Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
The stage roads were fun and the people of Minnesota were friendly as always.

We broke a rear driveshaft on stage 1, so we ended-up limping through the first 3 stages. Dave Clark installed a new driveshaft at service and we tied Piotr for fastest time on stage 4.

On stage 6, 3rd gear started making a lot of noise so I started using 2nd and 4th gears and avoiding 3rd. On Stages 7 through 10 I honed the fine art of skipping 3rd gear. We were still having fun and Rick did a great job co-driving (the only time I had to back-up on stage wasn't his fault). We finished 3rd overall.

Dave
Car # 207

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Still looking for results... could anybody who grabbed a copy after the rally please post them.

Still curious about...
1) What happened to Bob Neilsen? Micah Wiitala? Group 2 battles?
2) How did Cary Kendall do? Did he make it to the finish? ...or Mike Cienkosz? Jim Cox and his killer S-10?
3) Al Kintigh's smoking engine? Who was his co-driver? Did he DNF?
4) Bob Olsen got whomped by the Vette for G5? Sounds like a story here?
5) Any damaged cars other than Jake's? (How bad is it Jake?) Not that I'm into carnage and all, just want to know how the CenDiv rally community fared this weekend.

Thanks much,
Jerry

P.S. No baby yet in the Winker household.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Jerry:

Sorry we didn't call. It was an....exciting...weekend. Lots of good storylines. Group 5 probably had the most entries it has had in years.

Stacy and I had our most exciting rally yet. Started the first three stages being way to stiff in the rear. The car was all over the place. Got into the first service and fixed that issue, but Stacy wasn't feeling well. Stages 4 & 5 were fast with a few technical bits. By the end of 5 Stacy was so sick she didn't think she could finish. Rules bar us from substituting the co-driver soooooo...there was only one way we could finish. We switched places and she drove the rest of the rally. Keep in mind thisb was probably the second time she has EVER driven a car with a manual gearbox. She did wonderful and kept us on the road. Now we just hav to figure out how to combat the motion sickness thing.

Anyway, it was fun. It was a wonderful event as always. Probably in contention for ClubRally of the Year. Thanks to all of the organizers, workers, and spectators. Special thanks to everyone who helped us get our roles switched at the second service. And thanks to everyone who convinced Stacy to drive. It was a ton of fun!

-Dave

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Oh, no! This is how it starts. Now she'll want her own car, and you'll need to either become a co-driver or a two car team in need of co-drivers. :p

·
Registered
187 Posts
Headwaters from the 591 point of view.

-Missed first turn of rally (correct increment?)
-navigator was sick 3/4 of every stage but lasted through all 10! (gurgling sounds through the intercom are never good)
-hit rock on S.S. 3, three miles from the end of the stage (drove out on flat)
-S.S. 4, lost coil(drove ss4- ss7 on three cylinders)
-S.S. 7, Did not follow route book and missed landing at !! (it was Brockwayesk)
-finished 7th overall, 1st in G2

The good:
-every stage of the event was on time
-excellent service location
-friendly, helpful event workers

The O.K.:
-what seemed like a lot of loooong straights

Overall an excellent event!
Dave

www.endurancerallysport.com

·
Registered
311 Posts
Coming from the right seat of the 612 Volkswagen...

We had a BLAST at the event. It was my favorite event to date. The roads were prefect, the workers all seemed happy to be there, the date change was nice, everything was on time, it was great!

Karl and I worked together to finish the best we ever have with almost no damage to the car. We also missed the 90 left early in the first stage, and decided on getting some intercoms for the next event. We hit a rock on stage 3 or 4 and bent a wheel, but nothing major. A couple narrowly missed trees, but no damage.

As we pulled out of stage 6, I noticed that there was no finish time written on our card. We pulled up to stage 7 somewhere around our minuite, finished the stage, and timing did a GREAT job fixing the problem. They already had our time for the stage when we pulled into the short service.

This event was run perfectly, the roads held up INCREDABLY well, the workers were great, the Caution signs helped, and the only thing I would change is the 10 minute wait at the start of each stage. Maybe it could be changed to 5 minutes?

My .02

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Jerry - Yes we finished!!! Heidi Meyers was my co-driver and did a wonderful job.
Parker, Kristi, and Doug were my service crew and did fantastic getting the car ready for the event with such a short amount of time to do it. JB & Brenda Lewis and Dave Fuss also helped out getting the car ready.

The smoking engine was from an oil leak near the turbo. There was an issue with a Map
sensor we think that was causing the car to cut in and out, so some of my stage times aren't very good as we tried to limp the car out of the stage.

More to come later.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
>Headwaters from the 535 point of view.
>
We fooled a bit with the alignment and the car was an animal through the corners. That was fun. Too bad the race wasn't over after ss2.

I rolled again. The car isn't too bad but that is an issue unto itself right now. Most of the glass slivers are out of my hand, too. Too bad I goofed up, it felt like we were winning, except for deflowering the tape at that spectator area on 3.

All the new workers seemed to do an awesome job. That was great.

Piotr is going to kick some arse this year. He celebrated the aniversary of his first race with a win.

I can't push my car so hard anymore. It's fun but too costly. need a different approach.

Dang the sauna at the Super 8 shuts down at 10.

>
>The good:
>-every stage of the event was on time
>-excellent service location
>-friendly, helpful event workers

I agree
>

Jake
Sisu Racing

http://www.cizmascarisaweakdog.com

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
Jake-
Do what I am doing, get a faster car so you dont have to drive as hard for results. :7

Sorry about the roll. Maybe you should try biscuits next time instead!

;)

Just a troll's point of view...

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
452 Posts
>Oh, no! This is how it starts. Now she'll want her own car,
>and you'll need to either become a co-driver or a two car
>team in need of co-drivers. :p

That's what happened to Kristen! Drove Treeline 99 and that was that..

Now we can't get her out of the driver's seat!

Mark Tabor
www.taborrallyteam.com

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
>Jake-
>Do what I am doing, get a faster car so you dont have to
>drive as hard for results. :7

Don't listen to him, Jake. :) Be a fast guy in a slow car until you have your pace figured out...you know, that level of sisu just under the roll-yer-car-in-a-ball threshhold. Then you'll be reeeaaally fast when you move up.

Bad JC. Bad. :)

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
<hee hee> :D

*giggling like a schoolgirl*

Sit JC, Sit. Good troll.
:+

Jake, if you ever figure out how to keep the wheel side down, you will be unstoppable in G2 with dat Nisssan.

I just didnt want to try as hard anymore, and I thought if I was going to sell out, maybe I could lure you to the dark side too.
:)

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
533 Posts
>
>This event was run perfectly, the roads held up INCREDABLY
>well, the workers were great, the Caution signs helped, and
>the only thing I would change is the 10 minute wait at the
>start of each stage. Maybe it could be changed to 5
>minutes?
>
According to the rules we have to have those very long transit times, sorry.

JB

·
Registered
225 Posts
there's not much of a story for the g5 battle.

the vette ran hard and finished up there.

after destroying a car the weekend before, not finishing a race for
awhile, and driving the '73 for the first time in a year, Bob really wanted to finish, so he wasn't in full attack mode. i've never been in a car with him either, so it took a couple of stages and some battling with the terriblephone to get the communication down.

·
if in doubt - flat out.. "CMR"
147 Posts
Hey everyone. Just wanted to thank all the organizers and competitors for one of the best rallies I?ve been to. Sorry for not sticking around afterwards but I had to get Mark to the Minneapolis airport by 5.30am on Sunday and it took everything my diesel could do. This was the first time I got to be the first car on the road and second time I won a club rally, so this was a very exceptional rally for me. We had small problems in the event, like missing a left turn on first stage or a right hairpin on 9th but overall I think this was the smoothest ride for me. Anyway, thanx again and I hope to see you guys at STPR.

Regards, Piotr Wiktorczyk
SCCA ProRally # 614

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3857211/tnails/1081611625730_614small.jpg

·
Registered
169 Posts
I went to head waters to log book a new p-class creation(543). I was able to work finish of two, start of five and nine. As a competitor you only see the cars around you.As a worker I was able to see every team as they pressed on into the night.
The only words that describe the drivers and co-drivers of rally headwaters is TOUGH, IRON STOMACHED.At the start of five I saw more than a few polite white faced smiles.At service number two these smiles turned to..... baggies
The mechanical issues are great fun to witness (moore overheating) (hintz grinding)flat tires (jim cox see list of issues below) brake calipers falling loose on the first car on the road. various dents.
newbie at least new car PRUSI honda crx first rally FINISH!although mad that his skid plate was giving him trouble.

JAY from milwaukee high strung mitsu w/fuel issues

not only a CORVETTE but a corvette with a wife and five week old baby. you rock!

My absolute hero is that sterling guy dave? He took the seat of terror so his TEAM could finish. I am waiting for his story.The omni finished on pace with stacey? at the wheel.(came into finish with applause all around)

And lastly a rally with out martin and utecht was wierd.... but guess what? marks car finished its duties with out a dent.(mary was driving)
Himes made up for martin.Himes was seen dragging on a better than sex cigarette at the third service,with a very satisfied look on his face.... it was scary there was not a sauna for miles...

I am forgeting Oh ya that citation guy had a throtle issue like WOT for the last three stages. that is nuts stories of no brakes and wot and nobody is hurt.
This is a great group of press on regardless people.It was great to see it first hand.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
>Himes made up for martin.Himes was seen dragging on a better
>than sex cigarette at the third service,with a very
>satisfied look on his face.... it was scary there was not a
>sauna for miles...

Man, Merbach should be a promoter. It always sounds better than the actual truth coming out of his mouth. What you witnessed was the Himes tradition of the rollover smoke. Hey Silas started it man, but it goes like this: If you roll, you and all your boys gotta burn one.

I was surprised at how quick that vette guy is getting. In my opinion, the more cylinders at a rally, the better. On that note, Cox's truck was the coolest rig there. That thing was breathing fire at idle. Checkin' out them pipes was like watchin' the studliest parts of Backdraft crossed with Negaunee's low flying 4th of July fireworks. If Cox ever brought dat ting to UP Muffler them guys would just say "HOLY WHAAAAH!!!!" and try to remove the catalytic converters because they think they are plugged. I swear, when they spark up the torch at UP Muffler it starts to rain catalytic converters. It usually goes something like this:

Luther: Hey can you fix this exhaust leak? I think I smoked a rock when I was trying to climb up the Suicide bowl ski jump last night.

UP Muffler: Let's get 'er up in the air

Luther: Great, I need to get my loud exhaust ticket dismissed quick.

Car goes up on the hoist

UP Muffler: <while lighting cutting torches> Your Catalytic is plugged. I gotta cut it off.

Luther: Wha....

CLANG!!!BANG!!! <catalytic hits floor>

Luther: uh..OK

20 minutes later

Luther: Uh...thanks for putting 2.5 inch pipe on and a 3 inch tip welded to the back of my muffler to make it loud, you read my mind.

UP Muffler: I thought you would like that.

<Luther's car pulling away onto street> WaaaaaaWaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaWaaaaaa

Based on about 15 true stories. The names have been changed to protect the guilty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Man, I wish I coulda seen dat Cox's truck blowin fire out the back pipes. Hey Cox, If you ever get busted by the police for makin too much noise. Just shove a couple pastys in them tail pipes. It fools 'em every time. And a second bonus is it gets your pastys (not pasties) nice hot. Jake I was gonna pipe up bout the rollover smoke but ya beat me to it. When I was ridin around with you guys up der in da P. I almost turned into a chain smoker. Specially when you smoked a half ciggarette when you go up on two wheels. Cough, cough... Wah.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts