Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

just wanted to remind everyone that there is a fantastic opportunity for North American drivers to do well on the world stage this weekend. With the currently listed and confirmed entries in the WRC Mexico this weekend, there is a definite possibility that we can have some top results from our drivers, better than ever before, and the fact that Travis has a nominated wild card entry in the PCWRC means that he will gain added international exposure from the syndicated programme (which we dont get over here).

Ken has obviously been giving trav a good run for his money, and it being a very long event, they both will have to remember that this is 3x normal "american" rally distance - so keep it on the road and watch your brakes !

Peter has also an excellent chance to do well.

Wyeth, who has the most experience of all of them at this event, also stands to do very well, possibly a surprise result for all. And John's position in the A6 class will also make things more positive.

For all of you who constantly whine about this and that, let's put our collective heads together and hope that they all make the finish. Top results from our representatives on the world stage will lead to further development of the sport, I know this for a FACT. I dont wish my experiences from 2003 on anyone, and lets band together to give them the moral support that they need !

-Pat

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
RE: Good Luck Travis & Ken, Peter, John and Wyeth

Right on. As much as I sound like a whiner on here (I'm told), I'm pulling for our boys. Do us proud, guys.

Best of luck.

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts

>Hi
>
>just wanted to remind everyone that there is a fantastic
>opportunity for North American drivers to do well on the world
>stage this weekend. With the currently listed and confirmed
>entries in the WRC Mexico this weekend, there is a definite
>possibility that we can have some top results from our
>drivers, better than ever before, and the fact that Travis has
>a nominated wild card entry in the PCWRC means that he will
>gain added international exposure from the syndicated
>programme (which we dont get over here).
>
>Ken has obviously been giving trav a good run for his money,
>and it being a very long event, they both will have to
>remember that this is 3x normal "american" rally distance - so
>keep it on the road and watch your brakes !
>
>Peter has also an excellent chance to do well.
>
>Wyeth, who has the most experience of all of them at this
>event, also stands to do very well, possibly a surprise result
>for all. And John's position in the A6 class will also make
>things more positive.
>
>For all of you who constantly whine about this and that, let's
>put our collective heads together and hope that they all make
>the finish. Top results from our representatives on the world
>stage will lead to further development of the sport, I know
>this for a FACT. I dont wish my experiences from 2003 on
>anyone, and lets band together to give them the moral support
>that they need !
>
>-Pat

Go Peter, Wyeth and John!

Too bad Travis and Ken won't be running this one....

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

sorry my bad - I was just looking at the entry list and thought since they had not withdrawn that it was still going to happen.

Of course, its too bad that this opportunity provided by the mexican federation is missed. Such is life !

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts

Yes, best of luck to everyone.

Did ACP get Peter's car through the border yet?

I really like what John Cassdy is doing.

All of you 2WD guys, who have been spending the winter moaning on SpecialStage, had the same opportunity to rent an identical car.

Doug Woods

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts

>All of you 2WD guys, who have been spending the winter moaning
>on SpecialStage, had the same opportunity to rent an identical
>car.

Kinda cheeky. Mazda doesn't have a homologated 2wd car. And I couldn't race a Yugo without sponsorship.

I'll save up another 5 years so I can rent a GN car for those altitudes, thanks.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

>
>>All of you 2WD guys, who have been spending the winter
>moaning
>>on SpecialStage, had the same opportunity to rent an
>identical
>>car.
>
>Kinda cheeky. Mazda doesn't have a homologated 2wd car. And
>I couldn't race a Yugo without sponsorship.
>
>I'll save up another 5 years so I can rent a GN car for those
>altitudes, thanks.

Or rent for a euro round.

Mexico doesnt make it a whole lot cheaper (My airfare to Spain was cheaper than to Mexico)

And AFAIK we dont get the HOT entry deal anymore?

So if your renting for a one-off, why Mexico? (other than typical weak entries so you can score higher).

Good luck people!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

>Yes, best of luck to everyone.
>
>Did ACP get Peter's car through the border yet?
>
>I really like what John Cassdy is doing.
>
>All of you 2WD guys, who have been spending the winter moaning
>on SpecialStage, had the same opportunity to rent an identical
>car.

I remember giving it some serious thought Doug but the program put a bit more stress on my job and family than a normal race. I am proud of John for doing what he did and wish him well.

Too bad for a few things though:

1. We are all individuals and some of us are more vocal than others and perhaps in less effective ways than others regarding how we feel about the sport. Unfortunately Doug you have lumped us all together with your 2wd comment. You must like stirring things up as much as I do.

1.5 I sure hope you weren't talking about Eric Burmeister. Lurch has the best attitude of any ralliest I know considering how he has poured his life into the sport for many years. Eric Burmeister has put in his time and should be treated with respect. We could all learn from him and I have a lot of respect for him on and off the stages.

2. The real issue behind the lack of 2wd entries is.......a lack of entries as a whole. That makes our events less profitable and should concern everyone, no matter what they drive.

I think that this is an issue that needs to be tackled locally, that is where the solution starts since that is where the action and support can come from.

Sorry for the threadjacking

Good luck boys and Cindy

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts

>I'll save up another 5 years so I can rent a GN car for those
>altitudes, thanks.

Eric:

I believe that John's rental deal was $15k for everything - car, entry, service, tires, spares, etc., in a well sorted car from Peugeot Mexico.

There were three cars available. I am really surprised that no-one else from Canada or the USA took the deal.

Is it better to spend $15k in a season of 2WD obscurity in the USA or spend the money and have the experience of a life-time, with memories that will last forever?

I had the same choice in 1973, spent the money (more than $15k in today's dollars) and did the 1000 Lakes Rally in Finland. One of the best rallying decisions that I ever made.

To each their own.

Doug Woods

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts

>I sure hope you weren't talking about Eric Burmeister.
>Lurch has the best attitude of any ralliest I know considering
>how he has poured his life into the sport for many years.
>Eric Burmeister has put in his time and should be treated with
>respect. We could all learn from him and I have a lot of
>respect for him on and off the stages.

Jake:

No. I also have a lot of respect for Eric.

More a comment to the 2WD community. Really, three months of "how we 2WD guys are treated so poorly" was just getting a bit too tiresome.

Anyway, you all have your 2WD championship now in the USRC. Make the most of it.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
768 Posts
RE: No balls - no glory

- I think it's a joke that two American factory drivers don't have balls to enter, specially when they are there anyway. Never heard of this kind of "preparation" before...
- Christian boasted that Travis is "as fast as Latvala" (21-year old Finn).
- Well, we never know when rally millionaire's sitting on the fence eating dust and watching working class stiffs spending their hard earned money number on the door.

·
Registered
464 Posts

yeah - the impression certainly is that T&K are a couple of chickens sittin on the chicken wire fence. Surrrrre there's equipment problem. Pete and or probably Pat can bring you down cars to use. The wild card may simply be for someone a bit more wild.

Ken Bock Bock Bock. 43 chickens sittin on a fence. 199 bottles of chicken juice on the wall.

tee hee. just kidding. I'd be scared too.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

The other Pugs were rented very early, I think the cars were taken in Oct 2005. So Doug your comment failed to consider that other 2wd drivers might have worked on the program and been very interested only to have the good 2wd cars rented before we finshed getting all the details. I learned a lot from the effort though and will be better prepared to act on an opertunity like that in the future.

Still I think it makes more since to rent a car in Europe than Mexico anyway.

Derek

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts

>I believe that John's rental deal was $15k for everything -

Like I said...I'll save up another 5 years.

>Is it better to spend $15k in a season of 2WD obscurity in the
>USA or spend the money and have the experience of a life-time,
>with memories that will last forever?

Depends on whose 15K I'm spendin'. My memories in the USA are not enhanced or tarnished by how many eyes outside the US are on me.

To each his own indeed. Being a wannabe in one series or a neverwas in another. I'm here for fun until I can't get sponsorship anymore. Then I'll move on to something else. And I'd like to try rally organizing or promotion at some point, for love, not money...but I certainly can't go broke on the endeavor, either.

Rally on.

edit...thanks Jake. Pasties on me. Well, not actually ON me...

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts

>>So if your renting for a one-off, why Mexico? (other than typical weak entries so you can score higher).<<

Careful Matt.

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
RE: Good Luck Travis &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; Ken, Peter, John and Wyeth

>>>So if your renting for a one-off, why Mexico? (other than
>typical weak entries so you can score higher).<<
>
>Careful Matt.
>

No, I wasnt trying to be a dong.

(I looked at renting a 206 from the Cassidy plan this year too!)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts