Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone:

I'm preparing an article on Group N for Grassroots Motorsports magazine. I would like to have input from anyone who wishes to help that is competing in Group N, PGT or Open who will give me facts and opinions on the following questions:

1) What do you feel are the pros and cons of Group N, relative to PGT and Open? If you are running Group N, why N instead of the other two? If you are running PGT or Open, why not Group N?

2) What is a realistic estimate of the cost to put a good Group N car on the starting line? How does this compare to PGT or Open?

3) Is legality a real issue in Group N in the USA at this time? If so, what are the principal areas of concern?

4) Is there any problem with Variant Option parts availability? What are the best sources for your model of car?

5) How would you rate the speed capability of N, PGT and a good Open car on a scale of 1 to 10, with last year's factory open cars rated a 10?

6) For PGT drivers: do you have any interest in moving to N? Why or why not?

Thanks for the help. I'd like your input by March 22nd, if possible. Please email me direct at [email protected].

Some background on me: I've been freelance writing for GRM since 1985, have been a rally fan all my life, and co-drove national pros from around 1975 through 1985,all in the southwest and in California (mostly in Corvairs, so I'm obviously a littel warped) with a couple of (low) top 10s at the late, great Big Bend Bash. I stay current with current rallying, and have been lurking on this forum for a long time to stay in touch.

Thanks again for the help.

Jim Pettengill

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Funny story about Jim :)

Several years ago we towed our rally car through Roswell NM on the way back from my in-laws in Alamogordo. Jim saw us going though town and ended up calling the in-laws to see if they knew was rally car that was. This was after one of the last Big Bend Bashes so it must have been in the late 80's. Or as the Disney song goes, it's a small world.
Richard Miller

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Michigan Brian Scott (as opposed to Arizona Brian Scott) has recently run cars in all three classes. He lurks on this forum, so you should be able to look up an email address. Anyone can give you opinions, Pat and Brian can give you facts.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Second call for information for this article - see initial post for questions. So far I have had good response from (among others) Sue Robinson, Kendall Russell, Brain Scott, Chris Yandell, Jonathan Bottoms, and Patrick Richard, among others. Anyone else out there want to help with comments? Please contact me at the email address in the initial post. If you have opinions or advice to future competitors, let me hear them.

Thanks,

Jim Pettengill

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LAST CALL! I will begin writing this article at the end of next week, so anyone else who wants to help out with information, opinions or rants about Group N (and its relationship to PGT) please email me before April 23rd. Many thanks to all those who have helped so far! See list of questions on my initial post.

Jim Pettengill

·
Registered
36 Posts
No everyone in the rally community reads this board. Why not look at the entries for Oregon Trail and work from there?

Or, email Patr. He know's more about gpN than just about anyone anyone else in NA. I'm sure you haven't had too much response b/c there are very few legal cars in NA, hence, no one wants to talk about their cars!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, I have had very good response so far - I'm just giving another chance for those who may wish to contribute. And a pretty high percentage of the serious rally community do follow this board, and make their feelings known.

Thanks to all who have helped.

Jim P.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts