revenge relates to retaliation, e.g., SCCA tried to get revenge: "You took away 'our' ProRally, we'll give your ClubRally date to someone else." Rephrased, "You took 'our' money, we'll take your money."

But it's all in the past, and happily it all worked out.

I think the original point of the posting is that the SCCA is still the "secret car club of America" not only to outsiders but even to its own membership, hence the "What's this rally?" question.

[hr]

John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
1,385 Posts
HoD has big backing

>As for HoD, what are you talking about? I've only heard
>about people coming out of the woodwork to get this rally
>off the ground.

Quote: The rally already has the backing of the Air Force reserves, Mitsubishi and Subaru.

And we're happy to hear that Mitsu, Subie, and AFReserve are all stepping up big time to make a new event happen. Will they be extending this support to long-time organizers as well? (To be fair, Subaru Western Region--not Subaru of America, to my knowledge--have given TREMEMDOUS support out here on the left coast, and Mitsu paid for the pizza party in Maine.) It seems to me if they'd offered this support to the existing organizers around the country, they wouldn't be in this position.

Quote: Rally America, Inc. has also offered unprecedented support and organizational resources to the program. Rally America will be able to assist with legal challenges such as road permissions ...

And what's this about legal challenges?

[hr]

John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.