Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We did it. The first running of the competitor controlled class Group F occured at the 2004 Lake Superior Pro Rally. The cars were scored on the stages used by the divisional races. There was no distinction made between Pro and Club.

Here are the results. Out of guilt I must mention that the rookie driver in car 535 would have been 11 seconds out of first overall in the Keweenaw if his codriver hadn't boned up and collected 10 minutes in penalties.

http://www.inspire-solutions.com/gpf/lspr_gpf_results.xls

The Battle. It's a rally term that we all know. If you haven't been in one you really need to try one sometime. It is awesome. There is no letting up. The cars are literally seconds from each other and the order keeps shuffling as the stages are run. After each stage you compare times and laugh and hoot and get ready to get after it again.

I am totally grinning right now trying to think of how to describe it. It's probably the most thrilling thing to experience at a rally. Surely I'm kidding myself but it reminds me of those BRC tapes where the guys are just givin' 'er right from the start. I think we were having as much fun as those guys.

The best thing is that this experience can be had with a little old 2wd non turbo rally car and you are all invited. LSPR was the most fun I have had at a rally, by far. Come join us for fun on the cheap.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Jake,
You're seeing what it was like in the early 90s here in the PNW.
There was three 323s and then THE REST OF US!
I have old resultslists where we had 4th thru 18th all within about 90
seconds, everybody was just 6 or 10 seconds or sometimes 3, and even back then the spectators were jumping up and down and cheering us on like Brazillian Soccer fans, and to get that out of mellow relaxed Lutheran Squreheads like we have here in the NorthWest, it has to be fun what they're watching.
It was this sort of competition that led to the fact that all sorts of NW 2wd guys being as fast if not faster than all the guys in the so called Pro class.
We had Vern Johnson from Portland OR and Grant Whiting from Olympia WA setting faster times than Paul Choinier in their Corolla and Colt as late as 92-93, Sam Bryan, Goran Ostland and me in SAABs, John Sparks in another Toyota who, if the results were published with the fastest to the slowest for everybody was was driving, regardless of the "National" or "Divisional" licence in thier wallets, the stories of who was fast and who wasn't would be a bit different.

So congratulations on the first step to getting back to some competition worthy of the name, the first step of a long march has been taken.

Now if we can just find a way to make sure that everybody goes the same milage so comparisons between "Club" and so called "Pro" can be made easily and exactly.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat!
Vive Le Groupe F!

·
Registered
62 Posts
What John said...
I was going to post this AM but couldn't get thru.
It sounds like Group F was a taste of the "olden days" of rally.
As co-driver I would be checking times at every opportunity. On one occasion Mike got the bit in his teeth and had a really good run that pushed us ahead of Goran Ostlund by 45 sec. Now Goran was fast so this was a memorable stage. Unfortunately we couldn"t do a repeat. Goran kept nibbling away at our lead 4-5 sec. per stage. The upshot was we beat them by 4 sec. And that was a personal victory. I don't remember the overall finish stats. I remember our personal battle and the downhill section of maybe our fastest stage. Great competition!!

Group F may drag me out again. Keep up the campaign.

Dick Fuhrman
Formerly BeeDriver now I am ballast

PS: I ran with Mike Thomas in a single carbed 510

·
Registered
521 Posts
Interesting enough that if you took our combined time and compared that to the 'Pro' times minus the one extra stage they ran, Dave Cizmas and I even with a blown front strut, a couple good sized holes in the floor which allowed water to splashed in my face while reading notes, would have finished at least 7th overall with at least one other GrpF car in the top 10.

It was my first time ever at LSPR as well as riding with Dave, had a blast and hopefully I can come back out for Sno-Drift and play with the same great bunch of GrpF'ers.

David Hackett
Reno, NV

·
Registered
366 Posts
>As co-driver I would be checking times at every opportunity.
> On one occasion Mike got the bit in his teeth and had a
>really good run that pushed us ahead of Goran Ostlund by 45
>sec. Now Goran was fast so this was a memorable stage.
>Unfortunately we couldn"t do a repeat. Goran kept nibbling
>away at our lead 4-5 sec. per stage. The upshot was we beat
>them by 4 sec. And that was a personal victory. I don't
>remember the overall finish stats. I remember our personal
>battle and the downhill section of maybe our fastest stage.
>Great competition!!
>
>
>PS: I ran with Mike Thomas in a single carbed 510

What year and event was that?

·
Registered
62 Posts
1985 Mike Thomas Dick Fuhrman
Rookies of the Year
1969 Datsun 510 single sidedraft two liter I think, killer compression. Mike was a master Nissan mechanic. It was a good motor, maybe 130-140 hsp with good torque.

Mike had run acouple of events but never finished. He called me and I joined him in 85. We did OK. Mike was/is a good solid driver. Better than I in the tight stuff. I think I am better on downhill and sweepers, neither of us liked the very fast stuff and rarely went over 85mph.
The stage I was refering to ended with a very twisty steep downhill with lots of camber in the corners. It ended at a hwy near Artic tavern. Maybe Artic Loop? Gorans navvie was Colleen Currid and I think the car we passed was Rod Johnson's Subaru
We were a top 10 car, usually about 5th/6th but as high as 2nd overall. Attrition got us several places. You gots to finish. This reliability got me 2nd overall in NW and a class win. Navvies come and go so consistancy helped me there. Mike, I think was 2nd in class and about 5th overall. Mike figured out we averaged about 45mph for the season.

We ran the season without support. A couple of times Mikes wife drove our tow rig to the service area. Rally has changed, a lot. Give me wet slippy stages at 4 am and I'll be back.

RCF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts