Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks John...
Thursday night and we are up here now..
Tim P. Dave S. and me.. I here that Vittorio is also here.
Outside is a huge thunderstorm roaring over.
We all hope it blows over by tomorrow.
The weather channel shows light chance of rain for the weekend.
Sounds like conditions could work out great.
Sorry you couldn't make it.
See you in Maine..

·
Registered
62 Posts
John,

Talk about impatience! :)

The rally only start in 50 minutes, so you surely won't find any result yet!!

Hopefully, we can have tonight results sometime today or early tomorrow!!

Pou

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats to all those that finished Baie! :)

Looks like Pat brought it home! I wish I could have been there to see he and ACP trading times. Looks like it was close except for that early stage where ACP lost some time.

Julien and Marie-Eve bringing home the warhorse P-4 WRX in Thrid! And only slightly off Pat and ACPs times! Marie-Eve is a brave co-driver Julien! ;-)

Randy Z bringing it home in FIFTH! Damn Randy, do you ever lift?! ;-)

Vittorio and Forest bringing home first in P3 with the new Focus SVT! Nice job guys! :)

Brian and Sarah look to be second in P3 in the Neon! Sweet!

The ever consistent Ksenia and Sergei bringing home the VW third in P-3!

Nice job everyone! :)

See you all at a rally soon! John

·
Registered
232 Posts
John,
Tim and I went off on the third stage, so our rally was too short. The Labrie/Labrie team went off on the same corner and we got caught out as well. They were a well prepared team. They were even equiped with bug spray which was used liberally as we waited for the sweep cars!

The car had starting problems while waiting to start the first stage. We also had some overheating issues with the Audi on the second stage which caused us the slow down considerably about 2/3 of the way through the stage.

The New England contingent certainly enjoyed the rally! Vittorio and Forest worked hard to make repairs to the Focus' steering and oil pan. Dave and Jeremy had trouble with a blown tire on the first stage which led to suspension problems. Brian and Sarah just put fuel in the tank. Tim and I would have liked to have finished the rally, but ....

The Audi was not the last overheating issue that we had to deal with on the weekend. On the way home, in New Brunswick, we came upon a house with smoke billowing from under the eaves and by an electrical box. We stopped on the side of the road and went went to the house. We sent a local to get the fire department. We also got a fire extinguisher from the rally car. As flames started to appear from the wall in the vicinity of the electrical meter, Tim was able to put them out. While this was happening, I discovered an unlocked door and entered the smoke-filled house and went room to room to see if anybody was there. Fortunately, nobody was there. Shortly thereafter, the local fire deparment arrived and put the fire out after it start to flame up again. Not all that much damage to the house but one room will need a complete rebuild.

Steve McKelvie

·
Registered
378 Posts
>I'm anxious for people to get home so we can hear some more stories.

Well, this FIA central service concept sure makes life easy for us crew types! And the organizers were nice enough to locate the service park only about 10km from the end of A1, which made it easy for crews that wished to do so, to get out and watch their car take the three successive jumps in the last 300 hundred meters of A1.

The last jump -- which had bleachers set up alongside it, and porta-potties for the crowd -- was pretty good oogling, let me tell ya!

Pat came down the hill and over the first two small jumps at what looked like 100+mph, and was picking up speed until the moment he launched over the last big kicker. We didn't bring the tape measure, but I'd guess he was in the air for 120 feet. Smooth landing and back on the gas while the crowd was still ducking for cover.

Pat was visibly faster off the crest than the following cars, but it appeared the stage captain wasn't happy about how some cars were blowing right through control (<100m past the last jump) while still bouncing around after landing. At some point (after ACP or les Pilons came through?) they moved the red finish placard down to the crest of the jump, and that discouraged most of the rest of the field from hitting the crest flat out. Which the crowd was none too happy about, but: better safe than sorry.

I only watched through Tim and Steve (first 25 cars?) so I can't say for sure, but in my opinion, the award for Best Non-Pat-R. Air Of The Day was awarded to Mr. Brian Goss in his green Neon. He appeared to out-fly all the EVOs and WRXs in the field (Pat excepted). Big crowd-pleasing FWD crunchy endo landing, too... there's a reason the little Quebeckers are starting to line up for his autograph!

-Isaac

p.s. I was disappointed not to see more cars (and more top-tier cars, in particular) out on the Gaspé this weekend. I don't know what more you guys want in an event! Great roads, central service, lots of spectators, beach-front hotels... they even had the car wash running for free!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Isaac, thanks for the report! Baie is a great event, as are most CARS events. They are run in a very consistent and professional manner. Fourth of July weekend is a hard weekend for some people to get away. We were there last year, and will probably be there next. Couldn't go this year, as we've been waiting for our new car(still not here) to be delivered.

You get WAY more bang for your buck rallying in Canada then you do in the US! Plus, the production class structure makes so much more sense.

Cheers! John

·
600 /CR !!! R2>
450 Posts
>The New England contingent certainly enjoyed the rally!
>Vittorio and Forest worked hard to make repairs to the
>Focus' steering and oil pan. Dave and Jeremy had trouble
>with a blown tire on the first stage which led to suspension
>problems. Brian and Sarah just put fuel in the tank. Tim
>and I would have liked to have finished the rally, but ....

Brian started having transmission problems on the second-to-last stage and was concerned that he wouldn't finish, but he ended up with a class podium finish! And And kudos to Vittorio and his crew for taking the win even after puncturing his oil pan!

We drove some 5-6 km on the wheel rim after said blown tire took a vacation on the transit back to service. The suspension was ok, Dave just thought it felt a little soft. We lost another tire on the final stage and had to change it, so that 5-minute pit stop dropped us from 17 to 20.

I'd like to say that everything I've heard about the Friday night stages is true. I wore a scop patch for motion sickness and still spent the entire weekend emptying my stomach. But at least we finished!

--
JP Rowland jeremyrowland -at- mac.com
Co-driver, #896 Audi 4000 Quattro turbo, Open
Visit my boring web page: http://homepage.mac.com/jeremyrowland

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
RE: Baie!

The roads were very entertaining and except for the long wait for the awards, I wouldn't change a thing, a super event.
I thought 900 miles would be a long way to go but it was worth it, Highly recommended!
Videos to come, I hope some pictures start showing up.
rz

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

Thanks to everyone for their support. We had a flat on that Friday night stage and with 12km to go we had to change it. Shame as we were at it tooth and nail with Pat and it would have been a good battle to the end I think.

Great roads (except for the odd drag-race section - we saw 201km/h which is 5th on the rev limiter) and great spectators as always. Thanks to all, especially the crew who once again showed themselves to be some of the most professional amateurs in the country.

ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
Flirting with the laws of physics.

PS don't judge the jump contest until you see photos from C1 - according to spectators on that one we had a loooong one, and it's the first time I've ever hit that last jump knowing we were on the right line. If you go to far to the right you will do a Levac. Too far to the left and I always worry about the left-side spectators. You have to jump slightly left-to-centre on the launch. We lined it up on C1, didn't lift, and the jump was finally satisfying. C2 wasn't quite right so I lifted before the launch. Will post photos when we get them.

http://www.performancerallyimages.com/baie_des_chaleurs_rally_page33_m.htm

A.

·
Registered
378 Posts

Is that the beginning of B1 -- the "odd drag-race section"? Where it's ruler-straight right into that double-90 kink?

-Isaac

·
Registered
36 Posts

Oh boy do need more power!!!! those long straight sections just killed the wagon... I think I got 4th gear 5 times all weekend?? but man what a great time .It was cool to be able to see first hand how good Pat,Julien,ACP,Paynter,zimmer etc realy are!!!! I know how fast I was going then to see the top stage times and compare how fast they "had" to be going WOW great job guys and a special thankyou to Randy Z for the Friday night "how to drive a under powered Subaru" driving school at the hotel as we made all the way up to 12th on the road by the afternoon stages on Saturday :+ but got bit by a rock in the dust and finished 16th .What fun, great people and lots of new friends I hope we can do lots more in the future .
P.S. ACP I never lifted once for the jump at brule... but then I didn't know you were suppose to... but I'm sure your speed and my speed were ALOT different:p

Steve Q

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

Actually the straight on the 25km C1 and C2 was longer (1.7km and you can see most of it when you begin) and that's where we saw the top speed. But B1 was a drag race too.

Steve - I didn't get the chance to congratulate you as we didn't get to make a speech, but we were watching your progress and John Paynter spoke very positively about you. Congratulatinos on an outstanding result in what I believe was your first rally? But then 600hp stadium trucks are a good introduction, right?

Yes we have to lift at a number of the jumps. Even in Finland only the very brave (read: stupid) go off flat out. Occasionally you can. Our Brule jump on C1 was almost flat-out.

Keep it up, Steve. Oh, and Randy - keep embarrassing everyone, OK? good drive both of you.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts