Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked out the website and nothing yet.

* Steve Gingras won it yet again
* Dennis Martin put a "BIG" hole in the block on SS2 and the piston is now orbiting the earth after going through the hood
* Brian Scott lost a bunch of time on SS2 in his Evo with a flat tire and seemed slower than usual at the end of SS4. He still finished, but I'm not sure where
* Graham Price (ex-Prodrive mechanic currently working for Doug Havir)competed in Doug's Subaru and took second overall.
* Bob Olson slid off the road on SS5 while absolutely flying in his Porsche
* Jake Himes was flying as usual in his Production class Sentra and wouldn't surprise me if he took a top five position. He was third on the road at the end of SS7 and absolutely FLYING!!!!
* Thanasi Samaras was off early into SS1 with no clutch in his PGT car
* Tyler Dill was out after the throttle cable snapped on his ex-Mike Hurst RX-7. His dad McGuyvered up a new one using a boot lace to temporarily repair the problem before withdrawing
* PGT was won by K. Pudelek in his Subaru 2.5 with Dave LaFavor behind him and Matt Huuki in third
* Group 2 was won by Bob Nielsen in his GTI with Micah Wiitala in his Saturn second and Larry Warrington third in Frankenjetta
* Group 5 was won by Robert Cutler in the ageless ex-Kieranen/ex-Pepp/ex-Grzlac/ex-Nowicki RX-7 and I think was the only Gr. 5 finisher
* Jake Himes slaughtered the Production contingent yet again (and beat Jim Cox's S-10 by a huge margin). Watch this guy...remember that name...absolute RAW talent!!!

Pictures should be online hopefully on Tuesday at www.jpmullan.com . I agreed to help my wife with a bunch of chores around the house after taking the past two weekends off taking photos at rallies so that could change.
:p

Jerry Winker
ComicOzzie Rallysport Photography

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you continue to imply that the Headwaters website is lacking you may not get your images scanned or hosted. ;)

The results will be up shortly after I receive them. I could start now, but...

·
Registered
10 Posts
the word is out

So there is quite a buzz about this Himes team out here on the west coast. The word got out on the Magnum opus results and everyone is up in arms. I hear that some big shot producer is looking for someone to direct a movie about them, and there is a script done by the guys who did Driven. I just wonder who will get cast? Stallone or Buscemi?
I'm trying to work out a plan to get stadium seating up at brockway this fall, simply because the police will not be able to contain the fanaticism. Who knows what that sentra can do when it's dropped with DMS and buck fever is at the wheel. I think we can all agree that it is going to be heinous.

gp,
shawn

·
Registered
946 Posts
RE: the word is out

>So there is quite a buzz about this Himes team out here on
>the west coast. The word got out on the Magnum opus results
>and everyone is up in arms. I hear that some big shot
>producer is looking for someone to direct a movie about
>them, and there is a script done by the guys who did Driven.
> I just wonder who will get cast? Stallone or Buscemi?
>I'm trying to work out a plan to get stadium seating up at
>brockway this fall, simply because the police will not be
>able to contain the fanaticism. Who knows what that sentra
>can do when it's dropped with DMS and buck fever is at the
>wheel. I think we can all agree that it is going to be
>heinous.
>
>gp,
>shawn
>

go west young man... Northwest more specifically. We'd like you to join the bid P class competition...

·
Registered
339 Posts

Summary for us:

Won stage 1 along with Dennis Martin.

Hit something in the road on stage 2. On the road, not the ditches. Absolutlely exploded a wheel, Compomotive TH2. Got the car off the road, changed the bit that was left with a new tire/wheel.

Lost 11 minutes so the killer instinct was at about 70% for the rest of the event.

Also had engine problems, with a possible head gasket failing.

Ran the rest of the rally just to finish.

Not our best showing, but it was nice to see everyone again.

We'll be back.

Brian

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

And from the administrative side of things, fifteen (yes, that's FIFTEEN) new licenses were issued at Headwaters, including Steve Gingras' codriver.

There was a ROOMFUL of new workers at Emily's Worker 101 class, too.

Everybody at the party had a good time, and there was food and beer left over. (well, there was at 2:30 when I crashed...)

And speaking of crashes, not one incident report had to be filed.

Bruce

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey now ! Car 555 was 2nd in Group 5 and 12th overall and definate finisher !! This was my wife's 2nd outing as co-driver and we had fun again. Now to get a gearbox with 'real' usable ratios and a converter that can flow....

Cheers

Colin McCleery
Club Rally car 555, Ford Sierra

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Doh! My horrible Headwaters luck has struck again. Let's recap:

2000: Blown Motor (stage 1)
2001: Broken trans followed by a big rock
2002: Fuel cell issue (finished on tow strap)
2003: Blown Motor (stage 2)

Event started out well. We were first on the road, which was neat, and the roads were in great shape. Lotsa grip. Tied Brian Scott for the stage win on SS1 with Steve Gingras only seconds behind. I knew the race was gonna be a shoot out and we were pumped. Attacked SS2 with some of my best driving to date until about 8 miles in when the temp light came on. Shut off the ALS and the temps went back into the green, but about a mile later the engine lost power. Third gear, about 6500 RPM, and foot to the floor she chattered for about 2 seconds, and BANG! A large flame shot out the hood vent followed by lotsa white smoke and pieces of metal small enuf to pass through the 1/2 inch mesh over the hood vent. We were on a narrow twisty section a berm on one side and a deep ditch on the other. No place to pull off so we coasted for while until Kim spotted a beauty spot right past a corner. We almost made it....emphasis on almost. The car came to stop in the middle of the stage, and the motor was siezed so I couldn't pull it off with the starter. Knowing we had already lost about 15 seconds we elected to set the triangles first, and after a couple cars nervously squeezed past (sorry guys) were finally able to push the car off the road.

The #4 rod apparently disintegrated (can't find any pieces) and put a hole in the block the size of my fist. Of course I'm extremely dissapointed, but I have great incar of the explosion, and I have to admit it is pretty cool to see. I'll try and get it on the web.

It was fun while it lasted, and congrats to Steve Gingras on winning the race for the umpteenth time. I'm looking forward to another Scott/Gingras/Martin shoot out, perhaps at Cadillac Forest?

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

PS. John V., I know your gonna chime in about the weenie rods and pistons used in those "misterbitchies", but.... well.... crap I don't have a good come back. :) You're right, shoulda bought a cossie.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>Doh! My horrible Headwaters luck has struck again. Let's
>recap:
>
>2000: Blown Motor (stage 1)
>2001: Broken trans followed by a big rock
>2002: Fuel cell issue (finished on tow strap)
>2003: Blown Motor (stage 2)
>
>PS. John V., I know your gonna chime in about the weenie
>rods and pistons used in those "misterbitchies", but....
>well.... crap I don't have a good come back. :) You're
>right, shoulda bought a cossie.

poooor thing!!
Gimme a call when you get the thang stripped, built three of those things in Nov-Dec last year, there are some nice off the shelf parts available these days for reasonable money.
You have spare block-crank?

Contray to what some real idiots think, I never like to hear of mechanical failures especially dramatic things like this, regardless of car.
Sorry to hear this.

DON'T Rob the Eclipse motor!!

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
>Hey now ! Car 555 was 2nd in Group 5 and 12th overall and
>definite finisher !!

Oops.. you're right. And the Corvette finished as well on street-use BFG's (3rd in Gr.5 I think, plus a win in Historic)!!!! That's a remarkable feat considering the transits to a few of those stages had a few BIG mud holes, plus all of the rain during SS5 through 7 which made things slippery.

Jerry

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>You have spare block-crank?
>
>
>DON'T Rob the Eclipse motor!!
>
>
>
>
>
>John Vanlandingham
>Seattle, WA. 98168
>

No, don't have any spare evo parts. And the eclipse parts mostly won't work. If anybody has a spare Evo block they would like to get rid of for not too much money, I'm in need.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Dennis, are there KNOWN certain differences in the blocks and you better check crank as well for straightness?
Find out if it must be some late G63 thing or what, I may know a Lancer Evo lump elsewhere but if it is just a normal block, well..........

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Registered
159 Posts
The race went well for us. This was the first race that the car was actually handling the way I wanted it to and was making decent power.

To bad both of the big bad evos' had problems. I was really looking forward to a hard fought battle. That I would eventually win of course!!!!!

Brian - I think the rock you hit was on the apex of a right hander that went behind a small bank. I couldn't see how tight the corner was as I approached and it was tighter than I thought. I couldn't stick to the apex of the corner. I was carrying to much speed. As I cleared the small bank and had a complete of the road there was a watermelon size rock right in the middle of the road. We missed it but only just. I think it was about the middle of 2.

Phil did a good job for a rookie. He had his moments but so did I.
Kept me out of the wood that was all I was asking.

Does anyone have the results in an electronic format?

Thanks to everyone who helped put it on.
See you next year for win number 5.

Steve Gingras

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello I'm relatively new to the sport and I don't know much about cars. I was wondering why would you buy a car like one of those evohs or that Subaru that Lance Armstrong drives that cost what 20 30 grand when I saw a little econo box Nissan keeping up? It didn't look like much but it appeared to be going as fast or faster than those other cars. Maybe my eyes were decieving me, like I said I'm new. I was thinking about getting a Suberu but after watching that race I'm convinced a Nissan is a much better bang for a buck. It must be about the same performance wise. Does anyone know where I can buy a Nissan like that red one at HeadWaters? Or does anyone have any other recommendations. Maybe I'm a little confused if anyone could shed some light on this subject that would be great. I'm still trying to figure out how that Vette didn't win.
Thank You.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Stop trolling, Luther. You want to pat Jake on the back for a good race, just do it.

(He's talking about Jake Himes, who I hear won 3rd overall in a Production Sentra at this year's Headwaters ClubRally. Which I believe places him one seed higher than me, in his third rally. *grumble*)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts