Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the SE where we don't get much of this "rally" action, so I was really happy when I heard about Cherokee Trails. I was then really sad when it was cancelled. I was then really happy when I heard about Heart of Dixie. The problem is it is supposed to take place in November (a month and a half) and there is NO information posted on it. Just a tentative date planned. Am I looking in the wrong place? I would like to volunteer, take pictures, cheer, anything, but I can't find any information. I figured a plea for help on this board would be the most appropriate.

James Bond
 

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
Joined
·
1,633 Posts
>I live in the SE where we don't get much of this "rally"
>action, so I was really happy when I heard about Cherokee
>Trails. I was then really sad when it was cancelled. I was
>then really happy when I heard about Heart of Dixie. The
>problem is it is supposed to take place in November (a month
>and a half) and there is NO information posted on it. Just
>a tentative date planned. Am I looking in the wrong place?
>I would like to volunteer, take pictures, cheer, anything,
>but I can't find any information. I figured a plea for help
>on this board would be the most appropriate.
>
>James Bond

James:

You may want to contact Mike Strawbridge, SE-DIV rally steward at [email protected] or Beryl-Ann Burton of Rally America (I don't have her e-mail, but check www.rally-america.com), who are the heads of the HoD committee. They may be able to give you more information on volunteering, etc.

The Chattanooga Region has a rallysprint scheduled on October 25 in Resaca, Georgia (www.rivergate5speed.com), so there is action scheduled for the Southeast this fall.

Regards,

Wilson
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Our representative met with the owners of the roads planned for Heart
of Dixie ClubRally today. They "suggested" we delay the ClubRally until March 6, 2004. So, delayed it is. Over 50 inches of rain have cut up the roads and they will require repairs before they will be suitable for use for rally. A creek crossing will require work too. We plan to offer assistance in some upgrades.

We are working on a RallySprint to help fill the void.

Mike Strawbridge
co chair Heart of Dixie Rally Committee
 

·
just another old phart
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
Won't this increase the difficulty of having it on the Pro calendar in 2004?

Kent Gardam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Brian, why not the BMW again?

When are you going to try out the Spokes event in Nashville? (See Mike for info).

Mike, "...We plan to offer assistance in some upgrades...", let me know when you plan on this 'assistance', we might be able to come up and help out (or might not, but let us know anyway)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
>Brian, why not the BMW again?
>

2 attempts at Sandhills in the ol' Bimmer has produced the following results:

6 times buried in the sand, waiting on a tow (the last time was WITHIN SITE of the finish of the final stage, 9.5 minutes before someone pulled us free!!!)

4 broken shock mounts

2 overheated, pinged and subsequently blown engines

280 lb. of sand in the passenger compartment (no, seriously. ask the guys I had to borrow the shovel from to empty it all out in service, thanks Carlos! It was up 3/4 of the way to the back window, and the tail of the car was dragging on EVERYTHING!)

2 cracked upper strut towers

1 broken shock bolt

I still have sand in my Nomex!!!

In short, not real sure the Bimmer is made for the beach. Mike has been working on a Cherokee with sufficient ground clearance and speed to be a real threat if we can keep the sucker upright. Just don't know if I can weasel my way into the driver's seat!

The Bimmer stands ready for the next dirt, gravel, or tarmac rally.

By the way, when's the next spokes event?

Brian Flanagan
Jeep Weaseler
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Next Spokes event = Spring 2004

www.tennessee-spokes.org

Figured I might do some good with Mike not attending the last event, but this time around it was a BMW (535 ?) that did me in.

Mike might let you ride, but I don't thing ANYONE is going to voluntarily let you drive after your Cherokee performance at the Summer Shootout RallyCross.

Unfortunately I didn't get a picture, but I did get the visual memory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
>
>Mike might let you ride, but I don't thing ANYONE is going
>to voluntarily let you drive after your Cherokee performance
>at the Summer Shootout RallyCross.
>
>Unfortunately I didn't get a picture, but I did get the
>visual memory.

Errrr... you saw that, huh? I was kinda hoping everyone might just forget...:p

For the record, I didn't even go over far enough to get the door handles dirty, fer chrissakes, and the 2 full grown, non-car-enthusiast ladies I was giving a ride to thought it was amusing and done on purpose.

I did the same thing ON PAVEMENT in the BMW back when it was an autocross car on super-sticky Hoosiers, up in Peru, Indiana at an SCCA National Tour event, just ask Trey Commander. He was working the inside of the corner, and was kind enough to point out an exhaust leak he spotted whilst studying the Bimmer at a 45 degree angle. So it's not exclusive to Cherokees, I seem to have a unique talent for bicycling. Just call me "Chitwood"!:+

Brian Flanagan's spectacular stunt show and thrill rides!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
"...BMW (535 ?)..."

Shows how much I know about Bimmers. It was a BMW 325.

"...Errrr... you saw that, huh?..."

From about 15 yards away, from the front. KVT was only about 5 yards since he was working that corner and got a real good look at the underside.

"...the 2 full grown, non-car-enthusiast ladies I was giving a ride to thought it was amusing and done on purpose..."

Amusement was not the look I saw on their faces when you came around the next corner (on all 4s)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
>
>Amusement was not the look I saw on their faces when you
>came around the next corner (on all 4s)

Amusement... Abject horror... what's the difference, really?
;)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top