Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the latest Fastrack, October, there is the mention of observing the "Heart of Dixie Rally on November 1st" to be elevated to National status?

Is this a rally?

Where, when, who, etc?

I don't see it listed on SCCA.org or anywhere else.

Just wondering.

Brian Scott

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
RE: Heart of Dixie SCCA Pro rally? Read all the minutes

If you read thru the minutes of the meeting, there's alot of incompelete notes that don't seem to make sense. IMHO, someone needs to take better notes (if they're going to be published for the public/non PRB use). There's plenty of other stuff printed for the other areas of the SCCA so it can't (or shouldn't be) because of space considerations. Once again, we the paying members don't get a good handle on what's happening. As I said to Steve Johnson, communication, communication, communication.

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
RE: Heart of Dixie SCCA Pro rally? Read all the minutes

Hi Don,

Sorry, I'll attempt to take more comprehensive minutes of the PRB sessions in the future. I apologize for the perceived inadequacy in the previously posted minutes.

In the meantime, if you ever have questions on the minutes, you can always contact me (or any other PRB member) directly.

My email is in my profile.

Warm regards,
- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
Co-Driver

·
Registered
265 Posts
RE: Heart of Dixie SCCA Pro rally

What a load of chicken manure! The HoD was one of the better known ROAD Rallies on the SCCA National Circuit in the 1970s, held out of Huntsville, Alabama. Naming a ClubRally after that fine event would be nothing short of blasphemy!

·
Big Jump 800
716 Posts

Jeez Timmy! I thought it was nice of the committee to resurrect the name of one of the great American rallys Road, Performance or otherwise.

Now all the great stories about the HoD parties will come back to haunt the guilty!

J.B. Niday
www.nidayrallysport.com

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

>What a load of chicken manure! The HoD was one of the
>better known ROAD Rallies on the SCCA National Circuit in
>the 1970s, held out of Huntsville, Alabama. Naming a
>ClubRally after that fine event would be nothing short of
>blasphemy!

In fact, the Tennessee Valley Region - who ran the legendary HOD - was asked if they minded their name being used for the rally, and they replied that they'd be "proud and honored" to lend their name to this new rally.

Bruce

·
Registered
142 Posts

The RE of the Tennessee Valley Region in Huntsville, Richard Crowell, (RE for Life!) is actually a member of the Organizing Committee for the new Heart Of Dixie.

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,632 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I'm still a little fuzzy on this whole issue:

- All the links above are to a local SEDIV site. That's fine, but this is the first I've even heard of this rally.

- Now it's going to be a National in 2004? So it has to be run as a Club in 2003. Seems that this whole rally was kicked off in June of this year?

I dunno, to me it seems like there may be some Pro Rally scheduling changes that are forcing another event to the schedule? Or an alternative to NASA in the SEDIV was wanted by the SCCA?????

I just wish they'd leave this rally at a Club-only event and forget the whole Pro mess.

Brian

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
>
>I dunno, to me it seems like there may be some Pro Rally
>scheduling changes that are forcing another event to the
>schedule? Or an alternative to NASA in the SEDIV was wanted
>by the SCCA?????
>

I believe that they were looking to fill the big gap between Sno Drift and Rim. It is very unlikely they knew about next years schedule or NASA when the planning started

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
>>The rally already has the backing of the Air Force reserves,
>>Mitsubishi and Subaru.

Follow the money...

>>Rally America, Inc. has also offered unprecedented support and
>>organizational resources to the program. Rally America will be able
>>to assist with legal challenges such as road permissions if needed,
>>provide timing and scoring equipment and assist with promoting the
>>event through their web site and live satellite links the day of
>>the event.
>>...
>>>While Ms. Burton will be bringing years of experience
>>and the resources of Rally America to the committee ...

But I thought Bruce said in another thread that Rally-America wasn't in a position to support ClubRally?

Reminds me of how SCCA tried to retaliate against Rim a year ago when Rim decided to go "club-only".

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Banned
183 Posts
They observed Rally New York last year. That has not become a prorally yet. Doesn't mean it will become a prorally, just being looked at.

Rob

·
Registered
483 Posts
It seems that the entire goal is to have this be 'prorally', so RA supporting the 2003 club version is just to assist with a formality for it to become a 'pro' event. it seems like a forgone conclusion that this event will be a pro event next year (at least from reading the SEdiv website).

Where the SCCA's actions last year regarding Rim really a retailation? If so, the 'Public Relations' team finally did a good job and kept the average joe out of the loop on that one...

·
1,385 Posts
Retaliation

>Were the SCCA's actions last year regarding
>Rim really a retaliation?

After Rim's announcement, SCCA called Prescott, which they'd unceremoniously dumped from the 2002 ProRally calendar without warning or justification (Prescott STILL hasn't received anything official on that one, though it had been promised several times), and told Prescott they were once again on the Pro calendar, and oh by the way, we'd like you to run it on Rim's traditional date. Prescott declined.

Sounds retaliatory to me, but maybe I'm overly sensitive these days.

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
>But I thought Bruce said in another thread that
>Rally-America wasn't in a position to support ClubRally?
>

Bruce did indeed say that. However, Bruce also isn't in a position to make management decisions for Rally America. :) This particular rally has a goal of becoming a part of the ProRally series in a short time frame. It seems appropriate that we assist in this effort.

Bruce

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
>>But I thought Bruce said in another thread that
>>Rally-America wasn't in a position to support ClubRally?
>>
>
>Bruce did indeed say that. However, Bruce also isn't in a
>position to make management decisions for Rally America. :)
> This particular rally has a goal of becoming a part of the
>ProRally series in a short time frame. It seems appropriate
>that we assist in this effort.
>
>Bruce
But Bruce will help almost anyone with ClubRally. If you have an organizational question, he will give you his best answer.
Richard

·
Big Jump 800
716 Posts
RE: Retaliation

Retailiation? You're kidding, of course.

Assuming for a moment that your statements about Prescott are true, then how would adding that event back, after Rim pulled out of the ProRally Series, have been retaliation? Rim was already pulling out, so how were they damaged? Local competitors would have gotten more events, so I can see how THAT's a problem, god knows we don't want more events.

J.B. Niday
www.nidayrallysport.com

·
1,385 Posts
RE: Retaliation

>Local competitors would have gotten more events, so I can
>see how THAT's a problem, god knows we don't want more
>events.

5 Local events before Rim's letter: Rim, Gorman, Treeline, Prescott, Ramada Express.
5 Local events after Rim's letter: Rim, Gorman, Treeline, Prescott, Ramada Express.
4 Local events if SCCA replaced Rim with Prescott: Prescott, Gorman, Treeline, Ramada Express.

Sounds like the math goes the other way. If the SCCA replaced Rim with Prescott, then that helps the Pro boys, but then the local boys lost Rim (two events, actually). Even if Rim could reschedule, it wouldn't add an event to the local calendar, just shuffle things around. And why ask them to change their date? Why not give them the November date that was announced at Prescott 2001 awards (even though the SCCA had already decided to drop it from the calendar)? To try and take away Rim's traditional date sounded retaliatory to me, not in the best interest of the sport, though it would help SCCA try to save some face for losing two pro events in one year.

[hr]
edit: included count.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts