Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Group5

In the CARS Board Meeting on Nov 22nd it was officially passed that Group5 will be allowed in Canada for 2005.

The details will be in the 2005 rules book but here are some of the important points,
1- ( & most important for now ) G5 is ok'd for region series only at this time. It will not be a recognized National Championship series.
2- The maximum displacement will be expanded to 5100cc. ( adjusted )

Other than that G5 will basicly follow the current 2004 SCCA G5 rules.
For more details please contact the CARS Technical Director Paul Westwick at pacificms(at)carsrally.ca

Martin, ( & others with or building cars)
I hope this helps and Ilook forward to seeing this car you have been working on very soon.

Ray Felice
RSO President & ONT Director CARS

·
Registered
555 Posts
WOW! Some great news!!!! I hope lots of competitors support this class. It makes sense for many vehicles, cant wiat to see em out there!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Affordable rally car insurance is supposedly on the way. This company is going to start issuing its first policies around Christmas. Have a look around the rest of the CASC and Toronto Subaru Club forums for more recent updates on the coverage.

I know this will be available in Ontario, but I'm not sure about the rest of the country. It would be worth asking the company if anyone is interested.

http://racing.kos.net/soloforums/showthread.php?s=&postid=35531#post35531

(Apologies for the off-topic post - glad to see Group 5 is coming!)

Edit: speeling

·
Registered
319 Posts
Excellent news! Not so sure about the "regional only" I guess that means we'll be considered Open if we participate in the National portion of events?

When is 2005 schedule released? Can we expect Perce-Neige to still be early Feb? That's what we're aiming for as our first event.

-Martin.

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>When is 2005 schedule released? Can we expect Perce-Neige
>to still be early Feb? That's what we're aiming for as our
>first event.

Martin:

The 2005 schedule is on the CARS website.

Doug Woods

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>Speaking of scheduling, it's a shame that Tall Pines 2005 is
>over the US Thanksgiving holiday. Given the number of US
>entries this year, that could mean lower entries.

John:

In Canada, we usually consider a long weekend as a bonus in attracting entries since it means one less day required off work. Not so in the US?

Also, I think the later date is an attempt to get back to a snow/ice/dirt/whatever rally.

Doug Woods

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>>Speaking of scheduling, it's a shame that Tall Pines 2005 is
>>over the US Thanksgiving holiday. Given the number of US
>>entries this year, that could mean lower entries.

>In Canada, we usually consider a long weekend as a bonus in
>attracting entries since it means one less day required off
>work. Not so in the US?

I've heard US competitors say the came to Pines because it was on the Thanksgiving weekend. Thursday - Turkey with family, Friday - travel and reg, Saturday - rally, Sunday - travel.

>Also, I think the later date is an attempt to get back to a
>snow/ice/dirt/whatever rally.

I think this year was one of the few where Pines wasn't on Thanksgiving. That being said, the date is driven by outside influences since it is the first weekend after the close of deer hunting season.

Adrian

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
I have to second what Doug says... Our plan is to drive to Peterborough weds night before the event next year...Then spend a day and a half enjoying the area.
Then again, I've had more than my share of turkey.

·
Registered
319 Posts
>>Speaking of scheduling, it's a shame that Tall Pines 2005 is
>>over the US Thanksgiving holiday. Given the number of US
>>entries this year, that could mean lower entries.
>
>John:
>
>In Canada, we usually consider a long weekend as a bonus in
>attracting entries since it means one less day required off
>work. Not so in the US?
>
>Also, I think the later date is an attempt to get back to a
>snow/ice/dirt/whatever rally.
>
>Doug Woods

Hmmm.. I looked this morning before I posted this. I gues I wasn't awake yet and didn't look in the right spot.. I'll go try again :)

-Martin.

·
Open AWD Extraordinaire!
1,216 Posts
Adrian,

Unfortunately for us, it's a 12-14 hour tow to Bancroft from Bangor. Last year, we left at the crack of dawn and was able to get to Bancroft in time to have dinner.

This year, due to car issues, we didn't leave until 12:30pm, and the rig arrived in Bancroft at 2am... ON FRIDAY.

It's hard enough to get time away (from family) to do these long haul events, but it's a double whammie having a rally on Thanksgiving.

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>>Also, I think the later date is an attempt to get back to a
>>snow/ice/dirt/whatever rally.
>>
>>Doug Woods
>
>Hmmm.. I looked this morning before I posted this. I gues I
>wasn't awake yet and didn't look in the right spot.. I'll go
>try again :)

Martin:

Look in my front yard.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
319 Posts
>>>Also, I think the later date is an attempt to get back to a
>>>snow/ice/dirt/whatever rally.
>>>
>>>Doug Woods
>>
>>Hmmm.. I looked this morning before I posted this. I gues I
>>wasn't awake yet and didn't look in the right spot.. I'll go
>>try again :)
>
>Martin:
>
>Look in my front yard.
>
>Doug Woods

Doug,

That's where I looked this morning :)

Found it now, threw me earlier when the heading didn't change once I'd clicked on 2005 schedule...

Only 10 weeks 'till Perce-neige!

-Martin.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Adrian,
>
>Unfortunately for us, it's a 12-14 hour tow to Bancroft from
>Bangor. Last year, we left at the crack of dawn and was able
>to get to Bancroft in time to have dinner.
>
>This year, due to car issues, we didn't leave until 12:30pm,
>and the rig arrived in Bancroft at 2am... ON FRIDAY.
>
>It's hard enough to get time away (from family) to do these
>long haul events, but it's a double whammie having a rally
>on Thanksgiving.

From an event perspective, it can't run any earlier than the weekend after deer season (for obvious reasons). In previous years (like the mid '90s) leaving it another week would have meant that we couldn't have run the rally since the forest roads would be too deep in snow to get through (that was before we ran the Hastings and Bronson/Iron Bridge stages that mostly get plowed in the winter). Mayo Lake and the Peanut area don't get plowed (or, as you noticed, maintained).

Adrian

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Doug,
Most of us take whatever time we need to in order to rally. As Eric noted, I feel fortunate that in five years we haven't had to miss an important family holiday to do it.

I realize there are practical reasons for the date. We'll see next fall whether it'll work for me or not. I know that some of my crew already can't come because of the date.

Cheers! John

·
"Go fast then bah bah bah"
222 Posts
I have to agree with John on this. Its unfortunate having it run on the US Thanksgiving weekend. Specially if they add a day for recce (its was one of the discussed options to solve the problem from this year). I understand the need to run it after the close of deer season but Thanksgiving is one of the two major family holidays for us down here in the low lands.

-Tim
Wazoo Racing

1 - 20 of 29 Posts