Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
I put the hurt on dirt
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On watching the coverage of the rally (sunday) there was one stage with some swift asphalt turns smack in the middle of the the stage.
I had heard the reason this wasnt done was because of safety. Ralf commented that it was done in the past but abandoned because of a cost issue and that with central servicing this wouldn't be an issue any longer.
One point; I know that group B cars changed rally into what it is today.
so, I would think that Shaheen's comment was wrong because teams wanting make up time on the pavement section of stage would have horible tracion on the gravel sections and vice versa.
Were the gravel/pavement sections integrated into stages? Or were the stages separated into strictly gravel and plain pavement durring and event. I must admit, watching the cars squirm on the gravel tires was a blast, and the TV coverage was great.
I know the US has incorperated small super special stages into it's gravel events (doo whops 00') are there other examples, could we cross highways like this?

Adam Crane
co driving gun for hire (or partnership)
CCCP- Join the party

PS. Could The Peugoet team be winning because its tall drivers are stareing throught the stearing wheel? (check out in car shots of dick burns, he looks like a twelve year old.)
pps what happend to the spellcheker?

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>On watching the coverage of the rally (sunday) there was one
>stage with some swift asphalt turns smack in the middle of
>the the stage.
>I had heard the reason this wasnt done was because of
>safety. Ralf commented that it was done in the past but
>abandoned because of a cost issue and that with central
>servicing this wouldn't be an issue any longer.
>One point; I know that group B cars changed rally into what
>it is today.
>so, I would think that Shaheen's comment was wrong because
>teams wanting make up time on the pavement section of stage
>would have horible tracion on the gravel sections and vice
>versa.
>Were the gravel/pavement sections integrated into stages?
>Or were the stages separated into strictly gravel and plain
>pavement durring and event. I must admit, watching the cars
>squirm on the gravel tires was a blast, and the TV coverage
>was great.

Rallies like San Remo and Portugal used to run both tarmac and gravel stages, usually split in the middle of the rally. This would necessitate changing the car from gravel-spec to tarmac-spec (or vice versa) in the middle of the rally to be . This was dropped to reduce the at-event expense. So, of course, the manufacturers now build gravel-spec cars and tarmac-spec cars. A small portion of asphalt in the middle of a stage isn't a major concern.

Adrian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts