Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched the "One Hour" coverage of the "Great American Race" last night and enjoyed it.
It went through some of our counrties beautiful country side with some great looking vintage vehicles.
There was even some drama with some of the favorite teams.
Then at the end, they rolled into Monterey over the finish line, and that is when I almost lost it.
The winners received a nice little check over $60.000.00 USD!
I'd be grateful if the SCCA would just pay my "Hotel" bill.

I'll leave this now open for anyone to figure out.

Whiplash RallyeSport

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
First you start with a half million dollar, irreplacable antique automobile.....

I might add that finding people to back such an event, being as it will be personally witnessed by hordes of people, especially when such backers include Jack Roush (who can bring MBNA, Army Reserve, et. al.), is a lot easier than selling ProRally.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
(who can
>bring MBNA, .....

Actually, Rob Bergstrom sponsors MBNA

I watched it as well. Pretty cool but not as cool as Targa NF.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I agree that the Great American Race is not as cool as Targa NF, but still ... $60,000 to the winners! About $250,000 in total purse! That gets my attention. Based on what I think people are spending on fully prepped stage rally cars, I think that a good Great American Race car could be purchased. Would a reliable running '56 Ford cost more than a Group N Subie? Which car would be worth more in 10 years?

It's a completely different type of event than stage rallying from a driver's perspective, so I suspect that most people on this website would not be interested or would dismiss this event as being too tame. I've never competed in it. However, from a co-driver's perspective it's still about not getting lost and being on time. Oh ... and did I mention $60,000 to the winners.

Steve McKelvie
Co-Driver Targa NF # 903

·
Registered
253 Posts
$60,000 for first prize is acually down from the early years (started in '83) when it was $100,000. However you might not be factoring in that entry was $6,000 per car (I don't know what it is recently). So you are starting with a 1/2 mil budget before corporate sponsorship is added.

Then's there's how they play the towns off each other to get perks to have the cars stop there for lunch or overnight. These towns wouldn't be interested in seeing a bunch of WRXs & Mitsuibishis, like they are for the pre WWI "class brass" cars.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I looked into it a few years back. "the word on the street" was that the "winner" is not just about a clock- or mileage- based competition. There are some subjective judgements involved. In other words, do the event if it sounds like a good time, not because you think your driving/rally skills might be helpful....

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts
I've done the GR 7 times between 1990 and 2000. For the most part it is a fair rally competition. In the early days, when Buick was a big sponsor, sometimes "allowances" occurred to make a brass era Buick do better, but we all recognized that there were two games going on....a rally and a circus. And the circus paid for the rally. Papa Joe is right...a LOT or irreplaceable antique cars....so entry fees and prize money is fairly irrelevant to these competitors. It's kinda like credit. Those who have good credit don't need it.

And don't underestimate the marketing. These folks are working every angle 24/7/365. And they've been doing it solidly since 1983 (well, I guess there were some weak years). But when Great Race comes to town, it's not unusual to see 20,000 people at a city square for a day finishing ceremony.....and there are 13-14 of these over a two week period. VERY marketable.

Performance rally tends to sneak in and out of town. And has NEVER been known to market itself even 3/3/75. Anybody talk to Jack Roush lately? He'll tell you exactly why no big sponsor has stepped up. (I don't have that answer.....ask Jack!)

Kim DeMotte
Official Old Fart, etc.

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
>However you might not be factoring in that entry was $6,000 per >car.

SCCA Pro/Rallye entry is $ 1200.00 USD with the option to win a warm, wet handshake.
Not to forget the cost for service crew, hotels, etc. (rough estimation $ 8-10K)

Whiplash RallyeSport

1 - 8 of 8 Posts