Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I see that "Customers who shopped for this item also shopped for:"

The Complete Far Side, Gary Larson

I'm sure this says something about us(rallyists) as a group, but I'll leave that bit of analysis to the experts(all the other rallyists).:p

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>I see that "Customers who shopped for this item also shopped
>for:"
>
>The Complete Far Side, Gary Larson
>
>I'm sure this says something about us(rallyists) as a group,
>but I'll leave that bit of analysis to the experts(all the
>other rallyists).:p

What does it say that some of us actually voted for Larson as a 'write in' candidate in the Presidentail electins a few years back?

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>THere is a pic from the olympus either 87 or 88 it looks
>like a FX16 corolla car #30 does anyone know who that is?

Don't have the book, can't see the pic, but could it be the Watanabe brothers? I think they ran in Grp A then and I think Niall Leslie campaigned an FX16 in the Production class during that era.

Halley ...
ProRally #86
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
29 Posts
They used them as course opening cars. Driven by actors one of which was the actor who played (sp)McGiever. He happened to roll his.

In the race Doug Shepard drove one built by TRD. I believe the red-line was 12,500-14,000 rpms.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The actors driving the course opening cars ware Richard Dean Anderson(McGyver) and Perry King(Riptide). I was told by one of the radio people at the stage start that they got involved in a little wheel-to-wheel racing while opening the stage and ran each other off the road.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>>THere is a pic from the olympus either 87 or 88 it looks
>>like a FX16 corolla car #30 does anyone know who that is?
>
>Don't have the book, can't see the pic, but could it be the
>Watanabe brothers? I think they ran in Grp A then and I
>think Niall Leslie campaigned an FX16 in the Production
>class during that era.
Nial Leslie used a rwd Corolla GTS in Production with good results, and was supposed to do Olympus WRC 1988 heading straight out just after a P class win and 6th ot 7th OA at STPR as a "GpA" car but due to some amazing bullheadedness on inssisting on attempting to install the new RC Engineering motor with the locally scrounged volunteer crew (which consisted of Paul "the Pom" Morgan, Dave "Doivi Clarkanen" Clark, Gary "Kari Roilainenen" Reynolds, Rick "Rickdiculous" Delamere, and Senor Crew dude John "The Flying Flem" Van etc, me who drafted in the crew with 2 hours notice) and as predicted by Senor Crew dude, there was a problem. The block was for a front drive motor and some lugs were not drilled and talpped for rwd use, so some alternatoror PS brakets would not have a place to bolt thru to.

As it was, the motor installation took till after scrutineering time was past, so Leslie did just the National portion behind the WRC event
and it is told that Toyotas unhappiness at him missing the agreed upon WRC entry cause the loss of assistance despite US SCCA and Canadian CASC and North American Rally Cup P class championship titles.

Harsh indeed and that was that for Niall.
Except for the debts.
>
>Halley ...
>ProRally #86
>http://www.realautosport.com

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>The actors driving the course opening cars ware Richard Dean
>Anderson(McGyver) and Perry King(Riptide). I was told by one
>of the radio people at the stage start that they got
>involved in a little wheel-to-wheel racing while opening the
>stage and ran each other off the road.

Yep, in 1987, six months after the excellent last GpB 1986 WRC, things fell aparts when they were arranged at the very last minute and displaced the local drivers Dave Dunn and Sam Bryan (who would later go on to win a Gp2 and Gp5 National title in the mid 90s) who had spent every weekend for 2+ months checking and rechecking the course, literally told the morning of the start "Thanks but we don't need you, we have some Hollywood stars".

The two numb-nuts were rat racing for all they could manage, the cheif of Pace Operations, and friend of mine Rod Johnson from Issaquah, WA was in the one car and when the two morons crashed and rolled, individually within 50 yards, he sufferend a slightly cracked skull (no big loss for him!) and bad cuts.
The stage was then, before the first sweep car ever made it to the end, opened with no radio communication between start and finish controls, Markuu Alen being first car out.

At the stage finish, another friend who was vey worried at the lack of two cars and no radio communications, on his own, decided to head back down the (now hot) stage.

Alen was not very happy at meeting my man who thought it best to act like he was a lost civilian.

A cock-up we have seen on ESPN as a very steamy Alen at Shelton service threatening to quit on the spot.
Bad news, and soooooo much dust.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
>THere is a pic from the olympus either 87 or 88 it looks
>like a FX16 corolla car #30 does anyone know who that is?

I think there were two FX16s in each of 86 and 87.

In 86 it was Scott Child in one and the Watanabe brothers in the other.

In 87 it was Nick Moore in one and Ron Sullivan in the other.

This is just off the top of my head; I don't have the results or an entry list handy.

BB

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
>does anyone have an old entry list the car is #30 if that
>helps. I cannot read the names on the front fenders so I
>cannot tell who it is.

RallyBase has some partial results.

In '86, the Watanabes were Car 21 and Scott Child was 28.

In '87, Nick Moore was 47.

None of the results list a car 30, but as mentioned they are only partial lists. I know I have some of the results at home somewhere, but I just moved so everything is in boxes, plus I won't be home until Monday night. I also have some pictures I took at these rallies, so I'll see what I can find. Is it a color or B&W photo? If the former, what color is the car? Does it look like a north American license plate?

Ben

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IT is a color photo, the car is turning up a hill in Seattle it looks like. THe car also have a Graham Toyota sticker on the rear bumper that is why I assumed it was a North American driver. There is a sign for the Rialto theater in the back of the photo, car is Red and white no plate is visible. Blue cage padding that is as much info as I can see. hope this helps I am really curious.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.