Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's saturday, I'm at work, and I'm really freakin' bored. So here's my Golf theory:

No, not the VW Golf, I'm talking about the sport where you chase a little white ball around on the lawn. It's a great sport that I never bothered learning to play, but nonetheless enjoy. Anywayz, a couple weeks ago I was out of money and so I couldn't work on the car. Instead I began watching the end of Golf tourny on TV. As I was watching some 22 year old from Australia putt for $900k, I had an epiphany. GOLF IS PROOF POSITIVE THAT PEOPLE WILL WATCH A SPORT LIKE RALLY!

Think about it. Golf and rally are really similar. In golf you have seperate holes and the oject is to complete the hole in the fewest number of strokes. In rally you have seperate stages and the object is the lowest time. Both are rewarding how efficiently you can traverse a course broken into segments. Golfers play one at time against each other on multiple holes simultaneously. Rally racers race one at a time against each other on multiple stages simultaneously. At any given time the guy leading a golf tourney or rally race may very well be playing/driving behind his competition. It is not possible to see an entire golf tourney, so fans pick a tee, green, or fairway and camp out and watch. It isn't possible to see an entire rally race, so fans pick a spot and watch. I can go on and on here, but I think you get the idea. Rally is really just golf without clubs but with a kickass golf cart.

On the TV/promotion side of Golf, they do a great job of keeping the action moving by switching to different holes, following different battles and stories, all well keeping abreast of the leaders. The same can be done (as is to varying degrees of success) in rallying. But here's the kicker, PEOPLE WATCH THIS STUFF! And companies pay big bucks to sponsor it. The Nascar/NFL "all at once" format is not the only accepted format in sports. Golf proves that a rally type format is appealing to the masses. Granted, those masses may be a bit aged, but guys like Tiger Woods are really bringing the average age of the golf fan down.

Ok here's my point. Too all the naysayers who claim that rally will never work over here, that it's too slow, or that people only wanna see side by side racing, or that it's too hard to follow, or that sponsors will never be interested, or whatever... I say look at golf. The format works, we just need to learn to work the format.

Ok, nuff said. Just wanted to throw that out before I forgot. I better get back to work....

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
660 Posts
I think the big thing golf has going for it is that the huge number of folks that watch pro golf are themselves golfers. I bet Rally TV does just as well with Rallists as golf TV does with golfers. The main difference is there's WAY more golfers than rallists. My father in law is rivted to golf because he can imagine himself out there, and he says "WOW! That hole would have taken me twice as many strokes". He looks at Rally and goes "huh, whatever".

Golf doesn't care if they get rallists to watch golf, they just need to be good enough to capture the attention of amature golfers. However, rally is unfortunately needs to figure out how to get golfers to watch rally...

Same example works for fishing shows, gardening shows, home repair shows,...

Jim Cox

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Golf doesn't care if they get rallists to watch golf, they just need to be good enough to capture the attention of amature golfers. However, rally is unfortunately needs to figure out how to get golfers to watch rally...

Rally doesn't need golfers to watch, rally needs more car enthusiasts to watch.

Golf just ruins a good walk in the park}>

·
Registered
62 Posts
Golf also has the advantage of being easy to get into. There are public courses, and after clubs, shoes, and funny looking pants, you could easily get on the course for $500 or less. Build and race a rally car for $500 or less (interesting idea for a project)! I think we do need to get car enthusiasts out to Rally, that is why I am going to the NOPI nationals to hand out information on Rally Racing. I know a few people in the forums don't like the drifters and "rice" boys of the world, but they are already one foot in the door for becoming rally racers.

My $.02

James Bond

·
Registered
145 Posts
Allway thought that a Golf courses would make good Motocross tracks!
Were I live theres Golf Courses all over. I drive by and think " Man I would love to get my Dirt bike out there." Sorry guys playing through

For years I thought that if you could do a race track and a golf course at that same place you mite make some money? Anyone want to invest. We could have the PGA and PRO Rally all at once.;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Great analogy (to golf).

And yes, it's car enthusiasts in general, and not rallyists in particular, needed to help give the sport some exposure.

It seems to me that if the (SCCA/NASA/whoever) really wants to grow the sport, they'd make a great promo video/DVD, provide each club member with multiple copies (complimentary) to loan out to their NASCAR/Hot Rod/Bling-Honda/motorcycle/ etc buddies. The video would combine exciting footage AND a neophyte's intro to HOW a rally is put on.

Who else has tried to verbally EXPLAIN rally to a friend, only to realize you've just thoroughly confused them?

I'm still one of those who is cautious about wanting MORE exposure for the sport, but feel that if there is more public demand & sponsor interest, there is more likely to be roads & land available for club level rallying along with the "Pro".

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
>

>
>It seems to me that if the (SCCA/NASA/whoever) really wants
>to grow the sport, they'd make a great promo video/DVD,
>provide each club member with multiple copies
>(complimentary) to loan out to their NASCAR/Hot
>Rod/Bling-Honda/motorcycle/ etc buddies. The video would
>combine exciting footage AND a neophyte's intro to HOW a
>rally is put on.
>

actually, the SCCA already did that about three years ago.
Soul Impact did the Video. I don't know what happened to it though.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Well, they made *a* promotional video... I don't know if I'd call it a *great* promotional video... It only had footage from Rim of the World, and the near subliminal blinks to shots of babes was kinda lame.

JB

·
Registered
533 Posts
Golf does a great job of making it about the player. There is fantastic competitor recognition. Which, by the way, was supposed to be one of the goals of this years coverage...

Digressing on that subject: I was watching an American LeMans race a couple of weeks ago, and before the race, they went through the grid using canned footage of the drivers introducing themselves. It went somewhat like this: "I'm JB Lewis from Fridley, Minnesota, I drive the number 45, Champion Audi R8 with Joe Blow."

If a few hours could be found at Sno*Drift, and Rim (Since, as I recall, Sno*Drift does air until about the time Rim runs) to shoot something like that with each driver (10 minutes per driver). They could spend 5 minutes near the beginning of the program showing that and significantly improve the competitor recognition.

JBLewis

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
RE: one method to expose potential fans and then some

I'm curious how many competitors will be there in October for a November rally? Let us know.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Celebration of RallySport Party

>I'm curious how many competitors will be there in October
>for a November rally? Let us know.

Lots. Check out the photos from last year's party.
Why wouldn't a team want more publicity, the opportunity to promote the sponsors they have and the possibility to attract new sponsors?

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
RE: Celebration of RallySport Party

I'm not an organizer but I'm guessing that the party on the docks in Canada's largest city is to build enthusiasm and bring in press and publicity for the event in time for people to plan to attend rather than expecting people who hear about it a day afterward to jump in their time machines and attend yesterday.
---
All kidding aside, this is a tactic that being done already by a real-live rally, not an idea just typed out on a keyboard and looking for validation.
---
rz

·
Registered
3,258 Posts

I'm sure the team would want it. That's not the issue that I might think could cause the problem/issue. It's fine for locals. But I would have thought to get the most out of it that it would be the Thursday before the event therefore not requiring extra travel/time off from work for the working class peons.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts

>But I would have thought to get the most out of it
>that it would be the Thursday before the event

TallPines offers a nice Parc Expose in Bancroft before the event starts when the spectators will be there. Bancroft is a small town which population probably doubles during the rally and is no where near the size of Toronto. And perhaps splitting the dates between the party and rally, the organizer can focus on them seperately. Don't know. I too will miss the party.
Hope to see you at the rally.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts