Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both Ralph and I used our brand new HANS devices at DooWops. We also had the side nets (interior) and the SFI roll bar padding (a LOT harder than what we all have been using). All this generated LOTS of question.

Now Ralph is a bit bigger than I am, so keep that in mind.

It takes slightly longer to get your helmet on (maybe 1 to 2 minutes). I put the HANS and helmet on together - stapped together. Ralph puts his HANS on first, then the helmet, them puts the 2 tethers on - this takes a little longer.

I can put mine on outside the car and get in (being carefull not to snag on the door opening). Ralph needs to put his on inside the car.

The device forces you tighten your shoulder belts tighter (and that is a good thing), and it spreads the force of the belts over a greater area of your body. Absolutely no discomfort. By word of mouth, women can more comfotably cinch their shoulder belts down tight.

It IS harder to fasten the helmet chin strap (less room to manuever between the device and your helmet). You must latch your belts by braille - I cannot see that far down with the HANS on.

You can't look sideways more than about 90 degrees. This is no problem on stage, but means you can't look backwards to see traffic at stops and yields on transits.

When transiting, it is more difficult to take everything off, and to find room to put it all.

We both got the quick release straps. Ralph uses his, I have not yet, but would make it easier to get the helmet off by itself and leave the HANS on. If talking both off, you need to unbuckle to get out from the shoulder harness, and then the should is loose on your body for tansits. You could leave the HANS on and just take off your helmet - we didn't try that.

I found absolutely no problem in using it on stage. I can see everything, the route book (no these were not notes, but NW routebooks do have lots of detail), the odo, the instruments. So, NO problems. Once on stage you foget you are wearing it. The only change was that, because my belts were tighter, I couldn't reach the odo like I used to.

So, YES, gumball! It is a keeper.

Others using: Mark Utecht-driver, Lee Sorenson-navie. Any others?

press on,

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts
Assignment complete. Thanks.

I don't believe I could get in and out of Dennis's car with all this assembled, but your description of not having problems on stage is what I was looking for. On transits, why didn't you use your quick releases to buy some flexibility to see sideways at intersections....the reconnect should be very easy, no?

Kim DeMotte
Official Old Fart, etc.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The hans was no problem. It took me awhile to get the assembly order correct. What I ended up with was doing up the belts with the shoulder straps very loose, slipping on the hans, then snug the belts just a bit. Put on helmet and chin strap, then connect the hans ?belts? and the intercom. Then tighten up the shoulder straps. Once the shoulder straps are tight there is very little movement. The total extra time is between 1-2 minutes. I could not tell it was on during the stage and never felt my movement restricted. The biggest issue is one more thing to deal with at the end of the stage, place to put it etc. On quick transits I would remove my helmet and keep the hans on, on longer transits take them both off. You will not see me in a race car without a hans in the future.

Ralph Kosmides

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nets

I don't have any pics. Ralph? There were lots of people around, so someone might have pics.

These were only the 2 nets BETWEEN (the inboard ones) Ralph and I. We do NOT yet have the outboard nets. Not a hint of vision problem. Only 2 things to get used to. 1 - to open and close the roof vent, you need to reach under one net and then up - Ralph kept trying to reach through his net. 2 - need to unbuckle one of them to get the helmets behind the seats. Come to Oregon and take a look.

Doug Robinson is supposed to be putting them in his car. Anyone else?

press on,

·
Registered
61 Posts
RE: Nets

I agree with Jimmy and Ralph on all points. I, too won't be seen in a race car without my HANS.

I did not get the quick release straps and operate by using the attachement to the helmet. These take a little getting used to, but is no longer an issue.

I remove my helmet only on transits and leave the HANS in place.

I prefer to put my stuff on outside the car, HANS, Peltor (open face) and neck collar and climb into the car. Those who know me, know that I'm 6'3" and about 245 lbs. I co-drive in Bruce Davis's Eclipse. I get into the car just as easy with the equipment on as without. But I'm proficient at getting the gear on and off in all situations.

I have no issues with the belt intallation as I'm in an open face helmet.

Regards,

Lee Sorenson

PS

Greg,

HANS run about $865 now.

Jimmy,

Tell me about the new seat belts.

:)

·
R5/cr L5 into Helicopter Ride
420 Posts
SFI padding...

I've used SFI roll cage padding in the car since day 1, and at the doowop's the tech inspector gave me grief about it, saying he thought it was too dense, and to get the pipe-insulator style.

I fully intend to keep my SFI pads, and after rolling and hitting my helmet on one this weekend, I can say they work great :) The pad absorbed a lot of an impact that would have probably cracked my helmet (peltor G7) had the pad not been there, or been of such a light density that it just falls apart under stressful impacts.

Interesting news on the nets and HANS device.

·
Registered
724 Posts
RE: SFI padding...

It should be noted that HANS is swithching over to using Stand 21 to manufacture all HANS exclusively. Stand 21 has a new vacuum method that produces lighter HANS systems (there was previously an option) I have tried both and the lighter version was much more comfortable. For those that want to order HANS we are working on getting a good discount on them for all rally drivers and co-drivers (one of our customers supplies the quick releases to Jim Downing) so if anyone is interested please email me.

[email protected]

·
Registered
724 Posts
RE: SFI padding...

Okay just a quick update, from speaking iwth Stand in the US nad stand in Europe even the american people are telling me to get the Euro version so I am talking with them about the final pricing. For those interested I will need to know which size you need be fore March 31. Delivery would be April 11. Got a few emails as well will be getting back to you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts