Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will give a more detailed debreif later... Rim was great. Hot Import Nights was a lot of fun. Packed TONS into the last 3 weeks. Bicycled all over San Fran, rode the trolley, did Fisherman's Wharf and all that schtuff. Met tons of great people. Did Socal for a week, too. Toured Mazda, Huntington Beach, karting center in Anaheim, Tri-Point Engineering (SPEED World Challenge Protege team), etc. Rim was rough...too rough for my suspension valving. I just drove to survive it. Still enjoyed myself.

Thanks to all the workers, Paula and Mike, etc. Thanks to my crew and co-driver (Starsky, Zoolander, and Sherman) and to Mazda for making it all possible.

Lurch

·
Registered
868 Posts
Lurch,
Good job bringing the MP3 in for the RIM finish. It sure was a bumpy loose surface huh? I was probably too conservative on the bumps even though my DMS suspension can handle it. It was the rest of the car that I thought was going to be shaken to bits.
The highlight of the event for us was that long paved stage Friday night.
We had some road penalties due to a minor mechanical issue. Our radiator fan became disconnected and we lost time on stage as a result. Also, Saturday night we saw a rally car off the road with no triangles out and no okay sign. Rick yelled at me to stop as we went past (I agreed it was the right thing to do). He jumped out, ran back 50 yards, opened the Evo's door in the dark and checked to see if anyone was inside. Nobody was around.
Anyway, we made it to the finish thanks to Dave Clark & Doug Chase.
Dave Hintz
Car # 207
p.s. I thought Styles/Dillon and Thomas/Reed did a great job at Rim. And thanks to the organizers for keeping the entry fee relatively low.

·
Straight At "T"
297 Posts
We came across the Evo as well. It didn't look like the sort of mishap that would have injured anybody, but the rules say stop for a good reason so stop we did. We carry a big plastic OK sign (with a red cross on the other side that I hope we never need) so we can tape it to the car if that ever happens to us (er, WHEN it happens to us?).

Dave, sorry I was so unfriendly again this event, I decided to come down with the flu Thursday evening and spent every possible minute in bed or trying not to hurl. I managed a personal record low of 1 beer Saturday before collapsing into bed and I had to force it down (what madness is that?!).

I'm better now though, bring on STPR!

-Doug

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
>Yeah. We stopped and wasted about 20 seconds at the white
>Evo 7 too. I heard others did as well. Kinda pissed about
>that.

Check your rulebook...the OK only needs to be displayed for the next three cars. This is pretty silly, since as a following competitor, you have no way of knowing how long the car has been there. Write the PRB.

The missing triangles are another matter. I trust somebody reported this, so the offending crew can be penalized?

Bruce

·
Registered
281 Posts
rule change?

ok, that I did not know (back to reading the book AGAIN). Is that something that might be changed? Triangles fall over, get run over, blow away, etc. Is it being looked at for a rules change? What is the thinking behind the rule in the first place, maybe I am missing something.... Just want all angles before I submit a rules change request.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
RE: rule change?

What are you trying to change? Do you think triangles are a BAD idea? Do you think it should be OK to NOT post triangles and let everybody fend for themselves? Help me out here...I'm confused.

BW

·
Registered
281 Posts
RE: rule change?

sorry, i think if the OK sign is used, it must be placed on the car in some way that it will stay on the car if you leave it, thus if the triangles don't stay (for some reason) the OK sign is still out until the car is removed from the course. Basically, if the car is on the side of the road it either has the OK sign or the red cross. The triangle rules are fine as they are...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I am the co-driver of the white Evo 7... This is my first time at the forum...

First of all, I want to offer my deepest apology to all the competitors at the RIM, for us not displaying the triangle and the O.K. sign. It's obvious that we are new at this sport (our 2nd event), and this being our first incident, we have A LOT to learn. We DID display the O.K. sign and the triangle at the reminder of stage 12, the stage that we were off. When the sweeper truck showed up at the end of the stage, we were told to pack up and the truck will tow the car down. However, we didn't expect the sweeper truck to tow the car at an angle that further plant our car into the brush/ditch. We were told to leave the car at site, since the next stage was about to start. To our own neglect, we didn't realize that we've already packed up the trianlge and the O.K. sign.

We are very, very sorry, and didn't mean to cause delay in any of the competitor's stage time. Please accept our humble and sincere apology, as us beginners are trying to learn the rope of getting familiar with this great sport. Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,
Julie

·
Registered
868 Posts
Julie,
As I thought about the situation, I actually figured there was a good chance you guys didn't even know the stage would be run twice. In some rallies involving multiple runs through a stage, co-drivers have been notified at the stage start about the location of any wrecked cars left on-stage from a previous run. Ideally there will still be some triangles out, but this sort of notificaiton at the stage start can be an additional safeguard against this sort of thing.
To the organizers' credit, they were willing to take 30 seconds (or something like that) off our time, but we declined because it really ended-up being irrelevant to us.
Best of luck on your next event.
Dave
Car # 207

·
Sucker for good roads
717 Posts
OK Sign Requirement

The only provision for not displaying the OK sign after the first 3 cars pass is if the car has crashed and is not visible from the stage road or has been taken away from the stage road.

Absolutely no hard feelings, but we certainly don't want to get the least bit complacent with unmarked crashed cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts