Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Plenty sideways
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a rally car in the USA and bringing it into Canada.

It will only be used off road.

Has anyone done this before?

Any help, guidance or advice greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Gethin.

·
Registered
532 Posts
>I am thinking of buying a rally car in the USA and bringing
>it into Canada.
>
>It will only be used off road.
>
>Has anyone done this before?
>
>Any help, guidance or advice greatly appreciated!
>
>Regards,
>
>Gethin.

Rally cars have to be titled and licensed unless you are only going to run Rallycrosses.

I think it has been done many times. If the car is more than 15 years old it is easier.

If not, you need to check the Transport Canada website for information on what each vehicle needs to be registered. Caution - some vehicles need extensive and expensive modifications, or cannot be imported at all. Many need things like DRL and Child seat anchors to be installed.

I think there is some movement to get an agreement with Transport Canada to allow such cars under a competion car exclusion. See http://www.specialstage.com/forum/cgi-bin/DCForumID18/455.html

Dave C

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's pretty simple.
check out [link:www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4140/rc4140-e.html|Canada Customs site] and you can find out lots from there.

The US border will likly want to hold onto the car for a couple of days (48 hrs) I think to run the VIN.

Steve

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>It's pretty simple.
>check out
>[link:www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4140/rc4140-e.html|Canada
>Customs site] and you can find out lots from there.
>
>The US border will likly want to hold onto the car for a
>couple of days (48 hrs) I think to run the VIN.
>
>Steve
O non non non ma chere FiFi!
They want to hold it to check for hidden compartments which might be hiding dreaded "Evil-doers" escaping back over the border once they're done doin' eveil down here.
Didn't you read where our government scolded your government because you guys haven't enacted Totalitarian restrictive legislation and haven't begun monitoring all communications, and as a result you guys are swarming with terrorists and evil-doers who mill around the border jostling each other to infiltrate our virginal shores so they can do evil.
I mean do you guys even have a NSA???

Remember, whatever you do never say "fuel-rods" aloud or in print, if you don't want the SQUAWT Team to come a blazing for you!

Mon dieu! mon dieu!

John "I have Tom Ridge on my speed-dial" Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
If you are looking at rallying the car, and it was logbooked after 2000, you shoudl make sure that the cage meets the current standards - SCCA cages typically don't meet cars standards and you might have to re-cage the car!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I have done it once, it was not so simple. Getting the car out of the US took a few attempts.

Have fun.

Derek

·
Registered
61 Posts
Derek has that right...it wasn't so simple, eh?

Feel free to email me with some questions. But it would certainly help to know what state you're buying it from. The road-block we had with getting Derek's car out was in regards to the state of Washington's VIN policy.

-Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I brought in a car, there was not a problem, we had the appropriate paper work, left the car on the south side. 2 days later picked it up and 1-2 hours later we were on our way north. The Canada customs guy after he finished his paper work looked out the window and said 'Yup that's a car, have a good day'

Steve

·
Plenty sideways
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Appreciate the feedback very much.

I think the cage would bve a problem to.

Thanks.

Gethin.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't know if things vary from border to border crossing but as far as I know you have no obligation to stop at the US border side when you are comming into Canada.

I imported a Celica Rally car last year into Canada from Minessotta and did not have to leave the car at the border for any reason.

As far as the roll cage goes, Yes, as Keith mentioned, it could be a problem if it was built after Jan. 2000. and has only 1.5" tubing.

For easy importation;

A- Print out all the informaton that is available at the Transport Canada web site (several people mentioned the web address above)

B- make sure the car is in the "allowable list" of cars to be imported

C- make sure you have a certificate of Compliance for that car (you must obtain that from the US manufacturer head office)

D- If you intend to rally it, thus register it, plate it, you should get ( if possible) all the stuff that came out of the car when it was built, particularly if it is a late model vehicle, components such as air bags, original seatbelts, ABS, etc.
You have to do two inspections; 1st a Federal Transport Canada inspection, that one is easy, usualy you just have to add a "daytime running lights module" (about $18)and that's that.
The second inspection; your Provincial transport dep. inspection is tougher.
The Provincial inspection stations will make you have all the above original equipment on and operating to pass the final, provincial road inspections...
I got away with having just the 6 point harnesses instead of the factory belts but all other equipment was tested and no excemptions were maid, ...and I hear some provinces are much tougher than others.

Good luck
Jorge

·
Registered
77 Posts
There *is* a US regulation that you have to submit ownership or title or similar, as part of condition of exporting a car from the US. I'm not sure why they have you do that, but it's important that you do.

"Basic requirements:
A person attempting to export a used self-propelled vehicle shall present to Customs, at the port of exportation, both the vehicle and the required documentation describing the vehicle to include the VIN. Exportation of a vehicle will be permitted only upon compliance with these requirements."

More at: http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cgov/export/export_docs/motor_vehicle.xml

As I understand, the consequence for not submitting the paperwork is that the vehicle may be confiscated if it ever returns to the US.

Something that requires further research..

Frank de Kat

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The US wants to know the car's been exported for anumber of reasons, including VIN duping - if cars left the country without the USA's knowledge then wrecked cars could be running on those VINs without detection.

But as long as your car is on the "acceptable" list, you should have no problem at customs. You may have more problems with provincial inspection if it's a prepped car. And then I'm afraid to say you may have very significant problems with the CARS rulebook with regard to cage specs. Check it first.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
SURF!!! I'll cover you myself!
663 Posts
I have exported cars from the US to europe. US customs only checks the VIN to ensure it's not stolen, and that you are indeed the owner.

They stamp the title "OK FOR EXPORT" and hand it back to you, it takes about two or three days for them to run it through the computer.

They do not communicate this information with any other agencys as to what happend to the car/VIN, DOT, EPA, etc, nobody else is provided that information.

At least this has been my experiance.

Peter

·
Registered
730 Posts
> They stamp the title "OK FOR EXPORT" and hand it back to
>you, it takes about two or three days for them to run it
>through the computer.

And if you don't want to leave the car at the border for three days, you can fax the information to the vehicle export desk at the specific border post that you're going to cross, 3 business days in advance of the day you wish to cross. Then on the day, you just have to stop at the US side of the border, walk into the office to get the title stamped, and then drive right on through.

Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gethin,

I have exported/imported from the US many times. Shoot me an email, and I'll send you my Import Guide. The right facts.
bmcnutt at auracom.com

·
Registered
271 Posts
I looked into importing a car prepped rally car from the US.

Everyone has mentioned the issues with cage compliance but no one has mentioned issues with standard safety equipment.

If the car had air bags from the factory then the car has to have airbags to pass your provincial inspection.

This can be a major and an expensive headache.

Another thing to consider is that the restrictor plates for turbo's in the US are different than they are in Canada. If you have to change the restrictor then you can count on re mapping the ECU at the same time.

I've been looking for a prepped rally car for the past 4 months and am finally coming to the realization that it may be better to build one up.

I've found a builder in the US that's a decent guy who does good work. More than likely I'll buy a car that is more or less stock in the US, register it in Canada, buy insurance, put Canadian plates on it and then bring it to the US to be built. This way... zero government or border hassels.

Either way... when you budget for a car, especially if you're importing it... make sure you have a contingency fund for those unforeseen moments.

I hope this helps and puts a few things into perspective.

Cheers,

Morten

·
Registered
665 Posts
>I think Terry at CARS Canada may have some information for
>you on this regard?
>
>Scott

Yes, given recent developments, I would talk to Terry. I believe I heard that CARS may have come to some sort of understanding with Customs?

Robin

1 - 20 of 22 Posts