Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Western Canada's "Group D" sounds great. A few weeks ago Bill Westhead posted the following:

Cdn "historic" class doesn't really exist. Out west we have Group D as a regional-only class, but the rules are very simple: "Vehicles manufactured more than 20 years ago" (no cut-off date that I'm aware of).

Question:
Is Group D completly informal or is there a Regional acknowledgement of the class.

Rich Smith

·
Registered
497 Posts
It is only a class in the "Western Canadian Rally Championships", the regional series here in western canada.

I think...

·
Registered
497 Posts
And its a cool class. The car doesn't have to comply to any historic regs but can still be competitive (within the class).

I was in Grp2 before but my car will now run GrpD for the regional events.

·
Registered
215 Posts
D stands for Dinosaur, often applies to drivers as well as cars;) I know, I've competed in D and still feel like one in P1!

Martin

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes, it is a formally recognized class in Western Canada. The class winners are awarded class trophies at each event, and there are trophies at year end for the class championship winners.

Group D is basically 20+ year old Group 2 cars.

It's a great way to "recycle" the old metal, and make it affordable for new people (or sometimes old people) to compete.

It's kinda funny to see young guys competing in cars that are older than THEY are!!!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yeah, the cars that Adam (510) and I (Celica) run were 'born' before we were, I don't know how old Eric is, but he can't be too much older than his car.

Its the easiest way to get into the sport, IMO.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
>Yeah, the cars that Adam (510) and I (Celica) run were
>'born' before we were, I don't know how old Eric is, but he
>can't be too much older than his car.

You young pups...

Keep up the great work!

Ben

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Viva

Thanks Guys.

Hats off to Western Canada! Your comments have said it all. What a great outlook!

(Gee Wally, can we do that here in the States too?)

Rich Smith

Viva "Group D"

·
Registered
273 Posts
Actually, I do have a few months seniority on our Group D Rabbit. But that's all ;)

But I agree, Group D is a great way to get started. As it's really hard to keep 20+ year old cars totally original, the group 2 rules are nice. Though I believe you are supposed to have an engine from the same vehicle manufacturer (I.E. no chev powered z cars or the like), and it has to be roughly the same vintage (no brand new electronic variable valve timing etc...). Displacement is limited to 5100cc, I believe it was meant to allow mustangs.

-Eric

·
R6 L6 R6< 800
200 Posts
I believe the 5000 cc answer would be in error. Certainly one could not purchase a 20 year old Mustang and then prepare it to run in the D class, or anywhere in Canada for that matter. CARS rules specifically state that all cars logbooked after Jan. 1, 2001 are limited to a maximum capacity of 3000 cc.
This even prohibits Group 5 cars from the US from competing in Canada if the displacement is over 3000 cc.
Why do I state this? I am the organizer of the Galway Cavendish Forest Rally in Ontario and my assistant asked the CARS President if we could invite US group 5 vehicles to our rally. The answer was that there would be no insurance on a car over 3000 cc, and therefore they were forbidden. I'd like that to change, but information provided to me states that it will not even be considered.

Peter Watt

·
Registered
213 Posts
The 5000cc allowance is a leftover in the rulebook to "grandfather" cars that were legal in their day, but not to allow NEW 5000cc cars. In Alberta, we have 2 5-litre Mustangs that used to run, so the rule was there to continue to allow them to run. Neither of the 2 cars is in active competition right now (and I think permanently), so it's a moot point.

But Peter is right when he states that no new cars can run with more than 3000cc.

There was also a Chevy pickup down east with a 4.3 litre engine that the CARS rules grandfathered to allow it to run, as well. That truck has since been dismantled, so that rule has faded from the National rulebook.

I suppose when it comes to rule changes in Western Canada this year, we really should get around to removing that 5 litre allowance from our book.

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
actually Dave, one of the mustangs (well, Capri actually) is currently for sale, and the other si a source of constant specualation ...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Given it's limited future use in rallying, I don't know anyone who would buy Palmer's for rallying. Someone who buys it will probably use it for street or other racing usage.

And Wall's Mustang is no longer rallyable, so that takes care of both of those cars...........

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey...I noticed at Big Horn that some of the older cars were listed as Gr2 and GrD.

Where can I find copies of these rules? My plan was always to run my '74 Saab 99 in Gr2; now I'm wondering if my plans for it would allow it to be in GrD?

Basically what I'm planning is:
-'74 99 shell (of course)
-but with appropriate firewall mods to accomodate a later 8v 'H' engine from a 900 (but in Europe 99s did come with the 'H' engine too)
-but for reliability, and just for kicks, I'm going to put it on SDS (because I have a system on my street car, and I don't know carbs and I hate distributors)

Still okay for GrD?

·
Registered
497 Posts
You can run GrpD for the regional rallys as long as you fit the rules for Grp2 and are older than 20 years.

There is no GrpD for National events so people who would run GrpD in the regional portion of the event are forced to run Grp2 if they want to run in the national portion of the event.

That way we get the benifits of the national event but also stay competitive in GrpD at the regional level.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts