Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SA @ T
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In conjunction with the Canadian Motorsport Hall of Fame Archive I am embarking on a massive project to document old Canadian rallies. I started with the Shell 4000 www.shell-4000-rally.org and that project is complete enough to allow the book to be done. Next on the list is the Canadian Winter Rally. Ultimately, we want to have a master repository containing records from all long-distance rallies.

The first goal will be to get the results and reports on a web site like the 4000. To back that web site up the second goal will be to build a research collection with as much documentation as possible, photocopies, originals or at least identification of the owner of material. The third goal will be to ensure none of the original material is thrown out. The Archive http://www.cmhf.ca/findex.html will be the designated repository.

If anyone has material that could be used to build the collection please contact me [email protected] so we can arrange to get it to me on the catch and release (borrow and return) program.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Great news!

Let us know if you need any help and what we can do...that's not just the royal "we" in Westhead either! I think you will soon find quite a few people coming out of the wood work with scrap books, memories, etc.

Meanwhile, to get things going here's a lead: the WCRA inherited the UBC Sports Car Club rally archives, including an awesome scrap book with old Thunderbird photos. Paul brought it to one of the events, in 2003 I think, so maybe you've seen it.

Anyhow, I also know that Wilkinson's Automobilia has some old issues of CT&T with some rally event coverage, including the Winter Rally. Not a bad source, but primary documents are better...I bet Doug Woods or Tom Burgess can help with this aspect.

Good luck and thank you Marcel!

Bill Westhead
rallying since 1998
dreaming/following since 1978

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>Not a bad source, but primary documents are
>better...I bet Doug Woods or Tom Burgess can help with this
>aspect.

I have thrown out almost all of my old rally documentation. I have a few wall plaques, trophies and photos from the Canadian Winter Rally that I would be happy to share. Most of my CWR stuff is in my head, which is a rather dangerous location to store anything these days.

The best sources of CWR information might be John Bellefleur, Paul Manson and Bob Lindquist. Also Bruce/Betty Schmidt and Hayden/Sylvia Gozzard. Not too many oldtimers visit SpecialStage.com, so they will likely have to be contacted personally. Terry Epp at CARS can probably help out with contact info.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got to hear some of those stories on Thursday night. We had an interesting meeting in Kitchener with the following special guests

Don Leonard & Mary Ellen Cooper
Tammi Ruttapold
Bruce and Betty Schmidt
Paul and Marsha Manson
John Bird
Walt Kammer
Dave Cady
Terry Epp
Reg and Shirley Hillary
Ernie Wilson
Sylvia Gozzard
George Daszkowski

Man, that was an interesting group to get together. I could have listened to the stories all night. Look over the list and with a little research you will find we had many of the top rallyists in Canada from the 60's and early 70's.

One of the funny ones is in one Shell 4000 rally Sterling Moss was driving and leaving a checkpoint he went to spit out of the window, only to have his false teeth fly out the window as well. He reversed to pick them up and ran over them!

I've got some pictures I'll put on the KWRC web site in a few days. I'll post here when they are up. We also videotaped the evening.

Many thanks to Marcel for all the help in getting material for the evening.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Not sure this is of use to you, but I have mint rally plates from the 1961 and 1968 Canadian Winter Rallies. I'd never let go of them - they're front and center on my wall - but I can send good photos.

I also have all the Road and Tracks from 1959-1990 and the rallies are covered in there in some years. Also of course there were several Canadian magazines (Track and Traffic?) that had coverage.

Marcel probably knows (I'm having a buffer loss here) that guy who moved from Edmonton to Nanaimo who was selling a lot of historic stuff, including a certain amount of Canadian rally memorobilia, on ebay. Goes by speedpylot I think. Had entry lists, regs, and even a route book if I recall.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
SA @ T
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
>
ACP

>Not sure this is of use to you, but I have mint rally plates
>from the 1961 and 1968 Canadian Winter Rallies. I'd never let
>go of them - they're front and center on my wall - but I can
>send good photos.

Is it possible for you to take those plates down and scan them? I have all the Shell 4000 plates scanned at 300 DPI so I'd like to have the CWR plates in the same format.

>I also have all the Road and Tracks from 1959-1990 and the
>rallies are covered in there in some years. Also of course
>there were several Canadian magazines (Track and Traffic?)
>that had coverage.

I'll be getting the T&T research collection from the archive, but the R&T is of interest. I know Ed Deak has many zines with the CWR covered and I'll be scanning those next time I visit with him. Do you have an inventory of the articles or is it a case of leafing through the table of contents?

>Marcel probably knows (I'm having a buffer loss here) that guy
>who moved from Edmonton to Nanaimo who was selling a lot of
>historic stuff...

Yea, that's Paul. I know him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts