Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about building a new Celica GT or GTS...Anyone heard good or bad stuff regarding this car??

Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
>Thinking about building a new Celica GT or GTS...Anyone
>heard good or bad stuff regarding this car??
>
>Greg

Jeff Field is running one. I imagine when he gets near his computer he will make a comment. He won first time out, and ran the whole event with short springs... We'll see how well he can do with the car off the bump stops at Oregon Trail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,027 Posts
I think there were actually two at Cherokee, one ran at Sno*Drift.

Doug Davenport had a hand in building one of them. They certainly look good on the road. I know the car Doug worked on now has a DMS (? I think it was DMS custom designed) suspension, that you can now buy for your project.

Good Luck,
Mike
 

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
Joined
·
3,979 Posts
Robert Olson (the guy who bought the Chizma Porsche 911 Prod car) and Conrad Ketelsen (Eden Prairie & Orono, MN, respectvely) will, again, be running their Prod Class Toyota Celica GTS in Oregon. They had a solid run at Cherokee coming to grips with FWD and Robert told me he hopes to start picking up the pace out west.

M. E. "Mad Mike" Halley, RealAutoSport, LLC.
http://www.realautosport.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was a note in regards to the engine...I heard bad things about the 2000....have they fixed whatever it was for 2002??? And yes..I think the car looks sharp..Im thinking of production class...

Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
>There was a note in regards to the engine...I heard bad
>things about the 2000....have they fixed whatever it was for
>2002??? And yes..I think the car looks sharp..Im thinking
>of production class...
>
>Greg

2000 Celica engine is fine, but it doesn't like being shifted from 5th to 2nd at speed... Evidently the transmission allowed this pretty easily, but it has been fixed now. 80 mph shift to 2nd, pow...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Hey, there are enough of these damn Celicas in P class already. Stay away from any fast cars. If you want to compete with me in Production Class, buy something nice and slow...and give me a chance.

But, if you insist on ruining my chances for a decent year...

I will say that I only have one event on it, so I really don't have a clue as to its longterm suitability for rallying. I bought the car as a roll-over, and finished it in the week before the event. Because it was a wreck, I never had a chance to get behind the wheel and drive it before the event, except down the street in my subdivision. Point is, I am hardly qualified to comment yet, and because we had real suspension issues, which had nothing to do with the car, I think I will have more to say after Oregon. The car seems to handle well, and turn in nicely, and I felt comfortable with it right from the very first stage. I am not sure why Dave kept screaming "SLOW DOWN!"

The engine is known for its problems, but so far so good. I suspect its problems have more to do with the snot-nosed kid owners watching too much Fast and Furious than with serious engine design issues. Though they did lower the rev limiter on post-2000 cars. That said, I was tired of having the slowest car in the class, so this time I opted for the fastest. The engine is pretty peppy, but is not especially torquey.

The car is a tight fit, and if you are tall, you might not fit. I am 5'6" tall and 150lbs, and I just fit (but am using a slider seat). We put in a special roof bubble just for Dave's gut. A joke Dave, just a joke...

The 6-speed ratios are spaced to avoid 2nd to 3rd gear shifting when doing zero to 60 runs (sells cars), and is not optimized for racing, but who cares, it has 90 extra horseys!

We went ahead, and left all the stuff on the car, including the A/C and the 7 speaker stereo. No sense in being uncomfortable. I worry about not being allowed to seamweld this car though. I suspect that will be a problem after 10 or 20 events.

We are thinking of adding a drag chute to make it fair when we race Mad Mike.

Jeff
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
275 Posts
Having gone through the entire car from stripping it, caging it and rebuilding it. I would say overall it is not a bad choice. It is lacking the torque one would prefer, but just keep the revs up and it should be fine. As for the suspension I would think that the DMS is the most affordable for the durability and performance. I may a bit bias being that I am a DMS dealer. I worked with Jamie Drummond of DMS to get the Celica suspension done. Considering that it took one month for a one off set not bad. So if you need any help please give me a call.
Doug Davenport
763.389.2242
[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
>Hey, there are enough of these damn Celicas in P class
>already. Stay away from any fast cars. If you want to
>compete with me in Production Class, buy something nice and
>slow...and give me a chance.
>
>But, if you insist on ruining my chances for a decent
>year...
>
>I will say that I only have one event on it, so I really
>don't have a clue as to its longterm suitability for
>rallying. I bought the car as a roll-over, and finished it
>in the week before the event. Because it was a wreck, I
>never had a chance to get behind the wheel and drive it
>before the event, except down the street in my subdivision.
>Point is, I am hardly qualified to comment yet, and because
>we had real suspension issues, which had nothing to do with
>the car, I think I will have more to say after Oregon. The
>car seems to handle well, and turn in nicely, and I felt
>comfortable with it right from the very first stage. I am
>not sure why Dave kept screaming "SLOW DOWN!"
>
>The engine is known for its problems, but so far so good. I
>suspect its problems have more to do with the snot-nosed kid
>owners watching too much Fast and Furious than with serious
>engine design issues. Though they did lower the rev limiter
>on post-2000 cars. That said, I was tired of having the
>slowest car in the class, so this time I opted for the
>fastest. The engine is pretty peppy, but is not especially
>torquey.
>
>The car is a tight fit, and if you are tall, you might not
>fit. I am 5'6" tall and 150lbs, and I just fit (but am
>using a slider seat). We put in a special roof bubble just
>for Dave's gut. A joke Dave, just a joke...
>
>The 6-speed ratios are spaced to avoid 2nd to 3rd gear
>shifting when doing zero to 60 runs (sells cars), and is not
>optimized for racing, but who cares, it has 90 extra
>horseys!
>
>We went ahead, and left all the stuff on the car, including
>the A/C and the 7 speaker stereo. No sense in being
>uncomfortable. I worry about not being allowed to seamweld
>this car though. I suspect that will be a problem after 10
>or 20 events.
>
>We are thinking of adding a drag chute to make it fair when
>we race Mad Mike.
>
>Jeff


Jeff, I will look for you at Oregon...I would love to see the car...would also like to see if I even fit in it... 6'1 190 lbs

Greg
 

·
L1 !!! HPR into HPL
Joined
·
950 Posts
Hey Jeff,

Never noticed the bubble, but why did you tell me to ask for an extension for my seat belt on my next flight out to Oregon :p

Don't remember telling you to slow down except on Stage 7 when we had 4 minutes in hand. Jeff, you are one hell of a driver and I consider myself lucky to co-drive for you!

David Weiman
[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
I hear that they tend to get hungry for trees and the such part way through rallies. :D :D

Hopefully this pic will appear:

http://www.picturetrail.com/slidewaysmike

Well poop! Why can I never get an image to appear on this bulletin board?

Mike Anderson
85 VW GTI

Okay try clicking the link to see if you get into my album. x(

Then scroll all the way to the bottom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Okay guys, give him a break. He's used to 200 hp at the rear wheels...though come to think of it he is from the snowy north.

Robert, first rule of driving a front-wheel drive car...when you feel like your in trouble, NEVER, and I mean NEVER, stay on the brakes. When you see that tree coming, just get on the gas, point the wheel the other direction, and pray like hell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
>Jeffy just HAD to say ...
>>We are thinking of adding a drag chute to make it fair when
>>we race Mad Mike.
>
>I don't need no STEEEEENKING favors ...
>
>:7
>
>M. E. "Mad Mike" Halley, RealAutoSport, LLC.
>http://www.realautosport.com

Mikey,

Ya know I love ya man...;)

Jeffy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
OK OK - we'll take our lumps, so to speak.

Great shot, by the way. What it doesn't show, though, is the Audi that went off in front of us about 15 feet the other side of the tree with a real live person waving his arms next to it and another one climbing out a window. The tree looked pretty good to us at
the time. For some reason I remember it as being larger.

Besides making a great planter, the GTS is a good car and fun to drive. Real narrow power band. (I still can't get over this thing for RWD & lots of torque, though...)

Bob Olson
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top