Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried but failed to find the post where some newbie asked about the reason for handles on trunks and treadplates on bumpers so I'll just share the pic I found and leave it at that:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I tried but failed to find the post where some newbie asked about the reason for handles on trunks and treadplates on bumpers so I'll just share the pic I found and leave it at that:

Also gave the co-driver a chance to stretch their legs and get some exercise, besides their next note maybe another 40 minutes out in some of those long mud holes. :)

·
Spectator Wrangler
831 Posts
My guess is that Mark's video clip is really a broken throttle cable. I've seen at least one crew do that for that reason.

·
left 6 through dip into weeds
279 Posts
Isn't sitting in the right seat enough??? :cool:

·
L1 !!! HPR into HPL
950 Posts
Brad,

It is up high to keep it relatively clean from all the mud. Most Safari cars seemed to have those lights in days past.

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Before the rules changed in maybe the late 70s/early 80s those lights were legal in ProRally too. I can remember that among others Scott Harvey had one on the roof of the Cheetah.

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fender mounted driving lights

Safari Rally is what attracted me to rallyesport in the first place. Peugeot winning it an unprecedented six times through the 70s (and the fact Bolen Peugeot in OKC sponsored the Ponca City Grand Prix SCCA National road race event in the late 70s) is what launched my Peugeot rally days.

Fender mounted driving lights on Safari cars were mostly there because when it rains in east Africa water crossings found most of the car and all but those lamps submerged. Same philosophy behind the air intake snorkels often found atop Safari cars.

I mounted a couple on the Son of RallyeTruck because I've been sponsored by KC HiLiTES since before my first stage rally in '77 and the rules permitted up to eight auxiliary lamps, so why not show off a little?

·
left 6 through dip into weeds
279 Posts
I was always under the impression that at Safari, the higher lights caught the attention of the animals a bit better, especially the taller animals, and hopefully kept them from colliding with the cars. Which is why they still do it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My post disappeared so here goes again. Most of your answers were the benefits to having one or two lights up at eye level. The main idea behind this practice was that they identified the cars as rally vehicles at a distance, day and night so that foot traffic and approaching vehicles would clear the way, hopefully. The Safari went through three countries so there was no way to close roads to local traffic. I dont know if this was a written Safari rule or just understood.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts